Does good!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
30 REPLIES 30

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Grit....not towards you...just the topic of ratings and those who recommend that they are not meaningful

Go back to the ICE RPM red line. That is a rating. Before computers controlled the throttle, a person could exceed that red line...I have both by accident and on purpose while out on the track (taking a calculated risk)

To me, an oxymoron when the same person says okay to ignore specifications, but will not go over the red lined RPM...

Just my opinion...having first two careers either writing specifications and/or designing to a specification(s)

Grit dog wrote:
BenK wrote:
Am curious and ask you all who think warranty ratings do much...

Or Coast Gaurd max occupancy for all certified boats ?

They *All* can hold, carry, spin, etc more than their ratings...

Oopsie, I may have the water cops on me too....
That surf pic didnโ€™t come without a little exter ballusting.
CG plate says 1440lbs max.
I โ€œmightโ€ have had 2000lbs of ballast and 7 people in the boat (and one surfing)....
Bout 3000lbs on top of dual batteries, 3 amps, 8 component speakers, 2 subs and 2 coolers with beer!
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
I prefer a Malibu for surfing.

Awesome!

Nice wave from the goofy side of a โ€˜Bu! And the scenery....Powell?
Btw, I canโ€™t surf RF fwd, yet.
Did manage to surf heel side on the starboard side though. Want to feel like youโ€™re learning all over again and drunk? try heel side!
Do you get good push on the starboard side?
Friends are looking at a Nautique but all are L foot forward riders. Told him better check it out. Nautis are rh rotation.

Here is regular side. I'd buy a Bu again. Great boat. Rider is about 6'4" for comparison.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
deltabravo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
WA doesnโ€™t have a right and left side of the Cascades, it has a right and wrong side! Lol

This is so true! I moved from the wrong side to the right side in 2013.

And no disrespect to the wet siders. It's a beautiful area with sooo much to do and a totally different climate than most other parts of the country.
I actually love the wet side scenery and somewhat, ahem, a little, for a while, the rainy season. Glad we've experienced it and would be content living here.
I'll keep the politics out of it as mot of us here are in agreement on that.
(Hard to believe, but agree more than on trucks and stuff, lol)
But, we knew we wanted to move at some point to N Idaho/Eastern WA/MT for a long time, before even visiting it.
And frankly as endearing as the peaceful rain and greenery is, it is not a substitute for 300 days of sun and dry snow in the winter!

God willing, I'll be managing our operations out of the Spokane area within the next year or so and we get to move over there!!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
WA doesnโ€™t have a right and left side of the Cascades, it has a right and wrong side! Lol

This is so true! I moved from the wrong side to the right side in 2013.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
blt2ski wrote:
BenK wrote:
Am curious and ask you all who think warranty ratings do not mean much...do you all follow the ICE's RPM rating ?

AKA....tach red line for your ICE

Ditto elevators, airplanes, etc

Ben, having had vehicles that have not performed at warranty ratings, ie stalled out, as those warranty ratings and how they get them, need to be IMHO taken with a grain of salt at times. I've had vehicles with half the eating of another, the lower one actually did better in Some instances va others.
Ancjora for boats, is another one of those don't get in a argument with someone. What works for them, may not work for you due to different so conditions.
In general, I keep them in mind from an axle standpoint. From a gvwr standpoint, keep it in mind, but if over, yet under axle ratings, I don't worry! Gcwr, that's a crdp shoot if you think you are safe etc under it. The new rules give the performance ratings to follow. BUT, if you want more sdpeed than soeced, steeper minimum grade to go up. Increased frontal area than speced, the manufactured don't tell you reduction or increase you need to do so effectively. So you get and see questions like the post on the F450 slowing down. Person probably thought rating allowed him to go speed limit, when in reality, his speed would or will be 45-50 per how specs manufacture must certify at.

Marty

When I started on this forum, just about 8 yrs ago, it was a forum of sticker readers. Only a few understood where the GVWR of a 3/4, or 1 ton truck came from. I remember reading a thread of the poor fellow that bought a late model used F350, with a GVWR of 10,000. Due to this, the sticker crowd told him he needed to trade it for one with a 11,500 GVWR sticker. While Ford would issue the sticker you wanted for registration, most looked at the sticker, not the truck! GCVWR is another example of a manufacturer trying to protect their warranty. Yes, this rating matters, as going grossly over this rating, long term, is going to strain the drive line components. Axle ratings matter, but in many cases it is not the axle itself, but springs, tires/wheels, and brakes the concern. In some cases these items can be easily improved on. Lots of folks don't understand the payload sticker, the yellow one should not exceed xxxx .

