cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advantages of diesel pushers

daugen
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering going larger than my current Dynamax Isata 3 built on MB chassis in order to get a larger bathroom/shower and a built in washer dryer. I want to do some snowbirding during winter and have realized that as wonderfully nimble as my current 25 footer is, the compromises aren't worth it. I have had a Class A gasser before, small 27 footer with Ford V10 and also a TT, and both had lots more room inside.

Have been looking at Super C's (Renegade, Newmar, Dynamax) and wonder what you all think of relative comfort of those rv's vs diesel pushers. At issue is noise, safety, space utilization, ride, handling and overall comfort. Seems the go to for the most of everything was a diesel pusher in past, but maybe not any more, and wonder if I intend to stay on East Coast and out of mountains, would a gasser with new Ford V8 be a reasonable option?
I can't afford a new diesel pusher, would be looking at something 5-10 years old to keep price down below 150k.

I sold my farm a few months back and simply have no use for a truck any more. So a big fifth wheel and diesel F250 variant means owning a large truck I would rarely use otherwise.

I am a senior, single and no pets. I have pulled a car on a dolly and with my arthritis that was very hard on me to hook it up and unhook, so know I need a better solution for toad. Seems the ideal would be a 400hp+ diesel pusher. Newmar would be my first choice particularly since I'm focusing on used rigs. For those of you who have owned big Class A's and gone to a Super C, could you describe your experience? Or known someone who has? Thanks very much. Drew
26 REPLIES 26

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Super C for 3 years loved it. Power and ride were awesome
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
We looked at a Super C set up for a while. I liked that of all the drive-able motorhomes a Super C seemed the safest from a front impact perspective. Many of the ones we looked at had front seats that could rotate to serve as usable space when not travelling. Getting in and out for fueling etc was also much easier as well as 2 more exits in case of an emergency. Many have airbags just like DP's. I found the tow ratings and CCC was as good if not better than many DP's, but this is really dependent on the model. We ended up with a Truck and FW mainly because I needed a new truck and wasn't going to buy a MH and a truck. Had that not been the case I would have opted for a Super C.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

glamisorbust
Explorer
Explorer
I would stick to Newmar, Holiday Rambler or Tiffin. Also, stick to Freightliner or Spartan Chassis. They are two of the biggest chassis manufacturer and you will find parts and service easily.

The engine being out back makes it quiet up front. Mine has a rear radiator, and like others have mentioned, that makes engine access limited. Try and find one with Cummins ISL 400HP engine and side radiator.

Mine has a 275 HP 5.9 ISB Cummins and it runs great. A little underpowered in the big hills, but I have been coast to coast pulling a crew cab 2500 diesel Chevy truck and it will go up anything.

These are comfortable to drive, especially if you find one with independent front suspension. Hope this helps.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP said: "Seems the go to for the most of everything was a diesel pusher in past, but maybe not any more, and wonder if I intend to stay on East Coast and out of mountains, would a gasser with new Ford V8 be a reasonable option? I am a senior, single and no pets. I have pulled a car on a dolly and with my arthritis that was very hard on me to hook it up and unhook, so know I need a better solution for toad. Seems the ideal would be a 400hp+ diesel pusher. Newmar would be my first choice particularly since I'm focusing on used rigs. The DP turned me off because it was not in good shape and was a real slug, I think a 300-330hp model and had very poor acceleration."
In reading your posts I think most DP's compared to your 27 ft A would be real slugs. Remember your A was 1/2 the weight and more HP than the DP's you tested. If you plan to stay on the east coast you don't need a 400 hp Super C or DP. With arthritis towing flat is a lot easier than a dolly on you hands and knees. I would defiantly look at the newer 7.3 V8 engines in a 32-35 ft Newmar if that is your first choice, there are suppose to be a lot of chassis improvements in the new 7.3 eng chassis combo also for a better ride. Look for a better WB/l ratio over your 27 ft A. You can add always extra insulation to the dog house if needed. There is no perfect MH everything is a compromise based on your particular situation. Hope this helps with your decision.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
If you're into driving long distances, nothing beats a pusher for comfort. The best part for me is that the cab area is part of the house when we are set up. While it may be great to raise the hood to access a fuel filter, you still need to get under to do an oil change. Every coach has some trade-offs in certain things.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

