Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What is best AC unit for Tent Camping?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> What is best AC unit for Tent Camping?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Philipke

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 12:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is best for Tent Camping Portable Air Conditioner vs Window AC vs Battery Powered AC?
I have checked lots of the products on Amazon, but none of them had satisfying reviews, so can any recommend which type of AC unit is best for Tent camping.

Dave Pete

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the window mount method, if you have a strong wind fly and a zip-able screen.

Rest the bottom edge of the cooling unit on the lower tent window screen opening (use velcro or sew some small loops out of parachute cord, as it will hold LOTS of weight - military issue that is).

Attach that same cord (or velcro stick-on tabs) to the underside of the rain fly where it extends outward near the top of its horizontal plane.

Connect the hanging chains to those, and get good support, then attach the water-fill components, and add water to the proper level. I'm describing an evaporative cooler install, because that's best in the west and takes less electricity, which you're probably going to have to create with a small hand-crank generator. Because installing a gas generator is an option, but not really conducive to tent camping - if you know what I mean.

Bring your water source to the unit from a gravity-feed 5 gallon water jug turned on its side, and with opened valve. The float mechanism in the water pan of the cooler will keep you from running out of water.

Next, turn on the blower and enjoy the scientific wonder of the cooling effect of the absorption of latent heat while turning a liquid into a gas! Amazing!

Alternatively, route water from a nearby mountain creek into the water pan. But really, if you're near a mountain creek you will probably have trees (shade) and elevation (cooler temperatures) and might not even need an air conditioner. That's kind of the idea of the great outdoors.

And if this was a serious question, I apologize. But OMG.

Perhaps a few more specifics for the exact situation a new forum user might encounter in our current weird world while perhaps trying to figure out how to cool the tent one might be living in. Of course you could be a troll.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using anything AC Electric of course has the problem of where do you get your AC Power from. Running a generator 24/7 is not a good idea as this will be a noise maker and you will get problems with other close-by campers...

I can't really think of a DC Powered such unit...

Tent Camping and heavy 120VAC usage just really doesn't go together...

I have tent camped alot over the years and ran across an idea that has worked for me. I had a large battery bank along with a 2KW Honda Generator and my routine was always based around running all my 120VAC and 12VDC needs from my battery bank and always would monitor my 12V level to make sure I would never drain the batteries below their 50% charge state. This is somewhere around 12.0VDC as read on a master DC VOLTs monitor meter. I would want this to occur around 8AM in the mornings so I could fire up my 2kW Generator to charge my batteries. In my case this would take around three hours of generator run time each morning. Doing this during the breakfast time was a good choice for me...

120VAC Air conditioners will draw alot of AC Power which in my case was not a good option having a Power Inverter setup tp provide the 120VAC @20-25AMPS to run an air conditioner all night long...

One of my ideas I came up with an old automobile heater unit with built in 12VDC fan along with a 12VDC LOW wattage water pump arrangement. It was amazing I could get a pretty cool air movement going by throwing a long water hose into a close by creek and pump this cold creek water thru the car radiator/heater setup and add a second long water hose to allow the water that was being pumped go back into the creek. Then I would run the 12VDC fan to route the cold air into the tent setup... This works pretty good. In my case I was able to run such a pump all night long and not run down my battery bank below it's 50% charge state. I would then fire up my 2KW generator the next morning during breakfast and recharge my battery bank. Good for the next day/night run of the 12VDC Pump haha...

Just passing along one of my experiments of tent camping off grid somewhere...

My tent had two doors and it was easy to setup the car heater arrangement with fan setup taped in place coming thru one of the tent doors...

Of course if you are camping on private property where noise making is not an issue then you can get a larger generator to run all the time giving you your needed 120VAC at 20-25AMPS current. For the most part this just is not a good idea of running your big AC Generator 24/7 to support air conditioning in a tent setup... You will be running to town as well bringing back generator fuel...

Hopefully others on here may have additional ideas on air conditioning and tent camping...

ADDED NOTE: I was typing my comments up before the above post was sent by Pete... Glad we both were in the about the same story line haha...

Roy Ken
[image]

* This post was edited 09/08/20 06:53am by RoyB *

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AC in a tent? What's wrong with this picture? Didn't have AC in our OD Pup Tents.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Move the tent to a cool spot.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL. I thought my buddy was nuts when I saw his little 5,000 btu set-up outside of his tent at the "The River" (Parker AZ.). It worked great. Nobody cared about the noise, because it's a 24/7 party place.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure guys in the rear in Vietnam had A/C in there tents, but they had access to unlimited power !

If it is well above 90F and there is no shade available, a rain fly will help a lot. Just to run a reasonable fan, where you have no "shore power" is going to require a couple hundred watts of solar and probably two 6V golf cart batteries to get you through a night.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Mr. Charles. Tents are mobile. If it is hot gain some elevation.

I have no need for power in a tent.
I have little need for power in an RV.
I bring no phone, no tv and do not play movies.

The whole point of going out there is to unplug.

* This post was edited 09/08/20 01:10pm by ppine *

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Squad tents had the canvas sleeve that fitted around the cooling unit. I think the modern version even has a distribution sleeve down the top center of the tent.
Haven't been in one in years but close your eyes and you can still smell them.

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys have been RVing too long....many CGs now supply 20 amp service for all sites, including tents, popups and other small trailers like teardrops. Everybody now has a need for device charging, lights, etc.

Even the folks that are "roughing it" still need to charge their smart phones to post those Instagram pics of the camping life!

You can get a portable unit like this Black & Decker on Amazon and just rund the hot air duct out the window and the condensate drain out the door.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> What is best AC unit for Tent Camping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.