Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fed up with tire blow outs!!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Fed up with tire blow outs!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
FlyboyTR56

Mobile, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have become a big believer in the Goodyear Endurance ST tire. I have over 25k miles on them in the past 24 months. We also used them on previous travel trailer (much heavier) with no problems.

A common missed thing about multiple blowouts on tandem axle rigs usually starts with minimal tire capacity. When one blows out, all the weight is instantly transferred to the one remaining tire. Which is now grossly overloaded. Depending on how long it gets pulled before the driver realizes something isn't right...causes the tire to get hot quickly. Now you put on your spare and the next surprise is when the over-worked/loaded tire blows out.

Yes....go to a D or E rated tire. Let your tire dealer order them if needed.

Check your air pressure EVERY morning!

At every stop quickly lay your hands on each axle hub and the tire...get a feel for what is normal. Using an infrared thermometer is also a good thing. When we stop, my wife checks with the thermometer and I check with my hands. Double insurance.

Buy a quality tire pressure/temperature monitor so you can see what your trailer tires are doing. Most blowouts don't occur without something leading up to the event...loosing pressure and tire getting hot.

FlyboyTR56

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

A common missed thing about multiple blowouts on tandem axle rigs usually starts with minimal tire capacity. When one blows out, all the weight is instantly transferred to the one remaining tire. Which is now grossly overloaded.

"Grossly overloaded".....This is a common statement we see on mostly rv websites. There is a small amount of transferred weight but not enough for a gross overload.
If the tire that lost its pressure and has been ran flat long enough it will shred from rolling on the pavement... and can slap/beat the other tire with steel tread belts causing cuts/bruises which can lead to issues down the road.
If the operator hasn't paid attention in his mirrors or running at nite and can't see in his mirrors the flat tire can run long enough to grind the tires sidewall away as its rolling all the way down to and including the trailer wheels rim which will also grind down, as its rolling, and on down to the wheel centers. With no load on the ruined wheel then the good tire is taking all the flat tires load.
When I was pulling for a living I've seen this happen mostly at nite with aluminum wheels. They won't throw a spark shower like steel wheels so the driver can miss the event that he would have seen in daylite.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

RidgeRunner24

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last trip had 2 flats,limped in to a gas station with tire thumping. Bough 4 new tires. At camp ground next day, new tire was flat. Took it in for repair and no problems found, seal or some debris in valve stem, go figure!
Carry a good bottle jack.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy some better tires with a higher rating.
Slow down.
Add some air pressure.
Blow outs, say more than one every 5 years is not normal at all.

FlyboyTR56

Mobile, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

A common missed thing about multiple blowouts on tandem axle rigs usually starts with minimal tire capacity. When one blows out, all the weight is instantly transferred to the one remaining tire. Which is now grossly overloaded.

"Grossly overloaded".....This is a common statement we see on mostly rv websites. There is a small amount of transferred weight but not enough for a gross overload.
If the tire that lost its pressure and has been ran flat long enough it will shred from rolling on the pavement... and can slap/beat the other tire with steel tread belts causing cuts/bruises which can lead to issues down the road.
If the operator hasn't paid attention in his mirrors or running at nite and can't see in his mirrors the flat tire can run long enough to grind the tires sidewall away as its rolling all the way down to and including the trailer wheels rim which will also grind down, as its rolling, and on down to the wheel centers. With no load on the ruined wheel then the good tire is taking all the flat tires load.
When I was pulling for a living I've seen this happen mostly at nite with aluminum wheels. They won't throw a spark shower like steel wheels so the driver can miss the event that he would have seen in daylite.

Excellent point! All these years and I never really thought about a tire coming apart doing damage to the other tire! I could see where that could be possible.

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/20 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

That's why they are known as China bombs. You can also consider light truck tires. Whatever inflate to max when cold. If you go with trailer tires go to E rated.

He says that he has 14" rims. I think that the max rating he can go to is D rated.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dont know if it has been asked or not, but what valve stems were in the rim. as in were they rubber or metal valve stems?

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, glad you got this figured out. You will be happy with the New Goodyear tires.

In the first 5 or 6 replies no one talked about the load range of your original tires. They were quick to talk "China bombs" as if this was the issue. I purchased a new Starcraft hybrid back around 2005 and it came with LRC Carlisle tires. The maximum payload of the tires was just slightly above the GVW of the trailer. Very close, almost no cushion. I lost a tire soon. It was NOT the country of origin that was the issue it was the poor match of tire to trailer.

When people say "air them to the max" this only is true if you have a low payload capacity. To get the maximum payload you have to have the max air pressure on the side of the tire. Anything less will cause the tire to flex which builds heat which weakens the tire which....well you know all about what happens next. I now have an Airstream and run LRE tires which might be a bit of overkill. They are the Carlisle HD Radials and have been fantastic tires. Over 20K miles on these and after I set the PSI to 70 in the spring, I usually don't have to adjust them. The LRE gave me tires with speed rating of 81 MPH, with max inflation of 80 PSI. I will never go 81 and I don't inflate to 80 but I do like the cushion of safety.

I prefer ST tires. They are designed for trailers and have stronger sidewalls which help deal with the flexing they get when turning tight corners and backing up. Dragging tires in camping spots does stress the sidewalls. Again, the most important thing when it comes to tires is to make sure you have a load range sufficient to carry the weight of the trailer with a good amount of cushion. Best wishes.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

rollindowntheroad

Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 02:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well the Goodyear tires are on. Only towed it from the tire place to where I store it, about 4 miles. No flat in that distance.....lol. My next trip is scheduled for first part of November, will have to wait to see what happens. I also ordered tire covers while not in use. The sun here in Florida eats away at everything! Where I got the tires they had a special that if you spent over $500 you got $100 off. So the 4 new Goodyear's were $500.

Yes I have 14" rims. Was told E rated tires are not available in 14". Same with light truck tires. Would have to go to 15" for those. That would have been another $500 or so to go to 15".

Hopefully I won't have any more issues. Will also be checking the pressure before each trip.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was going to ask about tire pressure. Were you assuring proper pressure before each trip? Mine lose a little over time from sitting in the hot Texas sun.

I upgraded mine from LRD to Endurance LRE. D's max at 65psi while E's max at 80psi. I aired the new E's to 80 psi and it was like riding on basketballs. Way too bouncy. I have found 68psi provides the best experience for me. I provided you a load/pressure chart for a reason.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Fed up with tire blow outs!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.