cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 Escape Hybrid Towing Question

TC285
Explorer
Explorer
Some questions on towing a 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD - behind my Motorhome. I have an appointment to have the car set up towing in a couple of weeks and there are a couple of questions I would like some help with.

When reading through the procedure as stated on Page 282 in manual to set up Neutral Tow some questions come to mind.
1. The last step states โ€œSwitch the ignition offโ€ - (set up is done in accessory mode prior to this last step).

2. Is the 12 volt power socket active during Neutral Tow mode or does it remain off because the ignition switch was turned off during set up for neutral tow ? I plan to use my Brake Buddy which requires the 12 volt power socket.

3. With ignition switch off does this have any affect on steering wheel movement as it tracks behind the motorhome?

4. Has anyone used the Brake Buddy with their new Escape Hybrid?

Thanks

Ted and Claire

San Jose, Ca

2001 National "Sea View" Class A V-10
5 REPLIES 5

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
What constitutes a "new" car to qualify as not having a steering wheel lock. We have a manual transmission 2018 Corolla which is rated to tow, and it DEFINITELY DOES have a steering wheel lock. So my advice is to check out an individual car VERY carefully to see if it has a steering wheel lock. I know that some cars do not, but others do.

Ed Headington

TC285
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to those of you that answered my ?
I appreciate the help.
I didn't realize that the 12 Volt Socket was programed to time out after a short time.
I also found out that the new Brake Buddy Classic 3 has a separate setting for Hybrids and other vehicles with power assisted brakes.
Thanks Again,

Ted and Claire

San Jose, Ca

2001 National "Sea View" Class A V-10

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The 12-volt socket is on a timer. Most Fords are set at 30 minutes after the ignition is shut off but, the dealer can program this to effectively stay on (I think the max is 2,400 minutes).

Modern cars do not have steering wheel locks anymore, so nothing to worry about there. Likewise, EPAS is only active when the ignition is in on, so it should track just like an old-fashioned hydraulic system without power.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I can not help directly on the subject, however I can address the steering wheel lock or unlock.

Years ago I pulled a jeep, my first trip I did not reed the directions fully and had the steering wheel locked. When I got to my destination about 2 hours away the front tires on the jeep blew out. I could see where the were rubbing from not being able to turn.

Lesion learned make sure you unlock the steering wheel the front needs to track.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
You can test the 12 V socket by plugging something in with the ignition in the various positions. You should also be able to check to see if the steering wheel is locked or not.
When I tow my Honda the steering wheel is unlocked and the 12 V outlet is powered for my Brake Buddy.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer