Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fed up with tire blow outs!!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Fed up with tire blow outs!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 02:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lane hog wrote:

rollindowntheroad wrote:

All 3 tires did not blow at the same time. The first to go was the driver side rear. This weekend the passenger side rear blew on my way to the campground. On my way home the passenger side front went. Each time I heard the tire pop I pulled over immediately.

Yep, and when the drivers rear went out, you immediately overloaded the other three tires. Repeat for the other two losses -- the remaining tire on that side

Doesn't matter how quickly you reacted -- they still had to carry extra weight, and suddenly at speed.

I don't believe that loosing one tire on a tandem axle trailer overloads the two tires on the opposite side of the one where the tire failure occurred. However, as I discussed in my previous post it will definitely double the load on the one tire remaining on the side of the tire failure seriously compromising that tire I feel to the point that I would not trust it except as an emergency spare in the future and hence my thoughts that tires need to be replaced in pairs when you have a tire failure on a tandem axle trailer.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rollindowntheroad wrote:

2112 wrote:

OP's 2018 Trace 253AIR is a rear kitchen. If he has the kitchen fully stocked and carrying a full tank of fresh water, his 4 tires are probably carrying a guesstimated ~1350lbs each. Well under his Towmax ST205/75R14 Load C rating of 1760lb @ 50lbs cold.

I think his problem began when one blew for whatever reason, most likely a rear. At that point, the remaining 3 tires are carrying 1800 lb and compromised. Most likely the one on the same side of the blowout is carrying much more. It just snowballed from there.

Again, my guess is he eventually lost both rear tires and one of the front tires. Rear kitchens a tail heavy if not loaded properly.

You are correct, my TT is a rear kitchen. However it is never fully stocked as I use it just for a weekend once a month. All 3 tires did not blow at the same time. The first to go was the driver side rear. This weekend the passenger side rear blew on my way to the campground. On my way home the passenger side front went. Each time I heard the tire pop I pulled over immediately.
I was being extremely conservative with the 1350lb tire load estimate. Your TT fully loaded to GVW would have close to 1700lbs per tire. Load rated C tire are marginal at best for this TT. Especially a rear kitchen with very little cargo weight up front to counter the kitchen weight.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think of the rear axle as a fulcrum, the distance from the rear axle to the rear wall as the lever, and the weight of the fridge, stove/oven and any other weight placed in the kitchen area as the applied force. That force, plus the dynamic force being applied by up and down movement of the TT is applied to the rear axle.

That section of road where your blowouts occurred, is it somewhat uneven, wavy or bouncy?

On Edit: Heck, the road condition in question could have been 50-200 miles from the actual blowout event. I guess the question would be, in your travels, do you encounter a road condition that causes noticeable TT up and down movement?

* This post was edited 09/09/20 05:16am by 2112 *

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

rollindowntheroad wrote:

2112 wrote:

OP's 2018 Trace 253AIR is a rear kitchen. If he has the kitchen fully stocked and carrying a full tank of fresh water, his 4 tires are probably carrying a guesstimated ~1350lbs each. Well under his Towmax ST205/75R14 Load C rating of 1760lb @ 50lbs cold.

I think his problem began when one blew for whatever reason, most likely a rear. At that point, the remaining 3 tires are carrying 1800 lb and compromised. Most likely the one on the same side of the blowout is carrying much more. It just snowballed from there.

Again, my guess is he eventually lost both rear tires and one of the front tires. Rear kitchens a tail heavy if not loaded properly.

You are correct, my TT is a rear kitchen. However it is never fully stocked as I use it just for a weekend once a month. All 3 tires did not blow at the same time. The first to go was the driver side rear. This weekend the passenger side rear blew on my way to the campground. On my way home the passenger side front went. Each time I heard the tire pop I pulled over immediately.
I was being extremely conservative with the 1350lb tire load estimate. Your TT fully loaded to GVW would have close to 1700lbs per tire. Load rated C tire are marginal at best for this TT. Especially a rear kitchen with very little cargo weight up front to counter the kitchen weight.

