Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fed up with tire blow outs!!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Fed up with tire blow outs!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regardless of what some say , check the pressure before the trip. Make sure your axels and berings are greassed ( not every trip or even every year, but if you bought someone elses stuff its a good idea to make sure it works as designed). And watch your speed. I do also check for overheating when im stopped. And I try not to run the camper on the shoulder, all sorts of junk there to put holes in the tires. To the op, the weight rating on the tire should be baised on the TT weight, not on you need stronger tires because you had a flat. Make shure there the correct range and your are not overweight in the TT. Ive had no problems with my tires and have been up and down the east coast.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had that many blowouts I'd also be inclined to check the trailers axle alignment, easily done with tape measure.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

rollindowntheroad wrote:

What is going to be the difference between a D or E rated or light truck tire?

More plies..... Thicker material.

Get an "E" rated tire and I'll bet you never have another blowout.

You will have a hard time finding a Load Range E tire for 14" wheels.

4 Load Range D tire will add over 2,000 lb capacity.

Segue - Several years back, I bought a new boat and trailer. It had Carlisle tires. One fell apart after the second or third trip (less than 200 miles). I replaced them with bias ply made by Nitto (?). Made in Vietnam (?). No issues after 12 years when I sold the rig. (I'll never buy another Carlisle tire again !)

rollindowntheroad

Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been calling tires places this morning. Been told that there is not an E rated tire made in a 14". The best I could find is a D rated tire in a 14" and that would have to be ordered.

I don't know if I can go to a 15" tire, will have to measure to see how much room I have. If I can go to a 15" then there are more options, but would have to get new rims as well. Goodyear makes the Endurance tire that seems to be a much better tire.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rollindowntheroad wrote:

I've been calling tires places this morning. Been told that there is not an E rated tire made in a 14". The best I could find is a D rated tire in a 14" and that would have to be ordered.

Don't over think this ! Load Range D give you an additional 2,000 lb capacity (500 lb per tire).

It will be difficult to find LT tires for 14" rims.

* This post was edited 09/08/20 08:56am by theoldwizard1 *

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

rollindowntheroad wrote:

Don't over think this ! Load Range D give you an additional 2,000 lb capacity (500 lb per tire).

It will be difficult to find LT tires for 14" rims.

Agree, been running nothing but load range D tires on last 2 trailers, no issues.

On the road with BIL last year he had a blowout. Apon inspection I was amazed to find his C rated tires fell short of the trailers GVWR.....I blame the RV manufacturer,not the tires.

* This post was edited 09/08/20 09:19am by kellem *

rollindowntheroad

Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the 2 options I can get:
Get 14" D load rated tires - Approx $500.00
Get 15" D load rated tires, new rims - $900.00 These would be the Goodyear Endurance tires.

This would be them coming to the TT where I store it and changing the 4 tires, I wouldn't have to tow it to a tire shop. At this point I'm leery of towing it 2 blocks.

I am planning on keeping this TT another 2 to 3 years at the most, then getting something a little bigger to full time in. Only going to use it 1 weekend a month until retirement. Only going about 2 hours from my home when I do use it.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP's 2018 Trace 253AIR is a rear kitchen. If he has the kitchen fully stocked and carrying a full tank of fresh water, his 4 tires are probably carrying a guesstimated ~1350lbs each. Well under his Towmax ST205/75R14 Load C rating of 1760lb @ 50lbs cold.

I think his problem began when one blew for whatever reason, most likely a rear. At that point, the remaining 3 tires are carrying 1800 lb and compromised. Most likely the one on the same side of the blowout is carrying much more. It just snowballed from there.

Again, my guess is he eventually lost both rear tires and one of the front tires. Rear kitchens a tail heavy if not loaded properly.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rollindowntheroad wrote:

Here's the 2 options I can get:
Get 14" D load rated tires - Approx $500.00
Get 15" D load rated tires, new rims - $900.00 These would be the Goodyear Endurance tires.
Goodyear has Endurance ST205/75R14 D load. 2040 lbs @65psi if you don't want to upgrade to 15"

rollindowntheroad

Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

OP's 2018 Trace 253AIR is a rear kitchen. If he has the kitchen fully stocked and carrying a full tank of fresh water, his 4 tires are probably carrying a guesstimated ~1350lbs each. Well under his Towmax ST205/75R14 Load C rating of 1760lb @ 50lbs cold.

I think his problem began when one blew for whatever reason, most likely a rear. At that point, the remaining 3 tires are carrying 1800 lb and compromised. Most likely the one on the same side of the blowout is carrying much more. It just snowballed from there.

Again, my guess is he eventually lost both rear tires and one of the front tires. Rear kitchens a tail heavy if not loaded properly.

You are correct, my TT is a rear kitchen. However it is never fully stocked as I use it just for a weekend once a month. All 3 tires did not blow at the same time. The first to go was the driver side rear. This weekend the passenger side rear blew on my way to the campground. On my way home the passenger side front went. Each time I heard the tire pop I pulled over immediately.

* This post was edited 09/08/20 11:04am by rollindowntheroad *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Fed up with tire blow outs!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.