cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair Help (Sealing)

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
The instructions warned me but I screwed up anyways when I mounted the storage brackets for the Stablecampers on my AF 1150. They were right, you don’t want to have to remove these. If you ever put these on learn from my mistake and be sure there isn’t any interference. In my case I should have mounted them further towards the outside of the camper. Where I mounted them they came out right above the rails on the truck bed. I was shy about a half inch, now I get to fix the spots (4) where I removed them. That adhesive is some tough stuff.

What would the proper material be to fix these (4) spots? It seems like the paint used is some type of vinyl as it melted pretty easy when I used the heat gun to soften the adhesive.

Thanks,
Rick

2019 Ram 3500 CC/8' bed/DRW/4WD/factory air leveling
CTD HO/Aisin/4:10/max tow package
19 REPLIES 19

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
Bought some Plastidip yesterday and will give that a shot first.

Thanks,
Rick

LeslieCovin1974
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Riley01 wrote:
What kind of paint would you use? This is more like a membrane type material than paint.

I don’t think it really matters since it will almost never be seen, but plastidip would be a good choice if you wanted more of a membrane type look.

plastidip real a good alternative, to do this!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
For membrane - like finish, use polyurethane caulk. It will dry to rubber-like compound
But application can be messy.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eternabond. Clean it well as per instructions. Use a roller to really squish it down. Forget it ever happened. And unlike your install, get this right as the Eternabond is so named for a reason.... 😄
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Riley01 wrote:
What kind of paint would you use? This is more like a membrane type material than paint.

I don’t think it really matters since it will almost never be seen, but plastidip would be a good choice if you wanted more of a membrane type look.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Rick

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Riley01 wrote:

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
How about a rubberized undercoating spray paint. We have a version of this on our TC. It was recommended by our TC manufacturer for the underbelly and rear overhang for touchups.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CT49AS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Riley01 wrote:
There won't be any standing water and it doesn't get very wet there......

That’s why I’d just paint it.

Thanks,
Rick

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Riley01 wrote:
There won't be any standing water and it doesn't get very wet there......

That’s why I’d just paint it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I knew how I was going to do this but now I'm rethinking it.:h There won't be any standing water and it doesn't get very wet there......

Thanks,
Rick

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would paint it with a good paint.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I would laminate it with epoxy. You can add color to epoxy.
Per my experience eternabond can actually create problems as you can't see where it did not stick to the surface and it will funnel the water on your structure.

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
I sure do appreciate all of the great suggestions. I think I'll give the Eternabond tape a shot and just keep an eye on it.

Thanks,
Rick

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Plastidip spray?