cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dually towing TT

Jethroish
Explorer
Explorer
Since I am towing a TT with my dually, I am posting here rather than the tow vehicle forum.

Since 2004, I have only towed a "bumper pull" when pulling my utility trailer. Aside from that, I have been towing a 5er or goose neck horse trailer.

We have just bought a 29ft TT with dry weight just under 4200#.
Not concerned about weight distribution, but...

...for those towing with a dually, do you use sway control?

Bringing the trailer home, I did not really notice any sway. Just a little "tracking" on road grooves.

Thanks

EDIT: Clarification...pulling home, the trailer was tracking a little bit, which I attributed to ruts/grooves in the lanes.
Do those that use a dually to tow a TT, do you use a sway bar or any type of sway control hitch?
Don't let your work become your life.

2018 RAM 3500 Dually 4x4 crew cab

[purple]2015 Shadow Select 4 horse LQ w/slide out[/purple]
2021 Jayco JayFlight SLX 264BH
16 REPLIES 16

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
Bringing the trailer home, I did not really notice any sway. Just a little "tracking" on road grooves.

Thanks

New tires can have tread squirm issues for several hundred miles till their broke in.
We have had members in the past report tracking issue that came from wrong tire/wheel installed from the factory. The were were too narrow for the tires tread width which balloon the tires causing them to ride on the center of the tread.
Some years back when the trailer came with bias ply tires the trailer wouldn't track the trucks radial tires. I doubt rv trailers today come with old tech bias ply tires.

I use a 2500 Dodge/Cummins 3500 DRW crew cab chevy pulling a 10k and 12k bumper pull trailers. No issues without a WD hitch.

I do use a Husky Centerline TS weight distribution hitch on a 1500 chevy where its badly needed.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Jethroish
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
You can see my rig in the signature below. We do use the Equal-i-zer four point WDH with sway control. Is it needed? Maybe not but it doesn't hurt and it makes my wife more comfortable.

It tows wonderful and have never had any issues in any and all conditions.

beemerphile1,
Thanks. We are taking a short trip in a week or 2. Only traveling an hour or 2 and will be mostly 2 lane roads at less than freeway speeds. Just going to have to feel it out a little bit.
I agree it is probably not needed, but may add a little peace of mind on longer trips. Especially on interstates.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You can see my rig in the signature below. We do use the Equal-i-zer four point WDH with sway control. Is it needed? Maybe not but it doesn't hurt and it makes my wife more comfortable.

It tows wonderful and have never had any issues in any and all conditions.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Jethroish
Explorer
Explorer
gerderts wrote:
I believe that the trailer sways, not the truck.

Yes.
However, I was looking for input from those that use a 1 ton dually, as their tow vehicle, so that I can get some input as to if there are less sway issues when towing behind a dually as opposed to towing behind a single rear wheel axle.
I have towed TTs in the past with a 1500 and used a WD hitch with sway bar. I also know that too much trailer will "own" the tow vehicle in some conditions.
Thanks for all the input.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Jethroish wrote:

No, just a weight distribution hitch.

I've towed a 21' TT and a 28' TT (these were the hitch to bumper length)

I also tow a 20' cargo trailer while my truck camper is onboard, no sway control there either.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
If the trailer does not sway, then it does not sway.

If you will be using a WD hitch then that will stiffen up the coupling and lessen chances of sway a little, but having a fat rear end like a dually will help to fight back a trailer that wants to sway also. I have towed swaying trailer with a dually and laughed at the trailer.

Load the trailer correctly so you do not introduce sway.
1,000s of RVers tow millions of miles with no sway control and never have sway issues.
Use sway control as a fix if needed, when needed or if ever needed...

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
guidry wrote:
In an emergency if the trailer is swaying you can just tap the brake controller to bring it back in line as you slow down. I'd recommend the sway control.

I've used the brake controller to stop induced sway from wind gusts, but having been in 2 emergency situations there's no way you have time to mess with the brake controller. In an evasive maneuver situation you want the trailer to track as straight behind the truck as possible with no driver input needed, that's what sway control is for IMHO.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Jethroish wrote:
Since I am towing a TT with my dually, I am posting here rather than the tow vehicle forum.

Since 2004, I have only towed a "bumper pull" when pulling my utility trailer. Aside from that, I have been towing a 5er or goose neck horse trailer.

We have just bought a 29ft TT with dry weight just under 4200#.
Not concerned about weight distribution, but...

Thanks

EDIT: Clarification...pulling home, the trailer was tracking a little bit, which I attributed to ruts/grooves in the lanes.
Do those that use a dually to tow a TT, do you use a sway bar or any type of sway control hitch?
I have towed TTs with a CC diesel dually since 2001. I always used WD with sway control. I am very picky about my setup... Having it dialed in the best it can be, can pay off once in awhile when things go horribly wrong. My TTs were heavier than yours, but I could tell the difference of a one washer adjustment on my EQUALIZER.... Many may not feel the difference, but I am picky.
With a TT as light as yours, I may forgo the WD especially if it is a diesel, but would use a friction sway control for sure... It is kind of like seat belts... You don't need them until you do.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Towed a TT same length as yours, about 1500lbs heavier many thousands of miles with a dually. Never used WD or sway bars. Only time I ever had any sway was with a utility trailer that was loaded with way to much weight on the rear & not enough on the tongue(my fault). Kept the speed low and all was ok.
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I never used sway control unless also using weight distribution.

Having said that, every trailer is different. I would pull it first and then decide. Some trailers just pull great, and some don't, and some don't pull really nice even with a sway control.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
In an emergency if the trailer is swaying you can just tap the brake controller to bring it back in line as you slow down. I'd recommend the sway control.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No, you don’t need any of that stuff with a truck that big for that light of trailer.
Would only need sway control it it’s a TT with horrible weight distribution anyway.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^???
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you have enough tongue weight you shouldn't have a sway issue. Your truck heavily out weighs your TT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad