Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Advantages of diesel pushers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Advantages of diesel pushers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
daugen

Bucks County PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 03:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm considering going larger than my current Dynamax Isata 3 built on MB chassis in order to get a larger bathroom/shower and a built in washer dryer. I want to do some snowbirding during winter and have realized that as wonderfully nimble as my current 25 footer is, the compromises aren't worth it. I have had a Class A gasser before, small 27 footer with Ford V10 and also a TT, and both had lots more room inside.

Have been looking at Super C's (Renegade, Newmar, Dynamax) and wonder what you all think of relative comfort of those rv's vs diesel pushers. At issue is noise, safety, space utilization, ride, handling and overall comfort. Seems the go to for the most of everything was a diesel pusher in past, but maybe not any more, and wonder if I intend to stay on East Coast and out of mountains, would a gasser with new Ford V8 be a reasonable option?
I can't afford a new diesel pusher, would be looking at something 5-10 years old to keep price down below 150k.

I sold my farm a few months back and simply have no use for a truck any more. So a big fifth wheel and diesel F250 variant means owning a large truck I would rarely use otherwise.

I am a senior, single and no pets. I have pulled a car on a dolly and with my arthritis that was very hard on me to hook it up and unhook, so know I need a better solution for toad. Seems the ideal would be a 400hp+ diesel pusher. Newmar would be my first choice particularly since I'm focusing on used rigs. For those of you who have owned big Class A's and gone to a Super C, could you describe your experience? Or known someone who has? Thanks very much. Drew

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The advantages of a DP are many..
The engine being "Way back there" it's a much quieter ride (For you at least)

More towing capacity (Typically 10,000 pound hitch may be able to pull it

More cargo carrying capacity

More power at low RPM

Diesel engines tend to be very long life

BUT expensive to service. And COST is the major negative. .

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never owned a MH. But if you need repairs in the engine compartment of a pusher, the tech must get to it from behind, below, or walk thru your house.
OTOH, a Super C, all the vehicle parts are outside the living area, and just like thousands of trucks on the road.
Might mean house spends less time in shop.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No pesky hip problems from sitting on a fat wallet. [emoticon]

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone building a gas pusher using a Ford 7.3 V8 flex fuel engine yet?

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a 45' Hallmark put 167,000 miles on it trouble free and drove like a dream. Could drive for 10 hours without any stress.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easy to have engine maintenance performed on it, just flip the hood and total engine access.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

js218 wrote:

Easy to have engine maintenance performed on it, just flip the hood and total engine access.

I assume you're referring to a "Super C" as they like to call them.

The same time we had our Winnebago Journey DP we had a friend with a Super C.

Yes, the Super C engine access was great -- but how often do you have to access it? Once a year for an oil change?

The drawbacks, as we observed, were that his cockpit was just that - a cockpit - and didn't become a very usable living area, nor did it have the panoramic windshield of the DP.

The noise of the diesel engine was in front of you, and not behind you (so was a certain degree of heat from it, but not unbearable).

It really and truly rode much more like a truck than our DP. I guess because it was, for all practical purposes, a medium-duty truck.

And (this is just me) I used to tease him that his motorhome looked like a U-Haul truck with full body paint. I know, not very nice of me, but it was true . . . and believe it or not, we're still best of friends.

Conclusion: you make the choice that's best for YOU. Happy travels.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep super c maintenance twice a year or more put 167,000 miles on it in three and half years purchased it to travel been to the southern tip of Baja Mexico all 49 states an the Artic circle. Different strokes for different folks. Purchase what fits your needs.

daugen

Bucks County PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate the feedback.
"It really and truly rode much more like a truck than our DP."
that's what worries me...I want the smooth airbag ride.
My 27' Itasca Sunstar was basically a UPS truck with a nice paint job too...and boy did wind throw it around.
I test drove a used DP before I bought my current rig and found the driving position a bit challenging. Sure you can see well but have to make very wide turns. I'm wondering if Super C is more maneuverable.
The DP turned me off because it was not in good shape and was a real slug, I think a 300-330hp model and had very poor acceleration. Probably should have driven others but then decided to get an rv I didn't always have to pull a toad with.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Advantages of diesel pushers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.