Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 72 ounce steak and potato and salad
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 72 ounce steak and potato and salad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
momentum rv

Central Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many years ago I worked with a guy that was a Hells Angel (super nice guy-not typical stereotype) anyway... they only had a real meal once a week at a Sunday buffet. The rest of the week they just drank lots of water to keep stomach stretched out. My guess is they got their monies worth at the buffet in a big way.

2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

Ursicide

Charlotte, North Carolina, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is an unhealthy diet and it is counterproductive. You will be having a hard time or have an uncomfortable sleep then or worst an upset stomach. Good thing we ha a reliable Niagara Stealth Toilet, that is a water-efficient toilet that will conserve water and reduce my water bill in case I will be going there often.

* This post was edited 09/21/20 10:06pm by Ursicide *

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like Steak but would NOT put myself thru that ...... WHY punish yourself for a gimmick?

I do NOT understand the attraction. [emoticon]

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

I like Steak but would NOT put myself thru that ...... WHY punish yourself for a gimmick?

That makes two of us. I have eaten until I'm uncomfortable if the food was fantastic. But gluttony has never been an attraction for me. I don't understand the "Let's make everything into a contest" outlook. Food should be enjoyed and savored, not bolted down in a rush. Although my mother's cooking kind of made bolting it down rather than tasting pretty attractive, come to think of it.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed in Amarillo on our way to AZ and it was New Years Eve. We took the campground office lady’s offer to accept a ride to the Big Texan but we had no idea what to expect. The driver knocked on our door early. Who in the heck comes early ? Then I opened the door to a man wearing a black cowboy hat with the biggest brim I’d ever seen. I laughed all the way to the steakhouse. Good memories.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ennis Montana perhaps 1970
Far less food than the incredible amount above

The Ennis Cafe offered 1/4 of a rhubarb pie (normally a two-dollar item) a la mode if a person could finish a 32 oz steak, mash potatoes, gravy, a giant Idaho baked potato with all the trimmings. Oh yeah, and a tiny dinner salad.

The cost of the steak was $7.95 which was a lot, fifty years ago.

I had been wading the Madison river since dawn. Catch and release and I hadn't even had coffee. I was a starving 23-year-old.

So I did it. I ordered the monster.

The waitress brought two platters. The steak occupying one platter. The steak was fried not broiled but I did not care. Montanans used to demand their steaks very well done I do not know about today.

For some reason, I used to eat salad last in those days.

I clear-cut the steak then bulldozed through the mashed potatoes. I remember the gravy as being milk gravy the same as they used on their morning biscuits and gravy. It was excellent.

I polished everything off. Including the lattice top rhubarb pie which was excellent. The ice-cream which was homemade was as good as today's Costco Vanilla.

Yes, I was stuffed as I exited. And no, I didn't need anything but coffee until dinner the next night.

I returned to the cafe the night before sadly returning home. A six hundred mile trip.

I repeated the extravaganza.

A few months later my dad told me uncle Chick told him the restaurant took the special off the menu.

I couldn't even approach eating what that Texas restaurant taunts. But I do remember eating a giant southern fried chicken dinner complete with gargantuan size corn on the cob in Alice, Texas, for a dollar sixty-four cents including coffee in 1967.

Fond Memories

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those guys who enter hotdog contests; I don’t know how they do it. It can’t be good for health, and must definitely overload the digestive system. Maybe they barf after the contest?

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Bragging rights

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 72 ounce steak and potato and salad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.