cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide topper recommendations

JHinman
Explorer
Explorer
I am giving some consideration to adding a topper over the slide of the Outdoors RV trailer I hope to get later this month. This is even though I have never had an issue with a slide before.

Are there brands that are better than others, or perhaps brands or types to stay away from?
5 REPLIES 5

JHinman
Explorer
Explorer
I will probably hold off for a while. I have never had an issue with two previous trailers, and actually (after reading this forum I am almost embarrassed to admit this) never cleaned the top of either slide.

Thanks for the comments!

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
First 2 trailers, we had Colorado slides installed and never had a mechanical issue.

Latest trailer has 2 slides without the toppers and can't say I miss them.

I'm liking the ease of access to the tops for cleaning and treating the seals with conditioner.

That said, we've never experienced sagging or flapping with slide toppers but did experience quite the dirt buildup on the underside of awning material which was quite difficult to keep clean.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I installed Dometic on out 5er before we went full time, would not be without them. If it is windy just toss a tow strap over the larger ones. They greatly reduce heat transfer in sunny locations thru the slide ceilings.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Can't the manufacturer install the cover before you take possession? You could search this Forum for `slide topper' and read all the reasons for and against one.
IMHO if one has to get up on a ladder or the roof in order to clean off the slide before retracting that's reason enough to get a cover.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
ive had both. In my experience, theres little reason for a slide awning unless the slide has a raised outboard lip that would make you sweep out leaves or snow to close it. Even then, debris will find a way to get under causing you cleaning issues and water infiltration concerns.
No reason if your slide does not have a raised lip as closing it will sweep off all the debris and snow.
Theres some $ pennies advantage for shade during cooling season, then theres the noise of it flapping on windy days or nights. Money poorly spent.
Its a looks great salesmans pitch. use your money better.
max. 42 years no longer a camp owner