Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
11 REPLIES 11

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
joerg68 wrote:
Read again, towards the end of the first part. The missing items had been recovered by a local towing company and they were returned to the owners.

I wonโ€™t be trying to read it again. I barely made it through it the first time, but thanks for pointing out that their items werenโ€™t stolen..

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
I am surprised that some of their items were missing. That also doesnโ€™t sound like a typical offroad area.

Read again, towards the end of the first part. The missing items had been recovered by a local towing company and they were returned to the owners.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It doesnโ€™t seem like the OP was one of the people who wrecked.

I read some of the comments on the web page. The people who wrecked seem to think they werenโ€™t over their skill/vehicle capabilities even though one of the commenters suggested they were in a nice way. I donโ€™t know who is right. If the commenter is right, it seems like they are destined for another accident. Hopefully, theyโ€™ll survive the next one.

I am surprised that some of their items were missing. That also doesnโ€™t sound like a typical offroad area.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
ajriding wrote:
In California Nancy says, "people are gonna do what people are gonna do". She was referring to ignoring the crime in her town and ignoring the rioting, looting and killing, but I guess applies to dumb drivers too?

Why the hate?
These people made a mistake and paid a price for it. They are obviously experienced boondockers and something went wrong. Period.

They were humble enough to post their experience for all of us. There are many 4x4 communities across the country that respond to "mistakes" like this on a routine basis. It is wonderful that they were able to facilitate the recovery.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
In California Nancy says, "people are gonna do what people are gonna do". She was referring to ignoring the crime in her town and ignoring the rioting, looting and killing, but I guess applies to dumb drivers too?

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Truly a harrowing experience that turned out for the good. It shows that there are some wonderful people in the world that are there for us everyday.

What a thrill to see them turn over the rig and actually drive it away. Very happy to see they survived and walked away in good shape.

Thanks for posting this.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Slight mistake in the links from the OP. The links are identical. Here's the correct link for the recovery.
Link to the recovery
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Second vote for the In Reach Explorer, in either flavor. We used them at work. Also the same sat system for remote oil and gas well data. You might have to wait, but at least once a day you will get a direct overhead pass and your message will get out. Deep,steep hollers, trees, whatever. Walk or crawl 100 yards to an open area, and she will probably latch up in less than 10 minutes. Not perfect, but the best. There is also the Spot, EPRIB (PLB), Sat phones, and other stuff I don't know about. Think of these gadgets as your ace in the hole, boot knife or that .32 down in your shorts.

Still the In Reach is my favorite, because of the 2 way texting, at a cheap price, in a small easy to carry package.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to drive a truck and camper on a trail at least learn if the trail is suitable for you rig. This was obviously a trail meant for a RZR type vehicle.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Great story, thanks for sharing. Glad everything turned out okay.

I just retired and have medical issues so my daughters wanted a way that we could communicate when outside cell service. After much research, I choose the Garmin Explorer+ as it uses satellite communication. On my retirement celebration retirement, we used it every day so they could track us. At night, I would let them know we had stopped for the night at camp. They loved it. No matter where we were, they were always able to get in touch with us and us with them which took a load off their worries. I have the medium subscription which is $28/month but figure the money is well spend and less than a tank of fuel so affordable. Here are most of the tracks from the device and the waypoints of all my camps. It never once missed a beat and always was able to send the nightly waypoint except one night in a very wooded campsite in a valley. Had to do a little data manipulation to get it into Google, but while traveling it was easy to see at my garmin map share that my friends had a link to. Garmin Trip Record
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)