Right hand turn
Left hand turn
Back into drive way
With tow dinghy rh and lh turn - 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
15 REPLIES 15

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Practice and just do it. Trying to put markers on windshields and such is going to get you on trouble if you rely on this kind of thing. All corners are not 90 degrees, some are greater and some are less.
Ramps on and off 4 lane limited access roads are good places to practice this. Exit right, turn left and the turn left again heading the other direction.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
The pivot point is at the back wheel on the inside of the turn.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I recently taught our daughter how to drive their 42’ DP in two, 2 hour sessions. Started in a large empty parking lot next to a straight line. Put piece of black tape on bottom of the windshield for the edge of the road...helps in construction zones. Adjusted R convex mirror down so you can see the white edge strip and any cars in the blind spot. Sitting in front of the steer tires requires waiting longer to start your turns, even hanging the front out over the grass. Spent most of the first lesson maneuvering around small cones I put out duplicating various types of turns.

Final test was 10 miles on a narrow, curvy undulating road which was as bad as anything you’ll find...she did great. 4 days later we left for a month out West in 2 DPs pulling toads...did the 1500 miles to CO in 2 days. When asked why the 1500 miles in 2 days? She said she was afraid I’d go off and leave her. She did the 2200 miles home on her own. I dinged a bay door, she did not.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seat time is invaluable. That said, turning safely is paramount but knowing your air system is right up there with it. Know how to bleed the air tanks, know how your air brakes work etc. Here in America, we are lacking in teaching what we should know before getting behind the wheel....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
haste maker wrote:
I know I will be put down for saying this...but I am going to say it anyway...I feel that anyone that drives a class A should have at least a class B CDL...this would insure the driver that they know what they are doing & make them more confident about driving something new to them...OK time put me down for me thoughts.

And not just handling of the vehicle. Get the CDL study materials. Learn to do the inspection

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I will jump on this band wagon and agree with all others, practice, practice, practice. Its the best tool. I think Mommalu hit it on the head!

I find with my tow dolly ( i am sure 4 down will be the same) you need more turning room so you do not run over the curb. Its in the mirrors, they tell the story. I learned alot about turning watching how truck drivers handle the turns, bus drivers are another one to watch.

Good Luck and enjoy
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Mommalu
Explorer
Explorer
As I instructed all the new school bus drivers I trained. Take all the real estate you are allowed by law.
Biggest thing is to square your turns, drive as far forward as you can before you turn giving as much room for the duallies to clear the curb or obstacle. ALWAYS watch your mirrors to ensure all is well.
Mirrors are critical, they tell the story.

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know I will be put down for saying this...but I am going to say it anyway...I feel that anyone that drives a class A should have at least a class B CDL...this would insure the driver that they know what they are doing & make them more confident about driving something new to them...OK time put me down for my thoughts.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Or even empty cardboard boxes!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
experience is the best teacher. get some orange cones at your home supply store, set them up in an empty parking and practice your turns.

I can't disagree with this idea. If you already have the cones, great. But if you need to buy, buckets are much more useful after you get the maneuvering figured out.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
With any vehicle, the center point of a turn will be in line with the back axle. If you have a tag axle, that's a little bit ill-defined, granted, but it'll probably end up being close to the main rear axle since it carries more of the weight.

A little thought will show you why this is the case. Each wheel, at any given moment in time, must be traveling in a direction perpendicular to its axle or else it's skidding to the side. When turning, assuming a constant turn (driving in a circular arc), all the wheels must be traveling tangentally to a circle centered at the center point of the circle you're traveling in--albeit at a somewhat different radius for each one--with the axis of each one perpendicular to that and so aligned with a radius of the circle. The front steer wheels of course don't each have their respective axis aligned with the front axle, but rather swiveled so that each one will intersect with a line extended from the rear axle at a single common point, the center point of the turn.

As others have said, how this works out in practical terms and how to judge things from the driver's seat is best worked out by practice and experience. There's no shame in getting out and looking, and doing so repeatedly if needed; it certainly beats failing to do so when you needed to.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
experience is the best teacher. get some orange cones at your home supply store, set them up in an empty parking and practice your turns.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check Youtube, there are videos that show how to determine your pivot point.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Best to just start driving, and make turns much wider than you think in the beginning. If you can get to a big parking lot, you can practice there. Nothing beats time behind the wheel.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E