Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Advantages of diesel pushers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Advantages of diesel pushers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
John S.

Valley of Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned three class a Foretravels and two other class c and my current class c on the F550is great. If I was going bigger I would get a super c. Much easier to find service and it is cheaper as well. I have 400k miles in DP and only 50 in my F550. I would get a super c big enough to meet your needs.

John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

kilanse3a

New York

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I even have by no means owned a MH. But in case you need repairs within the engine compartment of a pusher and other ***Link Removed***tent reviews, the tech ought to get to it from in the back of, underneath, or walk via your private home.

* This post was edited 12/13/20 04:13pm by kilanse3a *

chuckftboy

Fleming Island, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're into driving long distances, nothing beats a pusher for comfort. The best part for me is that the cab area is part of the house when we are set up. While it may be great to raise the hood to access a fuel filter, you still need to get under to do an oil change. Every coach has some trade-offs in certain things.

2019 Horizon 42Q Maxim Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP said: "Seems the go to for the most of everything was a diesel pusher in past, but maybe not any more, and wonder if I intend to stay on East Coast and out of mountains, would a gasser with new Ford V8 be a reasonable option? I am a senior, single and no pets. I have pulled a car on a dolly and with my arthritis that was very hard on me to hook it up and unhook, so know I need a better solution for toad. Seems the ideal would be a 400hp+ diesel pusher. Newmar would be my first choice particularly since I'm focusing on used rigs. The DP turned me off because it was not in good shape and was a real slug, I think a 300-330hp model and had very poor acceleration."
In reading your posts I think most DP's compared to your 27 ft A would be real slugs. Remember your A was 1/2 the weight and more HP than the DP's you tested. If you plan to stay on the east coast you don't need a 400 hp Super C or DP. With arthritis towing flat is a lot easier than a dolly on you hands and knees. I would defiantly look at the newer 7.3 V8 engines in a 32-35 ft Newmar if that is your first choice, there are suppose to be a lot of chassis improvements in the new 7.3 eng chassis combo also for a better ride. Look for a better WB/l ratio over your 27 ft A. You can add always extra insulation to the dog house if needed. There is no perfect MH everything is a compromise based on your particular situation. Hope this helps with your decision.

glamisorbust

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would stick to Newmar, Holiday Rambler or Tiffin. Also, stick to Freightliner or Spartan Chassis. They are two of the biggest chassis manufacturer and you will find parts and service easily.

The engine being out back makes it quiet up front. Mine has a rear radiator, and like others have mentioned, that makes engine access limited. Try and find one with Cummins ISL 400HP engine and side radiator.

Mine has a 275 HP 5.9 ISB Cummins and it runs great. A little underpowered in the big hills, but I have been coast to coast pulling a crew cab 2500 diesel Chevy truck and it will go up anything.

These are comfortable to drive, especially if you find one with independent front suspension. Hope this helps.

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We looked at a Super C set up for a while. I liked that of all the drive-able motorhomes a Super C seemed the safest from a front impact perspective. Many of the ones we looked at had front seats that could rotate to serve as usable space when not travelling. Getting in and out for fueling etc was also much easier as well as 2 more exits in case of an emergency. Many have airbags just like DP's. I found the tow ratings and CCC was as good if not better than many DP's, but this is really dependent on the model. We ended up with a Truck and FW mainly because I needed a new truck and wasn't going to buy a MH and a truck. Had that not been the case I would have opted for a Super C.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super C for 3 years loved it. Power and ride were awesome

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Advantages of diesel pushers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.