Yup. Probably overweight. Don't tires have a lesser weight rating for dule load also? I dont know whats on his camper but i bet it wasn't enough.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever route you choose to go for tire upgrades, have the shop balance them. I show why in this video, although the tires in the video are really cheap, extremely low end tires made overseas.

I'd also get all metal valve stems so you can add a TMPS system

In this video I do more rambling about ST tires when I show a set of Goodyear Endurance I installed on a small cargo trailer.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

rollindowntheroad

Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Think of the rear axle as a fulcrum, the distance from the rear axle to the rear wall as the lever, and the weight of the fridge, stove/oven and any other weight placed in the kitchen area as the applied force. That force, plus the dynamic force being applied by up and down movement of the TT is applied to the rear axle.

That section of road where your blowouts occurred, is it somewhat uneven, wavy or bouncy?

On Edit: Heck, the road condition in question could have been 50-200 miles from the actual blowout event. I guess the question would be, in your travels, do you encounter a road condition that causes noticeable TT up and down movement?

There was a bridge that I went over that was wavy and I noticed up and down movement when I went over that. Other than that I can't think of any other road conditions. On Friday the blow out happened prior to going over that bridge. The other 2 times I had crossed that bridge and then the blow outs happened, about 20 miles later.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

All 3 tires did not blow at the same time. The first to go was the driver side rear. This weekend the passenger side rear blew on my way to the campground. On my way home the passenger side front went. Each time I heard the tire pop I pulled over immediately.

Same scenario from others/myself who had multiple "blowouts" using low cost ST tires like the blowmax or just old tires.
When one blows out or a tread delam with loss of air usually the others will come pretty quick some where down the road.
On a multi axle trailer like yours, with equalizer bars, having a flat on one tire will not overload the next one in line. The flat tire is still carrying weight through the equalizer bar. If the flat is ran long enough the tire is quickly worn away down to the rim and its started to grind away. Steel wheels make a beautiful spark shower at nite.

What usually goes down is the good tire next to the one that is shredding get cut/bruised from steel belts as the sling about at 60 mph. Some where down the road it may give you grief.

If the 14" Endurance are on back order I would go with the Providers from Taskmaster or the Carlisle HD I mentioned in a reply above. Just like the Endurance both are the new gen higher speed rated ST tires.

I've pulled work trailers over a million miles. Through trial and error I've learned trailers can be over tired. Always went back to choosing a tire with 10-15 percent capacity above the trailers OEM axle ratings.
Many folks like to go with a good brand E tire when replacing cheap OEM C tires then claim the E was superior. A better quality OEM C tire does the same thing.

Don't get hung up on the thinking a D or E tire is needed..... a better quality OEM C tire will work just fine if they have plenty of capacity.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rollindowntheroad

Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I talked with a tire dealer this morning, locally, they told me that Goodyear makes an Endurance in 215/75r14. They didn't have any in stock but could order them and get them in a couple of days. The only difference is that the 215's are a little wider than the 205's. I measured my TT and the 215's will fit. I ordered them. Total was $602.00, that's everything even put on my TT. Then the guy says they will probably be delivered on Friday. We are having a sale this weekend that anyone that buys a set of 4 tires gets $100 off. So your total will be $502.00. YIPPEE!!! Made my day!

So Goodyear Endurance 215/75r14 is what is going to be put on. Hopefully no more blowouts!

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

piece of mind................... PRICELESS

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lane hog wrote:

rollindowntheroad wrote:

Yep, and when the drivers rear went out, you immediately overloaded the other three tires. Repeat for the other two losses -- the remaining tire on that side

Doesn't matter how quickly you reacted -- they still had to carry extra weight, and suddenly at speed.

Unless they are torsion axles not true. A standard trailer with an equalizer between the springs distributes the weight between the axles evenly, that's why it's called an equalizer.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Fed up with tire blow outs!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.