Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Cracked Dash
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cracked Dash

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
d1h

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/20 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any of you guys out there have the Chevy Silverado that has the cracking dash issue? I got a 2009 with a couple of cracks. Anybody tried one of those Dash Skins? I was wondering how well they blended in and if the adhesive they provide stays stuck. I would hate for it to pop loose and end up with a bigger mess than the cracks. I also thought about having the cracked portion replaced but I'm sure that would cost a fortune.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's inevitable for any Chevy truck parked outside. Most folks I know use the carpet cover to hide it. Also keeps cracks from getting worse by keeping off direct sun. You can also drill the end of your cracks to relieve stress, and cover it up with a sticker, emlem, etc.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2008 suburban with the same problem.
I never got an estimate but, I have read on different forums the price for replacement is $12-1400.
My questions for the dash skin were the same as yours. I learned to live with the cracked dash.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aha, something that the Ram and GM have in common. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely skin it. For about 100 bucks you can buy the kit. Easy installation and looks almost identical to a new dash that you'd spend over $1200 for. Stay away from the 'carpet' fix. It fades almost immediately, and just looks cheap. You'll find that a lot of dealers go the skin route on their older trucks. Dodges are also notorious for denigrating dashes.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

d1h

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Definitely skin it. For about 100 bucks you can buy the kit. Easy installation and looks almost identical to a new dash that you'd spend over $1200 for. Stay away from the 'carpet' fix. It fades almost immediately, and just looks cheap. You'll find that a lot of dealers go the skin route on their older trucks. Dodges are also notorious for denigrating dashes.
It appears you bought and installed one. Are they difficult to get to stick down to where they are invisible to the eye and blend in with original dash? And do they stay stuck or will they eventually pop loose?

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d1h wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

It appears you bought and installed one. Are they difficult to get to stick down to where they are invisible to the eye and blend in with original dash? And do they stay stuck or will they eventually pop loose?

Over the years I've actually done a number of them. They install and stick down easily, and are quite form-fitting, but I quickly learned after the first one to use additional double-sided tape. Actually they look quite nice, and have caused no issues to my knowledge.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine has been cracked on 2011 Suburban for a couple years. I have a DashSkin in my Amazon Wish list, but have not ordered or installed one yet. Pay attention to your interior color RPO code and center speaker cutout option.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cracked Dash
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.