Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Used TC: does it have a lien?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Used TC: does it have a lien?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just make sure you check , and double check with your state. In nj it was a pita to register my TT. Every state is diffrent. So only your DMV will know for sure. Then check that there right too. Lol.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

Maybe you ought to call California DMV and ask them to check the VIN ??

TC are cargo in CA, therefore DMV will have no records. Also my campers did not have VIN, only manufacturer serial number.
I never heard about situation like it, but my guess would be that any lien would originate at original sale.
Where is the original receipt?

[image]

bwlyon

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the person you are purchasing the camper from is the original owner, there should have been an MSO which is a manufacturers title given to the purchaser. However, sometimes the dealer will hold onto the MSO. The original purchaser can call the selling dealership to see if they retained the MSO. If they did, the original purchaser can call and request the MSO, and explain that the camper is being sold to a person that requires titling and registration. Also make sure there are no liens on the camper.

TruckCamperNoob

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well - we figured it out and made the purchase! For future readers, the Idaho DMV doesn’t even know their own rules, you definitely need to title and register a TC in our state. The seller was able to provide evidence of loan payoff and we wrote up a purchase agreement where the buyer represents they are the owner of the TC and are selling free and marketable title. We paid half now and took possession of the TC, and will pay the remaining balance on receipt of the title (7-10 days to process).

So, for the moment, we have a gigantic, expensive lawn ornament... still don’t have a truck!! Hahaha oh well...

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

For future readers, the Idaho DMV doesn’t even know their own rules, you definitely need to title and register a TC in our state.

Told 'ya..LOL

Enjoy the new TC.

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the current list of states from Truck Camper Adventure that currently require the slide-in truck camper to be titled:

Idaho
Kentucky
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana
Ohio
Oregon
Tennessee
Washington

[image]

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey burbman, are we talking just a title here, or an actual plate. Does anyone know ??

Title and Plate are two different documents. Plate is registration, Title is ownership. Plate would probably require renewal fees every year, but title is one time document, requires sales tax in those states that have it.

I don't know of any states that require a plate, and have never known or seen a TC plate on a TC ... but was not exactly looking either. Been in nearly every state camping numerous times, and many states pretty often.

Have heard a few times truck plate must be visible, and our Lance covers our truck plate. Have been camping in TC since 2002, and never been stopped or asked for registration for truck when plate is not visible. Have heard some campers move the truck plate to the TC so it's visible? I've never done it tho.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 12' campers do have licence plate brackets and lights on them.
That said, I wasn't very particular with plates. Front plate is 100% covered by generator when I travel.
Rear plate occasionally gets moved to camper, but then few times I forgot to move it back and drove pickup without the plate.
But just becouse I got away with it - doesn't make it legal.
To my knowledge title is always coming with plates requirements.
Than each state has different laws.
In California, all trailer and cargo weight must be included in truck declared registration, therefore trailers have permanent plates with no separate fee.
TC is cargo so even less that that.
Are there other states who require such weight declaration?
In NV (Clark Co) I pay separate for truck (about $450) and separate for cargo trailer (about $120). No weight declaration and camper is cargo.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Hey burbman, are we talking just a title here, or an actual plate. Does anyone know ??

In idaho,it's just a title and the truck plates goes on the camper..Then you have to have an RV sticker for the camper.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

These are the states that require a title. If you click the link in my post, the next part of that article is the list of states that require registration. Interestingly they are not all the same states.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Used TC: does it have a lien?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.