Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: WHAT dinghy or toad is good to tow ???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> WHAT dinghy or toad is good to tow ???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
stripit

Prescott

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wanted confort when we got to where we were going, so tow a cadillac SRX, very easy to hook up and make ready to tow.

Stacey Frank
2013 Tiffin Allegro 34QFA
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

djsclassics

ma

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the input guys. decisions decisions .

rconkin

Jonesborough, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just switched from 5er to class A. I ended up getting a Hummer H3 to tow. It was very easy to set up as the base plates took the place of the front tow hooks. The wiring kit for the lights was easy too. I installed them both in a little over an hour. I'm going to use the Ready Brute Elite II tow bar. When looking at H3's, I was amazed at what I could get for the money. I'm driving the H3 back and forth to work and got 16.5 mpg out of the first two tanks. It rides pretty good too.

2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
2007 Hummer H3 toad

"For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know!" Semper Fi

lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at a Chevrolet Equinox. All models were 4 down towable up to 2017, after then certain engine / transmission combos were towable. Easy to tow, start it up for a couple of minutes before and after towing, remove one fuse for towing. Hook it up, put trans in neutral, turn key to off, DO NOT REMOVE KEY, steering will stay unlocked till key is removed. Your ready to tow.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6

johnsonbert

Houston, TX-Ironwood, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a 2015 Chev Malibu and it works well for us. We had a 2010 Malibu before that and neither have had any problems towing. Start it for a couple of minutes, put in neutral, shut off and disconnect 1 fuse (I have a switch that makes that disconnect) and ready to go.
Now if you really want something different, a 2012 13 14 Dodge Challenger RT or SRT with the 6 speed manual transmission and V8 Hemi is tow-able 4 down also. When you get where your going, your towed will get you around fast and lots of fun to drive.

Hope this may help Happy trails Bert.

2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

Vw triker

Millboro, va

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob b, I read miatas are not flat towable, I have a 1991, maybe it's just the older ones

purplekeenah

greensburg, pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll second the Chevy Equinox. our's has been towed over 60,000 miles, and driven 68,000 miles. Regular preventative maintenance is all that's
been needed since bought new in 2013. Other than pulling one fuse (which I wired a switch to), and not exceeding 65 mph on a regular basis, also don't exceed 350 miles without stopping or at the end of each tow to run the engine for a short while (5 - 10 min.),it tows really well.

2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three Honda’s; two Elements and a CRV. Two Jeeps, a CJ and a newer Wrangler.

I’ll stick with Honda’s as long as I can.

We drive around a LOT at our destination. The Jeeps beat you up on pot holed, rougher road. MPG is poor. Both mine were soft tops; fun but no security as far as going shopping and leaving stuff in the vehicle.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

Three Honda’s; two Elements and a CRV. Two Jeeps, a CJ and a newer Wrangler.

I’ll stick with Honda’s as long as I can.

We drive around a LOT at our destination. The Jeeps beat you up on pot holed, rougher road. MPG is poor. Both mine were soft tops; fun but no security as far as going shopping and leaving stuff in the vehicle.

I must agree with the Honda's instead of getting beat up in a Jeep. We towed a Pilot for over 20,000 miles and it never missed a beat. Then, when we needed to use it, it was comfortable and secure.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

david1601

Foley, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a Jeep Cherokee Tralhawk. Takes five minutes to hookup and unhook. Just a button to push pretty much.

It also is a very comfortable drive yet offers us the ability to do a lot of four-wheeling in the mountains. Easy to tow.

2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> WHAT dinghy or toad is good to tow ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.