Recently a thread in towing forum, about tire inflation, a member suggested to another, that he needed to follow the tire inflation sticker of his 1/2 ton truck 30 front 33 rear, when towing a TT weighing over 7K. The one giving this recommendation had NO EXPERIENCE towing a heavy trailer, but only knew how to read tire stickers/tire markings. He had no idea how unsafe it would be to tow with soft tires, that could safely be aired to 51 lbs if needed.

Fortunately, the number of sticker readers has become the minority, and common sense, experience has helped many. So many more members have a better understanding of ratings, and know which are important, and others not so much. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

blt2ski
Ben, as far as USCG regs and recommendations, regs I follow, remondations, throw them POS away! On my sailboat, the race reg requirements sink USCG regs! Look at off shore race rules requirements! Most boaters get scared when they read the stuff you need!
Like a lot of things, manufacture warranty ratings, government ratings, are bare bare bare bone minimums one needs to function.
Owner operator needs to go by understand what will or will not work for them in application they are in. Kinds like a shot gun will work, NOT! On a charging grizzly! But it's a gun!!!
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

blt2ski
BenK wrote:
Am curious and ask you all who think warranty ratings do not mean much...do you all follow the ICE's RPM rating ?

Ben, having had vehicles that have not performed at warranty ratings, ie stalled out, as those warranty ratings and how they get them, need to be IMHO taken with a grain of salt at times. I've had vehicles with half the eating of another, the lower one actually did better in Some instances va others.
Ancjora for boats, is another one of those don't get in a argument with someone. What works for them, may not work for you due to different so conditions.
In general, I keep them in mind from an axle standpoint. From a gvwr standpoint, keep it in mind, but if over, yet under axle ratings, I don't worry! Gcwr, that's a crdp shoot if you think you are safe etc under it. The new rules give the performance ratings to follow. BUT, if you want more sdpeed than soeced, steeper minimum grade to go up. Increased frontal area than speced, the manufactured don't tell you reduction or increase you need to do so effectively. So you get and see questions like the post on the F450 slowing down. Person probably thought rating allowed him to go speed limit, when in reality, his speed would or will be 45-50 per how specs manufacture must certify at.

Marty

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bionic Man wrote:

Awesome!

Nice wave from the goofy side of a โ€˜Bu! And the scenery....Powell?
Btw, I canโ€™t surf RF fwd, yet.
Did manage to surf heel side on the starboard side though. Want to feel like youโ€™re learning all over again and drunk? try heel side!
Do you get good push on the starboard side?
Friends are looking at a Nautique but all are L foot forward riders. Told him better check it out. Nautis are rh rotation.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BenK wrote:
Am curious and ask you all who think warranty ratings do much...

Oopsie, I may have the water cops on me too....
That surf pic didnโ€™t come without a little exter ballusting.
CG plate says 1440lbs max.
I โ€œmightโ€ have had 2000lbs of ballast and 7 people in the boat (and one surfing)....
Bout 3000lbs on top of dual batteries, 3 amps, 8 component speakers, 2 subs and 2 coolers with beer!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Surfs pretty well for a 20โ€™ boat. This is the better part of 2000lbs ballast and over 1000lbs of human ballast.

Looks better with boat riding on it's bottom vs chine.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"Am curious and ask you all who think warranty ratings do not mean much...do you all follow the ICE's RPM rating ?

Ditto elevators, airplanes, etc"

Not the target audience since I at least factor in the mfg. ratings, but: a) always watch the redline on the ICE's, more carefully on the 0-320 on the PA-12 than the engines in surface vehicles; and more carefully on the KEM on the boat than on the pickemups; b) I am aware of the CG max occupancy for my boat, but never come close since I like to run in skinny water; and c) always factor in the Gross Weight limit as well as balance calcs on the ol PA-12; and d) exceptionally claustrophobic, so avoid elevators as much as possible.

I have a 2006 Wrangler Rubicon / LJ that I use every so often to spot the boat and sno-go trailer around the property. Works OK for that, but, since it's the original gutless wonder, can't imagine towing with it.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

BenK
Explorer
Explorer

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

blt2ski
Grit,
Let them tv.net wieght police know, manufactured warranty ratings mean squat, on either side of Cascades!
Marty