Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Used TC: does it have a lien?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Used TC: does it have a lien?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Faststreak

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/20 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Mississippi and a title is not required on a truck camper. I’ve had three TCs and not title. My buddy has one same thing no tlitle. It’s considered cargo.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Utah requires titles on camper that are 2015 and newer.
No plate on my camper, it stays on the truck.
The camper is registered separate and I get a little sticker to put in a back window that costs me $10/year.

I went thru the hassle and got a Utah title for my 1995 camper.
I like having proof of ownership other than just a piece of paper signed by the previous owner.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as plates, the plate needs to be visible. It does not have to be on the actual truck, just visible and lit up at night, so you put the plate on the TC no matter if the TC needs to be titled or not. Though I have forgotten and left the plate hidden and not had any issues, I even got a fake parking ticket from a ranger (warning parking ticket) and he crawled under the TC to look at truck plate. He did not seem to b concerned that the plate was covered. I usually tow trailer, not that time, so the trailer acts as the plate, though the truck prop needs to display the plate, they can get all info off my trailer...

In non-plate states the TC is just considered cargo, no different than an ATV or your in-laws couch you got suckered into hauling.

In this instance you are buying a CA TC, not an ID TC. It does not really matter where the seller currently lives, because all the paperwork is from CA and since CA is not a plate state (and Im having hard time believing CA is not using this as tax revenue) then there will be no DMV records for the officials to look at. I am wondering how can there be a lien to begin with? No title, no ownership paper trail, no nothing, just some sales receipt from a shady RV dealer. I think you are safe to proceed .

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

I don't know of any states that require a plate, and have never known or seen a TC plate on a TC ... but was not exactly looking either. Been in nearly every state camping numerous times, and many states pretty often.

Oregon does, bottom of page 2: https://www.oregon.gov/odot/DMV/docs/OtherVehicleTypes.pdf

There, now you’ve heard of one. [emoticon]

p.s. Since this is on the west coast, it’s just called a ‘camper’ as opposed to those travel trailers some call campers. [emoticon]

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

I don't know of any states that require a plate, and have never known or seen a TC plate on a TC ... but was not exactly looking either. Been in nearly every state camping numerous times, and many states pretty often.

Oregon does, bottom of page 2: https://www.oregon.gov/odot/DMV/docs/OtherVehicleTypes.pdf

There, now you’ve heard of one. [emoticon]

p.s. Since this is on the west coast, it’s just called a ‘camper’ as opposed to those travel trailers some call campers. [emoticon]

Thanks, just never known of one, not that I checked every state - yes, absolutely, Formerly California kid here - and been all over the country for many years in my Truck Camper, AKA camper on the west coast. [emoticon] [emoticon] And yup, been to Oregon too, got family in Forest Grove.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/20 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

And yup, been to Oregon too, got family in Forest Grove.
Cool. We’re 5 minutes from Forest Grove.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

And yup, been to Oregon too, got family in Forest Grove.
Cool. We’re 5 minutes from Forest Grove.

Our Dad worked for the college, and lived in Cornelius for years before FG... Hope ya'll are safe from the fires and smoke.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

I went thru the hassle and got a Utah for my 1995 camper. It took over 3 moths to get one because apparently there are people who work for the DMV here don't know the rules and regulations either.

Every year I pay $10 for one of these stickers. That's all I need.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Used TC: does it have a lien?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.