cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid drive thru Salt Lake City

rvdivers
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if there is any way one can get from Northern Utah to Southern Utah without going through Salt Lake City or traveling on mountainous roads. We are a 40' Class A towing wanting to avoid the traffic, construction, and congestion that always seems to prevail on I-15. Thanks for any input!
Steve'n'Kris
17 REPLIES 17

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
rvdivers wrote:
Just curious if there is any way one can get from Northern Utah to Southern Utah without going through Salt Lake City or traveling on mountainous roads. We are a 40' Class A towing wanting to avoid the traffic, construction, and congestion that always seems to prevail on I-15. Thanks for any input!

You’re probably already there but I would just avoid rush hour and drive it. Worst would likely be the construction, MP 284-279, Lehi area.

2nd lane from the right, avoiding the “must exit”, and drive on. Check this website over coffee before getting on the road after 9 AM:

https://udottraffic.utah.gov/

Safe travels!
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I just didn't find the traffic in SLC to be that bad.

obgraham wrote:
Atlee wrote:
Then obviously you haven't driven on I-95 from Northern VA around DC and past Baltimore.
Sure have. The difference is that the Beltway is usually at a full stop. SLC is full of lane jumpers and hopped up Hondas!
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I towed through the City of LA. From The Cajon Pass to Dockweiller RV Park next to the Pacific ocean, just south of the LAX runway.

I didn't find it that bad. I found going from outside the beltways on I-85 to downtown Atlanta much, much worse and I was in a Class B then.

dedmiston wrote:
If I had to choose my own ring of Hades when I die, I'd much rather tow through SLC than through Los Angeles County (any time of day).

We've towed through SLC many times and as long as we avoided the worst morning/evening rush it wasn't too crazy. Try to avoid the weekends too, unless you can sneak out of town Sunday morning while folks are at temple.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
We drove thru SLC twice over the last 1 1/2 weeks and it was no big deal, other than minor construction traffic. It was nothing compared to the insanity in NorCal.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

kedanie
Explorer
Explorer
SLC isn’t any different that any large metro city. Traffic can be bad or just fine depending on time of day. No city has an exclusive on crazy drivers, they’re everywhere.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Then obviously you haven't driven on I-95 from Northern VA around DC and past Baltimore.
Sure have. The difference is that the Beltway is usually at a full stop. SLC is full of lane jumpers and hopped up Hondas!

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
The first time we drove through SLC towing a 20 ft travel trailer my lovely was so scared she cried the whole way.
The last time we drove through Nevada to avoid it.

Jesseannie

dedmiston
rvdivers wrote:
...or take a long road around the whole state. 🙂

Seems like it would be a lot faster to just bite the bullet and muscle through the traffic, but I guess it also depends on how much you hate traffic.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rvdivers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great responses ~ much appreciated. I imagine we'll either attempt it very early on a Sunday morning or take a long road around the whole state. 🙂
Steve'n'Kris

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
SLC traffic is what it is.

But, the worst drivers in the world live in Pittsburg and Antioch, CA. They attempt to drive highway 4 but probably learned how to drive on computer games where there are no rules or laws. It's the only explanation.

Imagine driving 70 and getting freight-trained by a large number of cars all doing 95+. It's the only place in NorCal where there will be an accident, almost daily, prior to 5 am and sometimes prior to 4 am, when there isn't traffic. How can you get into an accident when no one is on the road?

I lived in LA and Orange County a long time and used to think that Los Angeles had the worst drivers. But this small section of highway takes the prize. The bad drivers in LA don't even come close.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Been through SLC many times, both directions, different times of day. I just get in the second lane from the right and go with the flow.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those terrible drivers on the 15 near SLC are all California transplants....LOL We're spreading out everywhere. Soon to be in a town near you.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have driven I15 through the SLC area numerous times. I certainly agree it is a nightmare. Regardless of the traffic the drivers seem to be demons from hell determined to drive over 70 mph at all times. Not only that but the nightmare continues for a great many miles until you have driven well south of Provo.

Fortunately there are alternatives of a sort. You will need to drive south through the Odgen area, then down I215 and cut West on I80. That way you will only have 30 miles or so of insanity as you pass through Odgen.

I80 West is decent and you only need to go a few miles to route 36 south to Eureka. At Eureka you can cut back to the East and rejoin I15 just south of Provo. Another option is to take Route 6 west to Delta and then take route 257 south to Minersville. You can then cut east and rejoin I15 or continue south on route 130 to Cedar City. Regardless of which of the options you take you will not lose too much time.

At one time I would have highly recommended the ride to Delta and then Cedar City. Times and Utah have changed and I find the area very depressing. The beauty of the open areas has been destroyed. On weekends especially, you will see large numbers of Utahns on dune buggies and motor bikes tearing up the landscape. Further south of that you will see huge tracks of land dedicated to wind power and a solar farming.

dedmiston
If I had to choose my own ring of Hades when I die, I'd much rather tow through SLC than through Los Angeles County (any time of day).

We've towed through SLC many times and as long as we avoided the worst morning/evening rush it wasn't too crazy. Try to avoid the weekends too, unless you can sneak out of town Sunday morning while folks are at temple.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230