Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Natchez trace
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Natchez trace

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Busdriver

Shepherdsville Ky 40165

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thinking about going, what places are not to miss

Busdriver 2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful drive! Stop everywhere!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many unique places depending on your interests. You can start your list HERE

2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 01:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

45 MPH

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second the notion that it depends on your interests. There is so much to see! I hope you have a lot of time and are OK with a slow pace. We loved our trip up the Trace back in 2018 (until our truck disaster).

I would post a link to my blog where I wrote about each day of our Trace trip, but the last time I did that here people got on my case for "promoting" my blog. (It's not a money-producing blog by the way, so the notion of promoting it is absurd.) If you would be interested in reading about our trip, PM me and I'll send you the link privately.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

www.nps.gov/natr

The National Park Service's website about the Natchez Trace. Great drive- I have done it twice.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bus,

Are you planning to run it from the north or the south?

There is a guide book available and I can't find our copy right now, it may be in the coach's library. But you want to have that. There is historical marker or place of interest about every other mile for 444 miles and no cross traffic at all.

This year was supposed to be our forth on the trace but the rally we planned to go to was cancelled.

Be cautious, some of the pull-offs may be a little tight for a monster coach and towed. We don't have that problem.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't miss it. It's a great drive. Just a few notes. The road is 2 lanes only, with no shoulders. Depending on when you drive, there may be some overhanging branches that you can contact while staying in your lane. Just look up and right and if you have to, swing wide. At 45mph, it's easy to do. Also, all of the points of interest are in the form of actual turnouts, not generally wide spots in the road. Many of these have an in and out lane but some require a U turn in the turnout. These are marked, but the markings are a small wood sign placed low along the ground and can be hard to see. Progress carefully. There are a very few campgrounds around mid Trace but the times I've tried to use them, they've been tight and full. The rules say you are not supposed to overnight in the points of interest, but when we were forced to do so, a number of Law Enforcement cars passed and no one stopped to even talk to us. Obviously we didn't set up camp when we spent the night. No chairs, no fires, no awnings, but we did put out slides.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Busdriver

Shepherdsville Ky 40165

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the replies!

two travelers

Smithtown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just north of Natchez around an hour ( I think) is a restaurant called The Old Country Store Restaurant in Lorman MS., 18801 Hwy 61. As the name implies it is an old (very) country store turned into a restaurant. Truly nothing fancy checkered table cloths and all sorts of nick nack in the shelves along the walls. The food is buffet style and is delicous. Not to be missed is the fried chicken which is the best ever. We stopped several years ago and gorged our selves on food and desert for $40. The owner came to tables and chatted then broke into song with some of the staff. If you can try and stop, it's well worth it. We met a number of people along the trace that shared our enthusiasm.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Natchez trace
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.