Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Momentary switch on my Powergear Slide
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Momentary switch on my Powergear Slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may not hear anything binding. The motor for the slide could just run out of steam and trip circuit breaker.
Switching the load wires will make the switch be backward operation. I think you know this!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're right, so the next time it failes I'll pull the panel and test the connected apparently failed out going switch legs with the multimeter. That should give me the answer about this switch.
Thank.

2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should try to locate the relays and circuit breaker. Look for a loose connection which could cause higher amperage draw

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your switch is rated at 5 amps MAX 12 volt. That means there are either relay's or a control module that runs the motor for the slide room. Usually the wall switch is a GROUND(Negative) powered switch. All it does is complete the Neg power to the control board or relay board. Now to the click you hear. On a Jayco, that is classis 12 volt CB tripping. Go to your 120/12 volt power center breaker box and have someone operate the slide to get that click sound. I will bet it is the CB tripping and it resets within 15 to 20 seconds. It may be as simple as they installed a 15 amp when the circuit needed a 20 amp. Your Model the Breaker box should be in the footboard of the Bed. If you lift the mattress you will see a sheet of wood paneling with a few screws securing it. Remove that wood panel and you will see all sorts of Converter and Inverter(if equipped) and Transfer box and the controls for the slide outs. Doug

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a "me learning" question...

None of these slides use limit switches?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

This is a "me learning" question...

None of these slides use limit switches?

NOT mechanical limit switches. They use a amp controlled electrical limit switch. Some use a CLUTCH, that rachets when fully extended or retracted. When the amp draw increases from a stopped movement, the Control sees that raise of amp draw and disconnects the power to the motor. Doug

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

The problem is more likely the slide out controller.. The problem is where the )Q(#@*$U#@! they hide those things.. I've had 2 controllers fail me.

FWIW, I have spent tons of time on a top to bottom scavenger hunt (even using a remote camera) trying to find my ‘ supposed slide controller’ with the same momentary switch with no luck whatsoever...Former Camper manufacture (now defunct) POC employee had no idea either...On an older thread I can recall one seemingly knowledgable individual say that his camper’s same maker PowerGear Slide-out set-up had no such controller... So far, no troubles for me (fingers crossed) but I’m still in the dark...

3 tons

Did same thing when my controller totally failed.

So cut the wires to the motor and built a "Manual" controller (no over current protection)

Finally got a cable tracker from harbor Freight hooked the transmitter to the leads from the controller and followed the cable bundle with the wand till I found the @#[email protected]#)(($*@# COntroller.

On my rig it was in the basement. on the cealing in the Front end of the FRONT most compartment under the slide.. Logically it should have been ... farther back.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

3 tons wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

The problem is more likely the slide out controller.. The problem is where the )Q(#@*$U#@! they hide those things.. I've had 2 controllers fail me.

FWIW, I have spent tons of time on a top to bottom scavenger hunt (even using a remote camera) trying to find my ‘ supposed slide controller’ with the same momentary switch with no luck whatsoever...Former Camper manufacture (now defunct) POC employee had no idea either...On an older thread I can recall one seemingly knowledgable individual say that his camper’s same maker PowerGear Slide-out set-up had no such controller... So far, no troubles for me (fingers crossed) but I’m still in the dark...

3 tons

Did same thing when my controller totally failed.

So cut the wires to the motor and built a "Manual" controller (no over current protection)

Finally got a cable tracker from harbor Freight hooked the transmitter to the leads from the controller and followed the cable bundle with the wand till I found the @#[email protected]#)(($*@# COntroller.

On my rig it was in the basement. on the cealing in the Front end of the FRONT most compartment under the slide.. Logically it should have been ... farther back.

I appreciate your input Sir - so far all is good but I’m truly dreading the day that a gremlin of sorts decides to raise it’s ugly head - I like your smart wire tracer idea, and I’ll give a try on my next go around!

3 tons

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Momentary switch on my Powergear Slide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.