Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: 50 amp surge protector
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > 50 amp surge protector

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/11/20 12:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Family-of-five wrote:

Anyone ever have their equipment saved by a surge protector? I just sprang for a new one for my rig. Has indicators that show correct current or reversed bad ground and so on. Its SSP 50 xl if you are wondering. Got some good revues.


Not that I was aware of--however the surge device I was using had an indicator "service" light. After about 2 years it no longer came on--so I assume it "fell on its sword" protecting my RV.

Something most folks don't know. A "surge only" device will work when it is in parallel with the device you wish to protect (in this case, an RV).


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/11/20 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, twice. Parks insisted it was our rig till we showed them there was no fault running off our generator.


2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!


2oldman

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/11/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

Yep, bad lightening storm.
You should unplug during lightning storm.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/11/20 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

ken56 wrote:

Yep, bad lightening storm.
You should unplug during lightning storm.


I always do but it sucks when an unsuspecting storm hits at 2am.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/11/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The EMS has shut down for low voltage a couple of times (probably saved AC from damage), once for a ground fault, and once for reverse polarity, but never had a surge problem.


Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

Senior Member

Joined: 06/27/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/11/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

campigloo wrote:

I had a Progressive on mine. A surge hit it and fortunately we were in the trailer and were able to save it when we smelled the burning wires. The Progressive didn’t stop squat.


You smelled burning wire because of loose connections. No surge protector of any brand will protect from loose connections.


It was a pwm30 and there were no loose connections. The burnt wires were attached to the lugs on the device. The tech confirmed from the pics that it was a surge.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/28/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/12/20 12:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campigloo wrote:

cavie wrote:

campigloo wrote:

I had a Progressive on mine. A surge hit it and fortunately we were in the trailer and were able to save it when we smelled the burning wires. The Progressive didn’t stop squat.


You smelled burning wire because of loose connections. No surge protector of any brand will protect from loose connections.


It was a pwm30 and there were no loose connections. The burnt wires were attached to the lugs on the device. The tech confirmed from the pics that it was a surge.


Ask the tech if he is a Master Electrician. A surge usually hits and burns out electronics and never starts any fires or melts anything. It is a very fast jolt of very high electricity.


2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/12/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

campigloo wrote:

cavie wrote:

campigloo wrote:

I had a Progressive on mine. A surge hit it and fortunately we were in the trailer and were able to save it when we smelled the burning wires. The Progressive didn’t stop squat.


You smelled burning wire because of loose connections. No surge protector of any brand will protect from loose connections.


It was a pwm30 and there were no loose connections. The burnt wires were attached to the lugs on the device. The tech confirmed from the pics that it was a surge.


Ask the tech if he is a Master Electrician. A surge usually hits and burns out electronics and never starts any fires or melts anything. It is a very fast jolt of very high electricity.

I just love it when someone argues with the messenger. campigloo is reporting what the tech said and cavie wants to argue with the tech. Clue: do you argue with a newspaper report?


Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB


Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/12/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:



Ask the tech if he is a Master Electrician. A surge usually hits and burns out electronics and never starts any fires or melts anything. It is a very fast jolt of very high electricity.


I agree, the "tech" has no clue. The "surge" word is used excessively, just like the word "short", to describe so many electrical problems.





campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

Senior Member

Joined: 06/27/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/12/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

cavie wrote:



Ask the tech if he is a Master Electrician. A surge usually hits and burns out electronics and never starts any fires or melts anything. It is a very fast jolt of very high electricity.


I agree, the "tech" has no clue. The "surge" word is used excessively, just like the word "short", to describe so many electrical problems.


Ok ok. Everything is perfect. No damage done to anything. It’s strictly my imagination.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > 50 amp surge protector
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.