Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: do you really need a battery?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> do you really need a battery?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10 states might not but DOT does
Federal traffic safety law specifies that all trailers that are required to have brakes, shall have a means of activating the trailer brakes under trailer break away conditions

The Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution establishes that state laws are subordinate to federal laws and regulations.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Rich&Mar

wa usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Just out of curiosity I tried to open my slide yesterday. My battery was disconnected, so I hooked up to power and tried the slide. Wouldn't open. Had to connect the battery just to open the slide.

In WA, Costco, Walmart, Batteries Plus. I don't think Les Schwab would be a good place to get a good price on a battery.
Boy are you right. $160. out the door at Schwab, $96. otd at costco.

rich

Rich&Mar

wa usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rich&Mar wrote:

Thermoguy wrote:

Just out of curiosity I tried to open my slide yesterday. My battery was disconnected, so I hooked up to power and tried the slide. Wouldn't open. Had to connect the battery just to open the slide.

In WA, Costco, Walmart, Batteries Plus. I don't think Les Schwab would be a good place to get a good price on a battery.
Boy are you right. $160. out the door at Schwab, $96. otd at costco.
To keep this thread going for days, I'll ask another question. In researching batteries I read you should let them discharge to 50% before charging. OK, but how do I know when it's down to 50%? What do you do regarding your battery and maintain it in good shape?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

10 states might not but DOT does
Federal traffic safety law specifies that all trailers that are required to have brakes, shall have a means of activating the trailer brakes under trailer break away conditions

The Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution establishes that state laws are subordinate to federal laws and regulations.
Please cite where that is stated that applies to vehicles other than commercial vehicles.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Common sense should dictate that you have a battery and break-away switch. Would you want your unit if it broke away head off into oncoming traffic and possibly kill someone, or to lockup the brakes and not travel far??
We just recently purchased a lower priced enclosed utility trailer to use for storage and it came with a small Dry Cell Battery to activate the brakes in the event of a disconnect.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> do you really need a battery?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.