cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp surge protector

Family-of-five
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever have their equipment saved by a surge protector? I just sprang for a new one for my rig. Has indicators that show correct current or reversed bad ground and so on. Its SSP 50 xl if you are wondering. Got some good revues.
30 REPLIES 30

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
cavie wrote:

Ask the tech if he is a Master Electrician. A surge usually hits and burns out electronics and never starts any fires or melts anything. It is a very fast jolt of very high electricity.

I agree, the "tech" has no clue. The "surge" word is used excessively, just like the word "short", to describe so many electrical problems.

Ok ok. Everything is perfect. No damage done to anything. Itโ€™s strictly my imagination.

Lol, us internet folks have a better idea what you experienced.....better so than you. Grin

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
cavie wrote:

Ask the tech if he is a Master Electrician. A surge usually hits and burns out electronics and never starts any fires or melts anything. It is a very fast jolt of very high electricity.

I agree, the "tech" has no clue. The "surge" word is used excessively, just like the word "short", to describe so many electrical problems.

Ok ok. Everything is perfect. No damage done to anything. Itโ€™s strictly my imagination.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
cavie wrote:
campigloo wrote:
cavie wrote:
campigloo wrote:
I had a Progressive on mine. A surge hit it and fortunately we were in the trailer and were able to save it when we smelled the burning wires. The Progressive didnโ€™t stop squat.

You smelled burning wire because of loose connections. No surge protector of any brand will protect from loose connections.

It was a pwm30 and there were no loose connections. The burnt wires were attached to the lugs on the device. The tech confirmed from the pics that it was a surge.

I just love it when someone argues with the messenger. campigloo is reporting what the tech said and cavie wants to argue with the tech. Clue: do you argue with a newspaper report?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
cavie wrote:
campigloo wrote:
I had a Progressive on mine. A surge hit it and fortunately we were in the trailer and were able to save it when we smelled the burning wires. The Progressive didnโ€™t stop squat.

You smelled burning wire because of loose connections. No surge protector of any brand will protect from loose connections.

It was a pwm30 and there were no loose connections. The burnt wires were attached to the lugs on the device. The tech confirmed from the pics that it was a surge.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
campigloo wrote:

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
The EMS has shut down for low voltage a couple of times (probably saved AC from damage), once for a ground fault, and once for reverse polarity, but never had a surge problem.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
ken56 wrote:
Yep, bad lightening storm.
You should unplug during lightning storm.

I always do but it sucks when an unsuspecting storm hits at 2am.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Yep, bad lightening storm.
You should unplug during lightning storm.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, twice. Parks insisted it was our rig till we showed them there was no fault running off our generator.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Family-of-five wrote:
Anyone ever have their equipment saved by a surge protector? I just sprang for a new one for my rig. Has indicators that show correct current or reversed bad ground and so on. Its SSP 50 xl if you are wondering. Got some good revues.

Not that I was aware of--however the surge device I was using had an indicator "service" light. After about 2 years it no longer came on--so I assume it "fell on its sword" protecting my RV.

Something most folks don't know. A "surge only" device will work when it is in parallel with the device you wish to protect (in this case, an RV).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cavie,

Click the advance post button

you will see a bunch of icons at the top

look at the envelop icon

now click the globe sort of thing to your left

paste in the url you wish to share

enter a description of the link

click finished

For example

https://fast.com/ will become

speed test
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
cavie wrote:
Family-of-five wrote:

that is a surge protector only. It does not protect from high and low voltage. You need an EMS $250-$300.00

https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-vs-surge-suppressor/?fbclid=IwAR3yx1bcMOia0kJcJsOT-fPluEY-jPUA-rmNUwmN0s6qLo0_1M3_i4tQ-P0

Made your link clickable.

Clicky

thank you. I need to learn how to do that.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I always check voltage under load, and polarity before I plug in.

Low power is endemic in campgrounds in the summer time with everyone's air conditioner dragging down the voltage.

I prefer to fix it with a Sola Basic Autoformer.

I doubt if there is a surge device that I could afford that would protect me from a lightning strike. But--unplugging works.
Regards, Don