cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Decals cracking

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th wheel is 7 years old and decals are beginning to crack.
My question, is there anything I can coat them with to keep them from peeling?
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
17 REPLIES 17

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
303 washes off in the rain, per a call to manufacturer regarding outside use. I do use the stuff on my tires because it doesn't affect the anti-oxidation compounds in the rubber.

As I posted somewhere some years ago, there is this stuff Marabu Classic Clearshield, which is a UV inhibitor for professional use on vinyl graphics. Not sold on Amazon etc., only from pro-suppliers like Lexjet. I had to use my company name to order, but was able to pay with credit card. It is $30 for a quart which is way more than you will ever need. You put it on with a brush.

A review here: https://signs101.com/threads/liquid-laminate-for-latex-printers.143736/

HighwayPilot
Explorer
Explorer
DannyA, I am having the same issues with my class B, Did a search and came across the video on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSzhSks0PG4

Seems to work.
Virgil, May & Fred (the yellow Lab) ๐Ÿ™‚

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even with 303 it is a losing battle. It all starts with cheap low quality materials that builders use.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Nope, keep 303ing or waxing them and get the most outta them you can.

I HATE cheap vinyl decals on stuff exposed to alot of UV. With the RV industry, it is like an epidemic of planned obsolescence.
Some recommend scraping the decals right away before you get discoloration in the siding, but then your camper look like a FEMA trailer.
I've been slowly cutting back the "splash" looking decals on our old camper, keeps em from looking too raggedy. And you cant really tell since they are irregular shaped. If I actually had spare time, I'd scrape em all and either do some vinyl wrap, paint or get a new set of decals.

Mine mostly started to curl, and did the same , trimmed them back. It got to the point where you could actually see the border where they used to be. There is no secret they are eventually going to go bad, then its either replace them , or paint new ones .

There is no way I know of to hide where they were, the oxidation around them is nearly impossible to buff out. The shadows will show.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how long aged graphics might be to get off but on cars etc a hair dryer and a lot paitence and pulling and peeling possibly.
A Good RV Service Center may have dealt with this many times.Certainly the factory has. Call the factory and try to speak to a tech in their service department...unless you don't care and are going to trade it etc.If i could I would paint on new graphic of your design or copy the decals,if the pint or fibergalls finish is still good.

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
That is what I was looking for some type of finish/sealer to keep them from starting to peel. If anyone knows a product give me a name please.
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
12thgenusa wrote:
Seven to ten years is about it for graphics no matter what you do.

My rigs 30 yrs old and with a few minor exception the graphics are OK. I used an acrylic finish. How long they last may depend on how they are protected, where you live (ie how much exposure to baking sun).
Kevin

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Seven to ten years is about it for graphics no matter what you do.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Apply 303 every 6 weeks on entire exterior of trailer.
It only takes me 30 minutes on a 30ft trailer using a car wash mop.

Sound a little excessive? Perhaps but it works.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
DannyA wrote:
No peel yet, just a few cracks.

If you are lucky, they may not peel. My sun side, when parked has cracked, but I still use 303 on them, couple times a year, with no peel yet.

Jerry

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I have not used 303 so can not comment on it. I have however used McKees Graphic and Vinyl restorer with good results on my graphics. The graphic were starting to show there age.

https://www.mckees37.com/rv-vinyl-decal-graphic-restorer.html
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
It takes a lot of work and time to get them off.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nope, keep 303ing or waxing them and get the most outta them you can.

I HATE cheap vinyl decals on stuff exposed to alot of UV. With the RV industry, it is like an epidemic of planned obsolescence.
Some recommend scraping the decals right away before you get discoloration in the siding, but then your camper look like a FEMA trailer.
I've been slowly cutting back the "splash" looking decals on our old camper, keeps em from looking too raggedy. And you cant really tell since they are irregular shaped. If I actually had spare time, I'd scrape em all and either do some vinyl wrap, paint or get a new set of decals.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
No peel yet, just a few cracks.
2011 F250 Ford diesel