Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Solar Panel Wiring on Rubber Roof
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Panel Wiring on Rubber Roof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to "third" the suggestion for Eternabond. You can cut just a few strips to stick it down in a few places and you'll be good to go. Mine has been attached that way for about 15 years.

And I did in fact also use the Hengs roof coat a couple years ago over the top of all of it.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

JTLance

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the 3M VHB taped tie wrap holder and a tie wrap, try it BEFORE you add sticky stuff like Eternabond.

* This post was edited 09/08/20 08:48pm by JTLance *

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eternabond is great and stick like crazy. But the idea of having a tube to protect the cables is good too. Plus if you need to add or upgrade cables, you can feed new in without messing with unsticking them from the roof. Maybe a gob of sealant or a gland at each end to keep out water, bugs, etc.

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

JTLance

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unsticking VHB tape is super easy!

Mineral spirits poured next to it and (like a spatula) push under the sticky pad like a pancake a few times...Pop! ——They pop right off!

Nope, with a excellent UV resistant PV cable, VHB tape is way way strong enough. Need new cable, clip wire tie (leaving stuck pad) change wire, add new wire tie... Done.

Jeeze, we are talking wires, not friggen panels.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some Dicor dabs, some Eternabond tape. Combiner boxes are rarely needed, and best avoided IMO.

[image]

[image]

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

freetheheel, no I don't have pictures. But yes, it is a rubber roof. Several years ago I coated the rubber roof, removed the panels and simply took a heat gun to the Dicor "glue". The conduit pulled up with no problem, took a plastic putty knife and removed the remaining Dicor. When I completed the coating, reinstalled the panels, and put a dab of Dicor self leveling sealant to hold the conduit back down. Thye conduit is called "Liquid Tight". Cheap and easy to use.

chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

freetheheal wrote:

bobsallyh wrote:

I put the wires in the gray flexible plastic conduit (Lowes/HD) and used Dicor Self Leveling for the "glue" to hold it down seven years ago and still in place.

That is kind of what I was thinking and I'm glad to hear you've had success. I don't want to leave the cables exposed to the elements and have been wondering what to enclose them in. I take it your roof is rubber as well? Do you have any photos?

Thanks for all the replies from everyone.

I did this a few years ago with the wiring and coax for my sat dish. It is still holding up fine. BUT, be sure to coat the plastic conduit or the UV will make it so brittle it will fall apart over time. I coated mine with Hengs roof coating. Chuck

freetheheal

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the advice and photos from everyone. This definitely gives me some great ideas.

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuckbear, that is surprising to hear of that with Liquid Tite. We used a lot of it before I retired from the telco company. Also most central A/C installers here in Arizona use it between the breaker box and the A/C unit.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know why you would want to use it. But most liquid-tite will be UV rated. Just like most solar cables are UV rated. Which is why pulling the UV cable through a UV liquid-tite seems like nonsense to me. If you use it, check the specs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Panel Wiring on Rubber Roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.