Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Coffee maker off inverter and battery in a truck camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Coffee maker off inverter and battery in a truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was more thinking this was more about if you are going to have an inverter of big enough size any way, you could also run a coffee maker.

Fwiw, I bought a 2000 watt inverter with the thought that I could run a 900 watt heater if I really had to for a little while, but usually just use the 300 watt for tv/etc. With modern TVs/DVDs even 300 more than enough.

Still, this thread is interesting to me.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

The logic of all of this just eludes me. The Melitta is overpriced at $10. But it appears that an alternative is a 110v coffee pot with a $1000 lithium power supply.

I don't understand..Yes.the first test was done with a $1000 Jackery power station with a built in 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter but the second test was done with a group 24 agm battery(brand new thids year $200) I already had in the TC and a very old inefficient $39 Coleman inverter..

Yes,there are other ways to make coffee..I have three percolators and a pour over just like yours only porcelain. The wife prefers coffee from a coffee maker and if the truth was told,I do too..The coffee maker was $17 from Walmart yesterday,so that price is not bad in my opinion..

We all have choices including how we like our coffee..I just showed how most can use a coffee maker with an inverter..I used that old inefficient Coleman for the test because that was all I had over 500 watts..I am looking hard for a 1000 watt pure sine wave but have not decided yet on which one to get.

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

2oldman

The Q

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent.. good job. My only question would be that a battery doesn't usually rest at 13.1 volts. And as another poster suggested, your battery isn't going to be freshly charged in the morning.

Anyway, good work. And now we know another 50 ways to make coffee.

* This post was edited 09/04/20 07:55am by 2oldman *

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Excellent.. good job. My only question would be that a battery doesn't usually rest at 13.1 volts. And as another poster suggested, your battery isn't going to be freshly charged in the morning.

Anyway, good work.

I had just taken the battery off of my Noco Genious 10 charger/maintainer so that's probably why on that..And I do things differently than most,my TC only came with one battery so I keep a fresh group 27 as the house battery and I have stand alone batteries I use for TV/Movies/cpap/charging phones and laptops and my Engel compressor refer/freezer..

I use the motobat agm in a smart battery box for the engel cooler and the jackery for all other stuff because it is portable and at 22 pounds,easy to put wherever I want it or need it, in the TC.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talking about used batteries.
In the past my bus conversion had 4 golf-cart batteries for house bank.
At the time I was making 1l of coffee (over a quart) every morning, we used the power for water pump (decent showers with 100 gallons tanks) and old-fashion lights with fridge and w/h control boards.
The batteries needed recharging on day 3 or 4. I had $2600 inverter/charger in the bus, who was doing excelent job and in 12 years I remember adding water to batteries twice.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

2oldman wrote:

Anyway, good work.

I had just taken the battery off of my Noco Genious 10 charger/maintainer so that's probably why on that..And I do things differently than most,my TC only came with one battery so I keep a fresh group 27 as the house battery and I have stand alone batteries I use for TV/Movies/cpap/charging phones and laptops and my Engel compressor refer/freezer..

I use the motobat agm in a smart battery box for the engel cooler and the jackery for all other stuff because it is portable and at 22 pounds,easy to put wherever I want it or need it, in the TC.
So you have 3 batteries? Of course that works fine.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like another poster don't drink coffee but my wife does. On our recent road trip she even bought the smallest coffee maker at Walmart because she doesn't like to use the French Press.

We actually have a great real world example of the abilities of these batteries. To start with, we have 200w of solar on the roof coupled to a 100AH Battle Born LiFePo battery. I also have a 2000w inverter wired up with some very short and very thick cables.

Our usage was determined by our twin girls who needed milk about every four hours. We had two bottle warmers (but for space reasons eventually just used a single warmer) that pulled about 350 watts each. Each bottle required about 4 minutes of heating. That is 8 minutes times 5 feeds per day. The wife also ran her coffee maker once per day and that was somewhere around 500w I think for maybe 7 minutes. That is 47 minutes a day of heavy draw on the battery and we did this for nearly three weeks straight. We only had one time where the camper battery got low on us and required use of the DC to DC charger from the truck (normally not connected for reasons behind this post). We did stay at sites with hookups when possible but it wasn't all th time.

My take away is these heavy loads work just fine on a good battery. I think I will add another 200w of solar to help with charging as I think in cloudy or shady conditions, the panels would have a tough time keeping up. Note that because we had hookups from time to time, our experience isn't the same as someone boondocking for three weeks but then I don't think many other people are warming two bottles every four hours in addition to their coffee.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's any consolation, I understand your point here: Making a pot of coffee off your battery is not the end of the world.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

2oldman

The Q

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Making a pot of coffee off your battery is not the end of the world.
Nope, we just thought it was the end of the battery.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

Making a pot of coffee off your battery is not the end of the world.
Nope, we just thought it was the end of the battery.

Yup.

The original poster of the most recent inquiry of which I am aware was thinking about a coffee maker on an 80 AH (ie, 960 WH) flooded cell lead acid battery using a 2,000 watt inverter. Such a battery is capable of at most 480 WH of power before you start drastically shortening its useful life. The combination of that battery, that inverter, and a coffee maker is, um, less than ideal.

Just for what it is worth, there is nothing magical about electric coffee makers. And when your most limited power source is an 80 AH battery, propane, either to run a percolator on your range top or a French press makes a lot more sense. You can do either of these for around $30 and have coffee out the yin-yang several times a day, every day until the cows come home. Or you can upgrade your battery, buy an inverter, spend your $500 more or less and use that electrical coffee maker to your heart's content. Your money, your choice. Choose wisely.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Coffee maker off inverter and battery in a truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.