cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My luck ran out,, Hail Storm.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Considering all the years I've been camping, starting with tents, and going through all 4 of my Travel Trailers that I have owned I have to consider myself weather lucky. But, my luck ran out this Labor Day Weekend.

Saturday night I got hit by ping pong ball sized hail.

I have had many other times when I was camping and got a little nervous. A few times I hid out in the bathroom at the park. But, this time was different. I was sleeping around 1 AM when I woke up to big winds and I thought that I better get dressed. (The alert on my phone had been going off but, I am so used to it that I did not wake up) . Before I had a chance to even think about heading for cover the hail storm was beginning. I was feeling emotional pain each time a big stone hit, I knew damage was being done to both my TT and my pickup.

It only lasted a couple of minutes.

After it was over, as quickly as it had started, I went outside to look. The tent campers had all made a run for the bathroom and were starting to come out. Some of them had wrecked tents and they headed for home in their vehicles. ( The more expensive tents from places like REI held up well. The cheap tents were either blown down with broken poles or shredded.) A look at my pickup trucks hood and camper sides found lots of small dents. A roof vent was broken out and the refrigerator vent cover on the roof was shattered. A taillight lens on the camper was broken. Not much I could do in the dark so I stuck the chuck of foam I use to keep the light out in roof vent and I tried to go back to sleep.

The next morning I drove home to get a ladder. ( I was camping not far from home and my TT doesn't have a built in ladder) I had a old cracked roof vent cover in storage at home and I brought that back with me along with a roll of good duck tape. I replaced the vent cover and taped up the fridge cover best as I could. I spent another night at the campground but, there was a lot less people there. A lot of them had gone for home.

Actually, I am still quite lucky. It could have been much, much, worse. The pickup hood can be repaired (Though my deductible is 250 so it is going to cost me some) The camper vent covers I can fix myself. The dents in the camper are just going to have to stay. It's to old to be worth fixing. Some of them show up easily, others you have to look hard to see.

Could have been worse. I still feel lucky. But, It still sucks to be stuck with all the little dents in the camper from now on. Along with the cost of fixing the pickup.

The TT doesn't look as good as it used too.

Oh Well.
14 REPLIES 14

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
campigloo wrote:
Weather can definitely be scary. Your trailer doesnโ€™t have dents, it has battle scars. It a source of pride!
Happy travels!!

What a great idea. If someone points out the dents I'll just say they are battle scars !

Of course he next thing they will say is "what was it in a battle with?" I guess I'll have to say the weather. Or how about a battle with a angry cloud ? Or pissed off ice ?

Any other ideas for a answer to what the battle was with ?

A tree landed on mine back in May. A biiggg one. I tell people it was assaulted by a sweet gum tree

windinmyface2
Explorer
Explorer
"The Weather Gods".
lets go!!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
campigloo wrote:
Weather can definitely be scary. Your trailer doesnโ€™t have dents, it has battle scars. It a source of pride!
Happy travels!!

What a great idea. If someone points out the dents I'll just say they are battle scars !

Of course he next thing they will say is "what was it in a battle with?" I guess I'll have to say the weather. Or how about a battle with a angry cloud ? Or pissed off ice ?

Any other ideas for a answer to what the battle was with ?

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Happy travels!!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Our old 2000 model SUV got hailed on pretty good a couple of times, and I didn't even bother having the dents fixed (saving the deductible). My wife still drives it (she doesn't want me to replace it) and the dents don't affect performance.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
i had a toy hauler hit with hail. only three dents and a roof vent cover. insurance totaled it. i kept it and took the lessor amount, replaced the ventcover, used it for 4 more years, sold it and made money over what i paid for it. used the hauler for 5-6 yrs total and i bought it used.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Could have been worse. I still feel lucky. But, It still sucks to be stuck with all the little dents in the camper from now on. Along with the cost of fixing the pickup.
Sorry about the truck. Camper? I call that "patina"
As long as no one is hurt all is good. Count your blessings, not your hardships.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about your damage. Sounds like you've dodged some bullets over the years!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie, sorry to hear about that....one of my biggest fears! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might take pics of the dents you don't plan to fix. I bought a pickup with a lot of hail damage to use for work. By the end of the next summer most where gone. Now if I cared about the dents my luck doesn't work that way. But it might give you a Wow! later.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
CavemanCharlie wrote:

Oh Well.

Being a glass 1/2 full person--perhaps the dimples will improve the laminar flow--and give you better gas mileage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Sorry for your troubles CC.

I have been in only 2 or 3 hail storms on vacation and they were pretty soft with no damage.

(FYI when a roof vent blew off once I used and umbrella in a rain storm. It worked great!)

I've been through several large hail storms, but only had truck damage once, on previous truck. It is true about the hail being soft/hard, as to damage amount, even when the same size. I've had many broken vents, and a couple AC covers damaged to point of replacement.

It is pretty somber right after, when folks come out to inspect their damage.

Jerry

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your pain. 2 years ago all hooked up and ready to pull out to go camping the next morning. Hail storm came through about midnight golf ball size. $3,700 damage to my truck had insurance- 5er no insurance $2,200 out of pocket. We had decided only a day before to go early otherwise they would have been still under cover if we were leaving the evening instead of early morning.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your troubles CC.

I have been in only 2 or 3 hail storms on vacation and they were pretty soft with no damage.

(FYI when a roof vent blew off once I used and umbrella in a rain storm. It worked great!)
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln