cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LCI leveling jacks pump motor replacement

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, leveling jacks on the Georgetown (see signature) quit working completely yesterday. Hear clicking of relays, motor won't run. Verified with volt meter there is 12 volts going to the motor, but it isnโ€™t turning, so definitely the motor.

This is an LCI jack system, 2012 model. Part # I found on the motor was 414850. Quick search or two brought up that this was going to be a very expensive motor - LCI wants $932 for it, even Amazon wanted around $800. Yikes!

Then, found THIS post on IRV2 forum with some guys talking about a much less expensive alternative at Western Motors Service (WMS) in Rockport, IL. Apparently they make this same motor for less than half the price and it works fine with these LCI leveling systems. Their part number is W-414850. And, it is made in the USA (unlike the one LCI makes), and costs less than half the price, $395!

I just ordered this motor from Western Motors. Verified with them that there IS a slot at the back to turn, run the motor manually in an emergency if you have to. You can't tell from the pictures they give, but she assured me it does have a slot in the back to allow manual operation. She indicated they sell 100s of these for just this application on RVs. You have to order it the old fashioned way (call them), they apparently don't do online shopping. Will post back here once I get it installed (gets here Tuesday next week), if anyone is interested.

Anyway, wanted to share this, so that anyone else that faces a burnt pump motor on their LCI leveling jacks can save a good bit of coinage, too. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")
4 REPLIES 4

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update:

Got the new motor from Western Motor Service, and yesterday evening put it in. Leveling jacks are working again. ๐Ÿ™‚

A few notes/comments about the WMS motor I used:

Some comments on the thread on IRV2 forum suggested that the polarity is reversed on this motor, and you have to reverse the two wires. I found that not to be the case, the polarity of the two sides was marked correctly. I believe WMS corrected that at some point.

The access port on the back to run the motor manually if you need to, is not quite like the one the original motor has. There is only a paper sticker covering it, not rubber like old one. I may well look into putting a better cover on it, don't want dirt getting in there. The connection is just a slot, not an allen head like old motor. You'd have to connect a regular, flathead screwdriver attachment to your drill to manually turn the motor. May not work quite as well as the allen wrench connection old motor has.

On the output side of the motor, The slot was ever so slightly too small, and coupling link would not go into it. A few minutes filing down the two sides of the coupling link solved that problem, though. Motor then bolted right up, and works great.

Old motor will be going to a local motor/alternator repair shop I've already talked to that is willing to rebuild it. Once it is repaired and working, will keep it handy for a hot spare.

At any rate, bottom line is the WMS motor works perfectly, and costs less than half what the original replacement motor costs that LCI, Amazon, and a few others sell. Wanted to post this, so anyone else that has to replace this motor will know the WMS motor works fine, and will save you several hundred $$.

Now that we got the jacks working, time to get back out camping. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl

Robbie_Welch
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem. I took it off and took it to the local starter Alternator repair shop and they repaired it for next to nothing. The main problem was the dirt and grim in the motor because of it's location.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
You should be able to take the motor to any Alternator/Starter shop in your area that rebuilds motors. As a RV Service shop we do this all the time. They rebuild all types of RV related Pump motors for us. Doug

I was actually planning on doing exactly this with the old motor once I get it off, so will have a hot spare ready to go if need be.

Thought of just having current one rebuilt, but ultimately decided due to time constraints of an upcoming trip, to go ahead and order a replacement motor this time.
Will and Cheryl

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You should be able to take the motor to any Alternator/Starter shop in your area that rebuilds motors. As a RV Service shop we do this all the time. They rebuild all types of RV related Pump motors for us. Doug