Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Coffee maker off inverter and battery in a truck camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Coffee maker off inverter and battery in a truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a portable inverter/battery unit. I hated it because it was extremely heavy and difficult to move around. I never used it in my RVs though.

For RV usage, I prefer an onboard battery/inverter system. I've been using onboard inverters since my days of working at a major inverter manufacturer, dating back to 1993 when I installed a 1000 watt inverter in a cargo trailer.

Here's my newest inverter installation, a Victron 2000

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I had a portable inverter/battery unit. I hated it because it was extremely heavy and difficult to move around. I never used it in my RVs though.

Enter Lithium batteries..Jackeries largest power station only weighs 22-23 pounds but I know what your talking about,I have a group 24 agm in a smart battery box with volt meter and two marine sockets and it is heavy compared...I'm afraid I'll break the plastic handle on the box, so I use the end handles..

After our last power outage, I wanted something that did not require gasoline for the house..

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or use propane and skip the whole process. It also heats up the rig as an added bonus.

JtTribe

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To my knowledge and experience Jackery is one of the lightest with good amount of output of course there is othwr systems with more output but they also are less portable as they weigh more and their size increases as well. Jackery is great all around in my opinion. Anyone else agree?

hedge

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been making coffee this way for a few years. I have a 1000w inverter and we have a Keurig B130 hotel model. It draws up to 60a when making a cup but it's only for about 45 seconds. We usually make 4 cups in the morning and it hardly touches the batteries.

2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s really funny when people say “that’s way too much money to spend on being able to use an electric coffeemaker” but they have over $100,000 into their rig to go camping. Often financed with interest, and depreciating all the time.
Folks spend seemingly crazy amounts of money on frame tie-downs when they’re nothing you can’t make with a few pieces of steel, a welder and a chopsaw. That’s universally accepted and recommended here.
Lots of people also drop $4-$5 on a cup of espresso every day. That’s pretty expensive.

If I’m gonna “camp” in a ridiculously expensive rig so I have all the comforts of home, which to me includes using my electric coffeemaker, so be it!

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moka pot, stainless model

No consumables

Works on various heat sources.

Can make coffee strong enough to float a mule shoe.

* This post was edited 12/26/20 09:57am by noteven *

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Propane works everywhere.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

It’s really funny when people say “that’s way too much money to spend on being able to use an electric coffeemaker” but they have over $100,000 into their rig to go camping. Often financed with interest, and depreciating all the time.
Folks spend seemingly crazy amounts of money on frame tie-downs when they’re nothing you can’t make with a few pieces of steel, a welder and a chopsaw. That’s universally accepted and recommended here.
Lots of people also drop $4-$5 on a cup of espresso every day. That’s pretty expensive.

If I’m gonna “camp” in a ridiculously expensive rig so I have all the comforts of home, which to me includes using my electric coffeemaker, so be it!

Really,that reminds me of the guy that spent $2K for a hunting rifle and had a powder company load up some premium ammo but put a $79 scope on that 2K rifle..Two shots and the scope failed and he was 1500 miles from home in the backcountry..He had to borrow the guides well used 30-06..LOL

Everyone has there favorite coffee and I have had it over a fire/sheepherder style with an raw egg for some of the grounds/electric percolator and ceramic,one of my favorite ways to perk..But now it is a 6 minute Mr Coffee 5-cup and everyone is happy off the Jackery 1000..

They are spendy but for $849 on sale you get a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter/a mppt controller for solar/a regulated 12V socket and all that ads up to 23 pounds total in one handy package..1000 watt hours and a 100ah battery has 1200 watt hours with only 50% useable..

Another reason was power outages and one we recently had..I have like 5 generators but when the power went out,I had no gasoline,used it all in the lawnmower and for saw gas..Lesson learned..None of the gas stations could pump gas..I did have kerosine for our Kerosine lights,so we had lights..The wood stove made cooking food possible but with our stove,you have to get it so hot,it runs me outside..LOL..There was enough gas in my Honda to use one time for the freezer and refer in the kitchen..No electricity for the internet and batteries on our phones were low..It just happened and the TC was our only option if it continued...

As mentioned here,I want my coffee on the go to be exactly the same as I get at home anywhere I am and without having to setup and mess with a generator..These little power stations do that for the way I travel in the hills...

Last but not least,I am always the first one up and don't want to wake up the bear with a generator for coffee so I could say,this Jackery has saved my life and made the days go good without cranky people..LOL..[emoticon]

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year..

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/20 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Everyone has there favorite coffee and I have had it over a fire/sheepherder style with an raw egg for some of the grounds/electric percolator and ceramic,one of my favorite ways to perk..But now it is a 6 minute Mr Coffee 5-cup and everyone is happy off the Jackery 1000..

They are spendy but for $849 on sale you get a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter/a mppt controller for solar/a regulated 12V socket and all that ads up to 23 pounds total in one handy package..1000 watt hours and a 100ah battery has 1200 watt hours with only 50% useable..

Another reason was power outages and one we recently had..I have like 5 generators but when the power went out,I had no gasoline,used it all in the lawnmower and for saw gas..Lesson learned..None of the gas stations could pump gas..I did have kerosine for our Kerosine lights,so we had lights..The wood stove made cooking food possible but with our stove,you have to get it so hot,it runs me outside..LOL..There was enough gas in my Honda to use one time for the freezer and refer in the kitchen..No electricity for the internet and batteries on our phones were low..It just happened and the TC was our only option if it continued...

As mentioned here,I want my coffee on the go to be exactly the same as I get at home anywhere I am and without having to setup and mess with a generator..These little power stations do that for the way I travel in the hills...

Last but not least,I am always the first one up and don't want to wake up the bear with a generator for coffee so I could say,this Jackery has saved my life and made the days go good without cranky people..LOL..[emoticon]

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year..

Zactly...that’s why we have French press at home, in the camper, and one at the cabin. No noise, no electricity, just really good coffee in less than 10 mins.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Coffee maker off inverter and battery in a truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.