kilanse3a
Explorer
Explorer
I even have by no means owned a MH. But in case you need repairs within the engine compartment of a pusher and other ***Link Removed***tent reviews, the tech ought to get to it from in the back of, underneath, or walk via your private home.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned three class a Foretravels and two other class c and my current class c on the F550is great. If I was going bigger I would get a super c. Much easier to find service and it is cheaper as well. I have 400k miles in DP and only 50 in my F550. I would get a super c big enough to meet your needs.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Side radiator set up makes the engine compartment entry from the rear easy. Reducing maintenance time frame compared to under the bed engine access.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

js218
Explorer
Explorer
If I still had mine would have offered to let you drive it
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
The advantages of a DP are many..
The engine being "Way back there" it's a much quieter ride (For you at least)

More towing capacity (Typically 10,000 pound hitch may be able to pull it

More cargo carrying capacity

More power at low RPM

Diesel engines tend to be very long life

BUT expensive to service. And COST is the major negative. .

Not true there are FRED's diesel fronts chassis's

A FRED is not a DP. Remember, the "P" in DP is for pusher.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

daugen
Explorer
Explorer
DP's seem to be built on three or four different custom chassis that have been tweaked for many years to give not only what is likely the best ride but also the most storage. Dynamax makes a model using a Ram 5500 with the Cummins diesel with 800# of torque, a nice setup. But no washer/dryer option that I could see for Isata 5. Renegade, Dynamax and Newmar make high end Super C's that give up little in amenities but are built on medium duty truck chassis. Even with air bags added and an air ride seat, am wondering how a higher end Super C rides and handles compared to a DP.

one of my challenges in this time of very low used inventory is that there are almost no used diesel Super C's out there, they haven't built this kind long enough apparently. But plenty of 40 foot DP's. So my 150k budget may restrict me to a ten year old DP anyway.

I'm not sure a 36-40 foot gas Class A will have enough power for me.

I am not going to do the maintenance on anything I own, other than carrying a good set of tools when things break, which they sure will.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
The advantages of a DP are many..
The engine being "Way back there" it's a much quieter ride (For you at least)

More towing capacity (Typically 10,000 pound hitch may be able to pull it

More cargo carrying capacity

More power at low RPM

Diesel engines tend to be very long life

BUT expensive to service. And COST is the major negative. .

Not true there are FRED's diesel fronts chassis's
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Few years back I friend asked make a week long trip in his Volvo, pulling a 53ft reefer. Air bags on all 5 axles. There was a lot of things I did not like about that rig, compared to my Pete. Ride did not make the list.
I did not keep a lid on my coffee cup in the Pete, with air on the rear, and air ride cab. The all air suspended Volvo was smother

Mommalu
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on your willingness to accept the challenges each unit presents.
A gas unit gets it done, but it's a rougher, noisier ride, wind does push it around. I managed 4 hours of driving comfortably, but it was work.
A diesel C is much like my school bus, holds the road in all conditions. It's not as noisy as a V10 thats down shifting for every hill with the rpms screaming. But it will produce front engine noise and heat, depending on how it's built it may have heat from the engine through the drive shaft to the rear wheels like most gas A's. Most have rear air ride so it's easier to drive 6 to 10 hrs comfortably.

A diesel pusher, our latest MH is quiet to drive, and has air ride all around. Ours is older an 07, No DEF, reasonably priced and reliable, unlike the newer diesels I drive for work. This golden oldie doesn't have the common dash lights on I deal with in the newer diesels. The Re gen, exhaust plugged, DEF issues, water in fuel, etc, dash lights and the nasty "you go nowhere while I regen" Had that happen at a red light, with a 40' school bus on a hwy with 45 kids and a 12' trailer. It's designed to go into regen mode when the particle filter is clogged and to over ride it you put it in Nuetral and press the brake, but it doesn't always clear it. I despise the newer diesels!!! Yet I "get to" drive them for work.

When we replaced the exhaust manifold on the 07 the mechanics said they loved this motorhome because ALL work was done from the outside while it was on the lift.
Yes a diesel is more expensive to maintain, but again its all about your comfort zone. We are comfortable with this old girl and it meets all our needs/wants and the price was right.
Good luck with the adventure of finding what will work for you. It's out there, just be patient.