cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Host Mammoth

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
Well we did it, sold Lance camper and our toy hauler. Bought a 2013 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 and 2021 Host Mammoth. We pick up the camper next weekend at Toms Camperland in AZ. Hopefully the truck is up to par. Adding Timberins, upper and lower stabiloads. Cant wait.
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)
21 REPLIES 21

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Drilled and slotted help a lot on hard braking from 130 to 80 mph.
Below those speeds they are just waste of materials.

Just wondering why those speeds matter, and have you considered that the braking force and heat generated to stop 14k is a lot more than a sports car?

The energy goes with square of speed, so to slow down vehicle from 120 mph take 4 times the energy that it would take at 60 mph.
Or from other angle - slowing down from 120 to 60 takes 3 times more energy than from 60 to 0.
That is very significant difference in generated heat and when not everything can be explained by theory, the experiments proved what it really is.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mellow wrote:
If the OP had gotten a 450 I wouldn't mention that. The 350 brakes are one of the weak points if you ask me. I just redid the rears and front on mine, new calipers/rotors/pads/flex line. At a minimum I would suggest upgrading the front brakes to a bigger caliper with that much weight.

Hmmm, not a "ford guy", but I've had a couple F250s of that era that I used for construction work. Don't recall the brakes being a weak point. And likely the vast majority of the millions of other owners don't either.
And how, on a 2013 model (think that's what the OP said) would calipers/rotors/pads and flex lines all need replaced, unless the truck was super high miles, abused or rusting out? Sounds like you went to Les Schwab. That's their schtick. They won't do just brake pads, regardless of the vehicle. I needed pads only and was told, over the phone, pads, rotors and calipers must all be replaced....on a 3 year old truck with about 60k miles, that only needed brake pads.
Heck, my personal truck is approaching 180k on original everything except brake pads.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
If the OP had gotten a 450 I wouldn't mention that. The 350 brakes are one of the weak points if you ask me. I just redid the rears and front on mine, new calipers/rotors/pads/flex line. At a minimum I would suggest upgrading the front brakes to a bigger caliper with that much weight.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:

Just wondering why those speeds matter, and have you considered that the braking force and heat generated to stop 14k is a lot more than a sports car?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
Upgrade your brakes since your going with an F350, both caliper and rotor's. I would go with drilled and slotted with ebc yellow's.

That is a lot of weight to try and stop.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Man that's a NICE camper! Good luck and enjoy!

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Whats the mileage on the F350... I have a 2011 same engine.. Two of my friends with similar year models had the Bosh CP4 fuel pump grenade and take out the engine. $16,000 repair to the motors. I was at 120,000 they were close to 130K miles. So I spent $2700 to replace the fuel pump before failure. Do a search on Bosch CP4 fuel pump failure. Other than that one issue the truck is awesome and I would not trade it for another truck. The issue with the pump is that it was designed for European Diesel which has a higher concentration of lubricity agent than US ULSD Diesel contains. The pump uses the fuel to lube and cool itself. US Diesel causes premature wear and when the pump goes it trhows metal shards into the injectors killing the engine. I now add a lubricating additive with each fill up to prevent the new pum from failing.

https://ssdiesel.com/shop/powerstroke/kits-ford/ford-6-7-cp4-2-bypass-kit-2011/

This will fix you up before the train wreck

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Upgrade your brakes since your going with an F350, both caliper and rotor's. I would go with drilled and slotted with ebc yellow's.

That is a lot of weight to try and stop.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Congrats triple8!

AND, on P.2 and noone has told you that you'll be over your gvwr yet! Amazing!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations, have fun with your new toys.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a pretty sweet setup. Can't wait for pictures and your review of the truck and camper setup.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats, we need pics........
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Whats the mileage on the F350... I have a 2011 same engine.. Two of my friends with similar year models had the Bosh CP4 fuel pump grenade and take out the engine. $16,000 repair to the motors. I was at 120,000 they were close to 130K miles. So I spent $2700 to replace the fuel pump before failure. Do a search on Bosch CP4 fuel pump failure. Other than that one issue the truck is awesome and I would not trade it for another truck. The issue with the pump is that it was designed for European Diesel which has a higher concentration of lubricity agent than US ULSD Diesel contains. The pump uses the fuel to lube and cool itself. US Diesel causes premature wear and when the pump goes it trhows metal shards into the injectors killing the engine. I now add a lubricating additive with each fill up to prevent the new pum from failing.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, can't wait for the weekend.
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)