cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh Water Tank

campingis4us
Explorer
Explorer
Hello- I had a mishap this weekend filling my freshwater tank. I turned it in and forgot about it while I was loading it up. I heard a loud boom, at first I thought my propane tank or something blew up, and then water just started pouring out from underneath. I am guessing I blew the tank out, but not sure? I would think there would be safety features in place to stop this from happening?? I can’t get it into the dealer for 3 weeks. Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are on this.
10 REPLIES 10

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
crazybanshee wrote:
Has anyone tried and used flex seal tape on a water tank?

Tried and failed immediately
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

crazybanshee
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried and used flex seal tape on a water tank?
2007 Volvo VNL780
2017 Momentum 397th
2 Honda 400EX's
3 Yamaha Banshees
Honda 250EX
15 Polaris 900 S VOODOO Blue
15 Polaris 900 S Titanium Matte Metal
17 Polaris S 1000 Stealth Black
Polaris Outlaw 110

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Little pop = blown off hose or fitting. Loud boom = split tank OR the tank ballooned enough to pull out the hanger straps, and it crashed into the underbelly which can pull it away from both the fill and and vent hoses.

Anyways... this isn't a defect. Water tanks are supposed to be gravity-fill only, and can be pressurized if you jam the hose in and don't shut it off as soon as its full.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Can you slowly add water now and see if it leaks and where it leaks from?

2nd that!

Ummm guessing I blew the tank? Have you looked for any damage yet.

I always keep an eye on my overflow while filling. I sure you could use a Flow~Meter Water Timer of sorts.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

dedmiston
Can you slowly add water now and see if it leaks and where it leaks from?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
probably split a seam. I did it once when filling, had the trailer tilted away from filler/vent and it trapped some air, air compresses, water doesn't. Split the upper seam about 10" long. I repaired it with an ABS repair kit. If the tank is black, it's ABS and can be fixed that way, if it's white it's got to be "welded" as suggested.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
did you have a water pressure regulator on the hose that you were filling your fresh water tank with? If not do you believe the water pressure was 20-30 lbs above 40 lbs?

Y-Guy
Try to inspect, you should have had a overflow. These are generally near the top of the tank if it was kinked it could be a manufacturing fault if you are under warranty.

Where is the break at, how big is it? You may also contact a mobile RV tech to come check it out too.

Here are some recent topics addressing plastic welding that might help, click here

And some from the archives, click here

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Typically fresh water tank has a small vent line (3/8" ?) and an open overflow (1/2") bur sounds like input water flow was more then overflow could handle

Plastic welding.....NOT into a Dealer
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's an overflow on the tanks. You must of had your hose bib (faucet) on full blast. Big no-no. You could take it to a radiator shop and see if he can patch you up (plastic welder).