Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fed up with tire blow outs!!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Fed up with tire blow outs!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the size that is on the trailer, he has very limited choices for a load range D. Goodyear Endurance and BlowMax. If he has room to move up to 215/75-15 he again has limited choices but the Goodyear Wrangler HT would be an excellent choice in a LT load range D tire.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rollindowntheroad wrote:

I purchased a 2018 Prime Time Tracer 253Air in April. For Father's day my daughter got me a Good Sam membership with roadside assistance, thank God!

I have used the TT once a month since May. Have had 3 tires blow out, 2 just this weekend, Labor Day weekend. It has been 3 different tires, different positions on the TT. The TT has double axles. Labor Day weekend had one blow out on my way to my destination, then another one on the way home on Monday. The tires on the TT when I bought it are Towmax 205/75R14's. The TT is not overloaded as I only use it for weekends so just the minimum stuff needed. The guy that came to change it on Friday said I need to get either D or E load rated tires. Currently they are C rated. He said they are just to light of a tire for a TT. Saturday I got another tire however couldn't find a D or E rated one any where. So ended up with another C rated just so I would have something for a spare. Was told by several tire places that to get the D or E rated they would have to be ordered. So before my next trip going to be ordering 5 D or E rated tires and put them on. Hopefully this will solve the issue. If not don't know what else to do.

Has anyone else had this frequent of blow outs or is it just my luck?

BTW, I can't say enough good about the roadside assistance. After you call they get ahold of someone that's closest to your location. Whoever they get ahold of then send you a text message with approximate arrival time. Friday night they said within an hour, actually got there within 45 minutes. Monday they said within 35 minutes and got there within 15 minutes. So way to go!!!

One strange thing is that all 3 blow out have happened on the same Hwy within about 10 miles of the same spot. No work is being done to the road and didn't run over anything. Guess I should go a different route next time.

Towmax tires are cheap tires which accouts for all your blow outs. I bought a new 5th wheel trailer that had new towmax tires, I told the dealer I would not buy the trailer unless he replaced all 5 tires with Good year tires. Do your own research. I suggest you also go to 15 inch rims and put at least "E" rated tires. I have 16" rims with "G" rated tires because I have a heavier 5th wheel trailer. Personally I prefer to have a heavier rated tire than I need.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I continue to find these threads hilarious.
Always the care of the tires is blamed by the "blame it on the owner crowd".
Check your tire pressure every moorning, and inspect the tires at every stop. Don't drive too fast. Don't hit anything. Watch out for potholes.
Really if we all treated our commuter vehicle tires this carefully, we would never get to work.

The answer is getting better tires.

Do what ever it takes to get LTs on your TT and never look back.

PM me if you want some advise on how to do it right.

Totally agree about LT Tires for your RV!!!!!

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, the size tires and wheels are too small for your trailer. Going to 15" wheels gives many more options, and a D-rated ST tire in that size would work, as would an LT, if you find it. You can buy the wheels, with ST tires already mounted, shipped free to your door. The wheels really are not that expensive.

Jerry

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

op wrote:

Was told by several tire places that to get the D or E rated they would have to be ordered. So before my next trip going to be ordering 5 D or E rated tires and put them on. Hopefully this will solve the issue. If not don't know what else to do.

Has anyone else had this frequent of blow outs or is it just my luck?

Its the tires.
And yes with two cargo trailers on the road 60k-80k miles a year I know first hand about the issues you had.

The internet on rv and non rv trailers is full of the same issues with certain ST brands in certain years...especially the blowmax as their called by those that were victims.

You need a better brand or type of tire. If the 205/75-14 C aren't over loaded then you sure don't need a D or E tire.

Depending on your the year your trailer wheel were mfg they may only carry a 50 psi max pressure rating. Newer gen wheel (rim and centers) are made from thicker/stronger material and may be rated for a D or E tire pressures. The benefit of a D or E tire comes only at those higher pressures.

New gen ST tires like the Endurance from Goodyear or Provider from Taskmaster or the Carlisle HD enjoy some of the better reliability/better service mileage according to those folks like yourself that were victims of cheap low cost ST tire brands.

There were 14" LT tires years ago but not anymore. In 15" LT their about two sizes left on the market with 1800-2000 lb capacity. If your trailer is a road trailer and you run 20k-30k miles a year this is the way to go if you want to spend more bucks.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12th Man Fan wrote:

How fast were you driving. Most ST trailer tires are rated at 65 mph.

x2 for this. amazed every time I hit the road with my tt, how many others blast past me. they must be doing 75+ mph. it's a wonder there aren't more blowouts.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 11:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't use Load Range C tires to move my trailer around in a parking lot, let alone tow with it on the road... Get E's if you can, D's at a minimum.

Reason you lost the third tire is because you overloaded it when the first two blew out.

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 03:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rollindowntheroad wrote:

This is my first RV so still learning everything. I have not had the tires balanced. One tire dealer did suggest going to 15" tires, he said those are much easier to find in D or E rated. But then I would have to get all new rims as well.

I did not check the tire pressure before I left for this last trip this weekend. Guess that's another check list item before getting on the road.

IMO folks having blowouts are running on compromised tires. The vast majority of new TT have tire that just barely meet the load requirements and while overloading can be a factor, under inflation hitting a road hazard like a curb or pothole can seriously reduce the max capacity dramatically and instantly. Also, having with a flat, blowout or running one tire underinflated will overload the other tire on that size, compromising it's load carrying capacity making that seemingly good tire unreliable down the road one the other tire is fixed/replaced. In the rare few flats I have had I always repace tires in pairs on whatever side of the trailer I have had an issue with. The last mistake folks often make is exceeding the speed limitations on whatever tire they are running which over time will reduce the load carrying capacity of the tires to the point that they become unreliable.

With all that said if one pays particular attention to all the above I believe one can run whatever tire you want right up to the full load capacity of that tire reliably. Over the last 35+ years of towing multible trailers mainly with GY Marathons I have had my tires loaded to within 100lbs of their max load carrying capacity almost 100% of the time with out a single blowout or serious tread separation. My only bad experiences to date were with the one set of Kumho "D" rated tires I had along with some passenger related tires back in the 90's what were well over 5 to 8 years old and had well over 20K miles on them. Taking these two outlyers out of the equation in those 35+ years I have had two tire failures, one tread separation back in the mid 1980's on the road and one two flats, both from nails on on the road and one I noticed while in the campground during my pre departure walk around before leaving that day.

After running GY marathons since 1995 did recently opt to move up to the GY Endurance load range D tires this last year when my existing Marathons got to be in the 5+ year age.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I continue to find these threads hilarious.
Always the care of the tires is blamed by the "blame it on the owner crowd".
Check your tire pressure every moorning, and inspect the tires at every stop. Don't drive too fast. Don't hit anything. Watch out for potholes.
Really if we all treated our commuter vehicle tires this carefully, we would never get to work.

The answer is getting better tires.

Do what ever it takes to get LTs on your TT and never look back.

PM me if you want some advise on how to do it right.

Well, for decades my income was from getting there. I learned to take care of tires. And with 18-30 on the ground depending on trip, I did not stick all every day. But I was around them enough to be able to put the gauge on part of them, and hammer all. Few RVers are going to spend that much time. And if I was picking up a trailer I had not used for a few weeks, the gauge goes on all.
If the OP has not weighed his snot, he can't know if he needs heavier tires, or how much heavier. But no matter how heavy a tire, if not inflated right, it is likely to blow.

am1958

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My "China Bombs" went almost six years and 15,000 miles before one blew out four hours into a trip. They've all been replaced now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Fed up with tire blow outs!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.