cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar Cable Tangles

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Hello; I have two solar suitcase panels that I set outside the RV. I run an 8 gauge solar cable out to them. I have a couple of sets of cables so I can add length if I need to, for a total of about 20 feet. Of course, each cable has 2 cables, a + and a -. My problem is that is a lot of cable and gets tangled easily.

How can I combine the + and the -? I thought about plastic wire conduit but even 1/2" isn't big enough for two 8 gauge cables. I also considered just using pieces of electrical tape every couple of feet but the tape gets crappy after a while. What can I do to avoid a tangle?

Thanks for your ideas.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO
12 REPLIES 12

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
Zip ties? That's literally what they're for, right?

Yeah, but zip ties have that nub on them to get caught on everything, including your hand. And I've never had any, even the UV "safe" ones, that lasted in outside applications. But that's my experience.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

dedmiston
Zip ties? That's literally what they're for, right?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since we're tossing ideas around, and you already have your cables.... How bout sliding on some 1-2" sections of good quality heat shrink tube. Maybe every 3'? Fairly cheap and easy. Dunno if it would keep the twist out though, but just an idea to toss out.
TIG welding torch cables are often jacketed in a nylon or leather protector sleeve. Usually velcro along the edge. Maybe make a custom one from heavy vinyl tarp or sunbrella fabric. Or get all Gucci and go with Kevlar.... 😄
I've seen that 3M tape Bob mentioned and it does seem to have some pretty magical ability to stay good for a long time.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Do you need 8g? How about a 12g extension cord?

Run high voltage from the panel and have the controller near the batteries.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Use SOOW neoprene wire. Dual. Then interconnect with WEATHER PAK twin conductor unbreakable submersible connectors.

The SOOW wire remains limp as a cooked noodle at 0F

It isn't cheap. But it is fabulously easy to handle and store. I have SOOW that I purchased in the 1980s

No spool needed. Everything else I tried failed due to absurdly difficult handling problems. I do not need a 2-hour fight every time I go to unpack and stow.

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Search amazon for braided wire loom - aka. snake skin. Sizes listed are minimum sizes. The loom will expand more than twice its diameter for installation. Then coil onto a small spool or reel.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need to pull the wire straight off the reel so there is no added twist.
If they need to be pared I would use zip ties.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Learn how to do an electricians storage for cable. Or learn to "fold" every second loop.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've used 3M 35 red tape for 3 years to help located irrigation emiters in plants. Still looks good. Available in hardware strores in different colors to suit your needs.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Either a split loom or a spiral wire loom would probably work well. These are often available at auto parts stores.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Those must be big panels or far from the controller if you are using 8 gauge.”Tangles” are another reason for roof mounted panels.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad