Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Did I ruin my water heater, please help!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Did I ruin my water heater, please help!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only way to kill an water heater element is to drain the water heater so you should be fine.
But if water heater was drained and switch left on it only takes a second to fry it via AC source.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NErunner wrote:

K Charles wrote:

There is a lot of stuff running your battery down even when everything is off. Rather plug in the camper to keep the battery charged or disconnect it to keep it from going dead.

Thanks, learned something else today, it does have a battery disconnect plug, I'll just do that between trips.

The battery disconnect switch disconnects most everything from the battery, but not everything. If you will not be plugged in more than a few days then remove the battery ground cable to cut off everything. Or add a new disconnect at the battery itself to make full disconnect easier. Else the battery will discharge.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

NErunner wrote:

K Charles wrote:

There is a lot of stuff running your battery down even when everything is off. Rather plug in the camper to keep the battery charged or disconnect it to keep it from going dead.

Thanks, learned something else today, it does have a battery disconnect plug, I'll just do that between trips.

The battery disconnect switch disconnects most everything from the battery, but not everything. If you will not be plugged in more than a few days then remove the battery ground cable to cut off everything. Or add a new disconnect at the battery itself to make full disconnect easier. Else the battery will discharge.

I would not suggest doing either of those unless you have a guaranteed way to remember it's disconnected. If you take off down the road with the battery cable disconnected or a switch there you will not have a battery in the system which is required for emergency breakaway. The factory disconnect should leave the brakes intact.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 12:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only heat water when I need it. Turn off the switch to the water heater when done with it. Plug your trailer back in to your house and let the converter charge the battery and I think you will be fine.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

NErunner

Arlington

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Only way to kill an water heater element is to drain the water heater so you should be fine.
But if water heater was drained and switch left on it only takes a second to fry it via AC source.

Yeah, thanks, I have no idea how to drain the water heater, so I should be OK, I will find out next weekend.

NErunner

Arlington

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

BB_TX wrote:

NErunner wrote:

K Charles wrote:

I would not suggest doing either of those unless you have a guaranteed way to remember it's disconnected. If you take off down the road with the battery cable disconnected or a switch there you will not have a battery in the system which is required for emergency breakaway. The factory disconnect should leave the brakes intact.

During orientation when I got the camper, the guy recommended using the battery disconnect before the off season only (winter). He said the battery should keep charged during the camping season as long as I make sure the 2 fridges (indoor and outdoor) and lights are turned off, which they were, so I'm not sure what is draining my battery.

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NErunner wrote:

wnjj wrote:

BB_TX wrote:

NErunner wrote:

K Charles wrote:

During orientation when I got the camper, the guy recommended using the battery disconnect before the off season only (winter). He said the battery should keep charged during the camping season as long as I make sure the 2 fridges (indoor and outdoor) and lights are turned off, which they were, so I'm not sure what is draining my battery.

Carbon monoxide detector are good at running batteries down.

Ridgeway, SC

NErunner

Arlington

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pbeverly wrote:

NErunner wrote:

wnjj wrote:

BB_TX wrote:

NErunner wrote:

K Charles wrote:

Carbon monoxide detector are good at running batteries down.

OK, it does have one, maybe that's it or I wonder, any chance the dealer gave me a new camper with an old used battery?

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There a couple things that will drain the battery even with everything turned off. As mentioned, the carbon monoxide detector, as well as the radio. Using the battery disconnect switch would completely cut power to those things.

It is possible you got an old battery from the dealer, but most likely no way to tell that.

If you store the trailer at the house, just keep it plugged in or put a trickle charger on the battery to keep it charged.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Airstream had 2 phantom drains when the battery was turned off, the propane detector (not the CO detector) and the inverter. I ran a hot wire from an empty place on the fuse board to the propane detector so it would turn off with the factory installed disconnect. I installed a separate disconnect switch on the inverter.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Did I ruin my water heater, please help!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.