cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT dinghy or toad is good to tow ???

djsclassics
Explorer
Explorer
hi just getting back into the a class A . went from an 05 Providence 39s to a Forest river 30ft class C .Just never warmed up to it . Traded it in for a 2021 Forest River Georgetown 39 ft G5 . Wondering what is a good toad /dinghy. was thinking maybe a jeep wrangler or maybe a beetle , or even a mini cooper? would love to find one all set up for use with my blue ox tow bar, but just cant seem to fiqure out where to look for ones ready to go. Its really only gonna be used for towing, so not looking to spend a million bucks . im located in mass , but willing to travel to find something ready to go . any help /advice would be appreciated . thanks dan
26 REPLIES 26

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
We have towed hybrids manufactured by Ford Motor Co for 13 years. Started with a 2008 Mercury Mariner, then a 2012 Ford Fusion followed by a 2014 Lincoln MKZ and now tow a 2019 Ford Fusion Energi. All towed well, got great fuel economy and were comfortable for traveling around sightseeing at our various destination stops. Very little set up required, especially with our current 2019 Fusion Energi. Every time the transmission knob is placed in Neutral, a message appears "press L to engage neutral tow". If you do that, a message appears "neutral tow engaged" - - you shut off the car and you're ready to go - - no fuses to pull or battery cables to disconnect!

Several other Ford models are towable including the Escape hybrid and some models of the Edge as well as the Ford F-150 & Ranger trucks.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
djsclassics wrote:
hi just getting back into the a class A . went from an 05 Providence 39s to a Forest river 30ft class C .Just never warmed up to it . Traded it in for a 2021 Forest River Georgetown 39 ft G5 . Wondering what is a good toad /dinghy. was thinking maybe a jeep wrangler or maybe a beetle , or even a mini cooper? would love to find one all set up for use with my blue ox tow bar, but just cant seem to fiqure out where to look for ones ready to go. Its really only gonna be used for towing, so not looking to spend a million bucks . im located in mass , but willing to travel to find something ready to go . any help /advice would be appreciated . thanks dan

Always best to tow your DD and for having an extra vehicle to support for just being a Toad, will cost a million bucks in added expense, anyway.
As to your question, I vote for the Wrangler, hands down for ease of towing quirks and so that you're ready for any kind of terrain, once your get where you're going.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
We can fit two carbon fiber bicycles in our four door Jeep.
Normally, we use the exterior bike carrier. But when traveling dirty inclement weather, we prefer to keep things clean and put them inside.
So. . .it depends on what and how you use the toad.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Really comes down to what you want or need I’ve towed 2006 wrangler (still have it) 2001 and 2004 grand Cherokee, 2001 Cherokee, Chevy Cruze, and now have set up 2019 Cherokee but not toad yet, each one had a different set of nuances and it’s good to do a lot of reading before you buy.
Winnebago Access 24V

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 07 Jeep Liberty. Looking to get a Jeep Wrangler. If in a hurry, can unhook in less than 5 min. Easy to hook up too. Blue Ox base plate and tow bar. Demco Stay n Play break assist.
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
With so many toads to choose from, the OP should get what he wants to drive around when he gets where he is going. Sometimes we take the ranger pickup, put the automatic transmission and transfer case in neutral, that's it. Sometimes we take the 2 door elantra, put the standard shift in neutral and turn the key one click to unlock the steering. No fuse to pull, no running the engine, no need to stop after X number of hrs. There are many cars that are easy to pull.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
david1601 wrote:
We tow a Jeep Cherokee Tralhawk. Takes five minutes to hookup and unhook. Just a button to push pretty much.

It also is a very comfortable drive yet offers us the ability to do a lot of four-wheeling in the mountains. Easy to tow.

X2 but it doesn't have to be a Trailhawk. The Cherokke and Grand Cherokee are real luxury rides and with the right transmission they change from being a car to being a trailer in less than 30 seconds. The other 4 1/2 minutes is just connecting the tow bar, lights and brake.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a Jeep Cherokee Tralhawk. Takes five minutes to hookup and unhook. Just a button to push pretty much.

It also is a very comfortable drive yet offers us the ability to do a lot of four-wheeling in the mountains. Easy to tow.
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Three Honda’s; two Elements and a CRV. Two Jeeps, a CJ and a newer Wrangler.

I’ll stick with Honda’s as long as I can.

We drive around a LOT at our destination. The Jeeps beat you up on pot holed, rougher road. MPG is poor. Both mine were soft tops; fun but no security as far as going shopping and leaving stuff in the vehicle.

I must agree with the Honda's instead of getting beat up in a Jeep. We towed a Pilot for over 20,000 miles and it never missed a beat. Then, when we needed to use it, it was comfortable and secure.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Three Honda’s; two Elements and a CRV. Two Jeeps, a CJ and a newer Wrangler.

I’ll stick with Honda’s as long as I can.

We drive around a LOT at our destination. The Jeeps beat you up on pot holed, rougher road. MPG is poor. Both mine were soft tops; fun but no security as far as going shopping and leaving stuff in the vehicle.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second the Chevy Equinox. our's has been towed over 60,000 miles, and driven 68,000 miles. Regular preventative maintenance is all that's
been needed since bought new in 2013. Other than pulling one fuse (which I wired a switch to), and not exceeding 65 mph on a regular basis, also don't exceed 350 miles without stopping or at the end of each tow to run the engine for a short while (5 - 10 min.),it tows really well.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

Vw_triker
Explorer
Explorer
Bob b, I read miatas are not flat towable, I have a 1991, maybe it's just the older ones

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2015 Chev Malibu and it works well for us. We had a 2010 Malibu before that and neither have had any problems towing. Start it for a couple of minutes, put in neutral, shut off and disconnect 1 fuse (I have a switch that makes that disconnect) and ready to go.
Now if you really want something different, a 2012 13 14 Dodge Challenger RT or SRT with the 6 speed manual transmission and V8 Hemi is tow-able 4 down also. When you get where your going, your towed will get you around fast and lots of fun to drive.

Hope this may help Happy trails Bert.
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Look at a Chevrolet Equinox. All models were 4 down towable up to 2017, after then certain engine / transmission combos were towable. Easy to tow, start it up for a couple of minutes before and after towing, remove one fuse for towing. Hook it up, put trans in neutral, turn key to off, DO NOT REMOVE KEY, steering will stay unlocked till key is removed. Your ready to tow.