cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I ruin my water heater, please help!

NErunner
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and RVing. I recently purchased a Prime Tracer 24DBS camper and went on my first trip with my family. All went well considering it was our first one, we loved it. Fast forwarding 2 weeks, as we prepare for our next trip, I discovered the battery is drained, not sure how it happened since it has been parked in my driveway since we came back. Then, I just realized I did not turn off the electric switch for the water heater after I left the camping 2 weeks ago. Now I wonder if the heater was working on battery without the water connection after I left the camping (hence the drained battery) and its heating element has burned (due to no water connection). Should I prepare for cold showers in my next trip next weekend or these heaters are like house heaters that don't burn if if shut the main water valve?

Thanks in advance!
49 REPLIES 49

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
NErunner wrote:
Hi all, just an update, I came back from camping last weekend and popped the "battery disconnect switch" that came standard in the RV, so far so good, 5 days later when turn the switch on the battery charge indicator shows 100% charge.

I'm sure you know this but I'll say it anyway. The indicator will show 100% if the trailer is plugged regardless of the state of battery charge. The charge indicators are only a crude indication of actual charge. Be sure to use the disconnect switch as soon as possible after parking so that the maximum charge is retained. It does sound like you are successful.

NErunner
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, just an update, I came back from camping last weekend and popped the "battery disconnect switch" that came standard in the RV, so far so good, 5 days later when turn the switch on the battery charge indicator shows 100% charge.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
badercubed wrote:
Side note...

This has been the most cordial thread from both sides I have ever seen.

Very true and quite normal on the fishing forums I visit.
Unfortunately on this site we have a few crotchety old folks looking to tee off on their prey. Lol

Funny, I have had more issues with a couple of crotchety younger folks that have actually belittled me because I am older than them.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
badercubed wrote:
Side note...

Very true and quite normal on the fishing forums I visit.
Unfortunately on this site we have a few crotchety old folks looking to tee off on their prey. Lol

NErunner
Explorer
Explorer
gmckenzie wrote:
NErunner wrote:
K_and_I wrote:
That looks like the repeater for the TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Did one of those come with your tt?

Oh, yes, the trailer indeed came with a tire pressure monitoring system, I have not installed it yet, so perhaps that's why I can't find mentioning of the light in any other manual 😮

I have to say, trailer manuals are the most generic type I've ever seen, it's not quite like your TV manual that shows function and name of each tiny component, I'm enjoying the learning curve thanks to you all 🙂

Trailers are, very much, a collection of parts put together kinda randomly. Hopefully you have all the manuals for everything that came with it, but you will never get one manual for the trailer that covers everything.

Think of it like having a manual for your house. Who knows what fridge, freezer, stove etc. would be installed.

Precisely. I have the manuals for all appliances but for the trailer itself is available just online, but it's too broad because it applies to a whole category with different configurations and there's so much "if equipped" language in there. I'm really, really glad I found this forum, it would have taken me forever to figure things out on my own. Can't thank you all enough.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
NErunner wrote:
K_and_I wrote:
That looks like the repeater for the TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Did one of those come with your tt?

Oh, yes, the trailer indeed came with a tire pressure monitoring system, I have not installed it yet, so perhaps that's why I can't find mentioning of the light in any other manual 😮

I have to say, trailer manuals are the most generic type I've ever seen, it's not quite like your TV manual that shows function and name of each tiny component, I'm enjoying the learning curve thanks to you all 🙂

Trailers are, very much, a collection of parts put together kinda randomly. Hopefully you have all the manuals for everything that came with it, but you will never get one manual for the trailer that covers everything.

Think of it like having a manual for your house. Who knows what fridge, freezer, stove etc. would be installed.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
Side note...

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

NErunner
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I wrote:

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
It's a repeater for a TPMS. Link

NErunner
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
That looks like an antenna on the side opposite the wire. Did the previous owner install something? Wireless backup camera? Remote leveler with receiver in tow vehicle?

Yes, it does have a small antenna on the side, the camper is brand new, I'm the first owner, the light was already there when I bought it. No remote leveler, I installed a backup camera (Furrion) but its antenna is on the camera itself in the back.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
That looks like an antenna on the side opposite the wire. Did the previous owner install something? Wireless backup camera? Remote leveler with receiver in tow vehicle? Have you traced its wire to see where it goes?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

NErunner
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Take a look at this link for a simple and easy way to post pictures on the forums.:)
Barney

Thanks for the instructions how to post pictures, nice and easy!

Below are pictures of the red light at the front of my camper. It's always lit when I'm connected to electricity as far as I have noticed. I checked the manual and can't find any mentioning of it anywhere, so not sure what it indicates. Thoughts anybody?

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take a look at this link for a simple and easy way to post pictures on the forums.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine