cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problems With Newer Powered Awning

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Keystone Hideout with what I'm certain is/was the cheapest awning available at the time. It worked okay for a few years and then seemed to be slowing down when retracting. Finally, with plenty of power and from difference sources (battery/generator/shore) it ground to a halt while retracting. I jumped up on the picnic table and "helped" it while DW held the button and it eventually came back in.

So, back at home.... do some research and it seems the most likely culprit is a failing motor. So, I throw down the $83 (30 of which I'm sure goes directly to Bezos) on Amazon for a replacement POS Chinese motor. It works better..... but still is A LOT slower retracting than extending and I feel as though I'm going to be in the same boat again with a stuck awning.

Small aside here... I was initially (and still am, I suppose) annoyed at the power awning. The manual awnings on all of my previous RVs have worked perfectly and I never felt exhausted or injured after rolling them in/out but I digress.

So, with this new (better?) power awning I have one more thing that can break and it apparently has. These powered ones are a bit more simple, I suppose, in that they have no torsion springs and are mechanically very simple. They can just be rolled in/out by hand very easily (do be careful though as once you take out the motor it quickly extends). Anyway, I can feel no resistance when rolling in/out by hand but the motor (old and new) both seem to struggle to retract.

Is anyone else a bit further down this road of awning hell and willing to share some vision?
9 REPLIES 9

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again everyone..... I was at a friend's today with a similar age/type awning and gave his a run out/in and it looks about like mine does now with the new motor. It makes sense that it comes in slower than it goes out due to the struts. I probably never noticed before but once it failed I'm now over-analyzing it. Anyway, at least it's one more thing I now know how to fix.

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same awning and I think the same replacement motor. My replacement has been on for about 3 months now. working fine so far. I often extend the awning to have shade to do things in the driveway besides camping use.

I believe that retracting is slower than extending because of the gas struts. They provide resistance when retracting but also help during extending.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
mtofell1 wrote:
Thanks everyone....

Awning brand is "Solera" - Original motor brand was "Venture MFG" - Replacement is "JL-Brand" - I get that these motors are cheap and can deal with them wearing out. I just expected the new one to at least start out working like it did when it was new.

I don't believe there are any springs. Once the motor is removed it just rolls in and out freely.

I haven't removed the struts to check but they seem to feel as they always have and extend/retract easily as the awning it pitched up/down.

Everything has been lubed

Solera---LCI. JUNK. Sorry, but LCI awning motors are junk. Better to go with aftermarket like you did. LCI is the one power Awning that does not have a torsion spring. Doug

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mine is a Dometic 9100 , with gas struts. IIRC, mine comes in much slower than going out, and I'm thinking this is due to the struts helping on the way out, but impeding, due to compressing them on the way in.

Jerry

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone....

Awning brand is "Solera" - Original motor brand was "Venture MFG" - Replacement is "JL-Brand" - I get that these motors are cheap and can deal with them wearing out. I just expected the new one to at least start out working like it did when it was new.

I don't believe there are any springs. Once the motor is removed it just rolls in and out freely.

I haven't removed the struts to check but they seem to feel as they always have and extend/retract easily as the awning it pitched up/down.

Everything has been lubed

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
State brand of awning. From your description you may have a LCI(Lippert) awning. Most electrics still have a Torsion spring(rear). YES, Manuals are better. But, People like electronics and Electric awnings are here to stay. Especially for older or impaired RV owners that cannot easily operate a manual. Did you get the OEM motor or a "motor" that fits your awning? Doug

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
lube moving parts, I use silicone spray and hold a rag close to the area so it doesn,t go every where. spray then work it in an out. yours might need done a few times.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your awning arms are fitted with gas spring structs, you may want to test them to be sure they're working properly.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has 2 torshen knobs that MUST be tightened/loosened every time you move it. Also you must lube any moving joint.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.