Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: No 12v input from battery, 2004 Terry Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> No 12v input from battery, 2004 Terry Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
BEagen

Huntington Station, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I accindentally installed one of my two, 6v batteries backwards, creating a reverse polarity. Since then, the trailer's converter will not recognize 12 volt battery input. I read about the possibility of a separate, resettable breaker that is used to protect the converter in such a situation. I've looked high and low and cannot find one. I have a 2004, Fleetwood Terry 300BH trailer. The fan in the converter runs when plugged into A/C power, but won't recognize the (new) 12 volt house battery. Interesting, the 12v systems work when the trailer is plugged into the the tow vehicle. Any advice greatly appreciated.

2oldman

The Q

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a bit confused on how ONE backwards creates reverse polarity. I would think that means you connected them in parallel instead of series, resulting in 6v, which is not recognized.

If you come back, please post a wiring diagram.

* This post was edited 09/11/20 04:01pm by 2oldman *

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My trailer fuse panel has a reverse polarity protection fuse.

Did you double check you connected the 2 x 6v batts in series?

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Converter should have 'reverse polarity' fuses.....depending on amp size of converter One or Two 30A fuses
Depending on converter they could be on DC Dist Fuse Panel or on converter

They blow if battery cables are reversed and then NO 12VDC from battery to DC Fuses

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

BEagen

Huntington Station, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman: The two 6v were in series, but one was inadvertently reversed. I assume that created a reverse polarity situation. Sorry, I don't know how to post a diagram.
carringb: Wiring diagram shows a 40 amp fuse between the battery and converter but I can't find it. Believe me, I have looked and looked...
Old-Biscuit: I agree. But, cant find anything like that. No 30 amp fuses on the DC Dist Fuse Panel; just 15s and 20s.
I need to find the in-line fuse/breaker somehow. Thanks for all your comments and insights.

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BEagen wrote:

2oldman: The two 6v were in series, but one was inadvertently reversed. I assume that created a reverse polarity situation. Sorry, I don't know how to post a diagram.
carringb: Wiring diagram shows a 40 amp fuse between the battery and converter but I can't find it. Believe me, I have looked and looked...
Old-Biscuit: I agree. But, cant find anything like that. No 30 amp fuses on the DC Dist Fuse Panel; just 15s and 20s.
I need to find the in-line fuse/breaker somehow. Thanks for all your comments and insights.

If you connected the batteries neg to negative and then connected the other two terminals to the trailer wiring, nothing would happen, power only flows in one direction.
Where the main RED battery wire connects at the rear or front of the DC fuse panel, there has to be a fuse. The fuse boards come that way. Maybe someone stuck a 20 in there.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BEagen wrote:

Follow the battery cable (likely the negative) from the battery to where it goes under the trailer look for small (approx 1" x 1.5") circuit breaker (box). Should be 2-3 ft from the battery, it may or may not have a reset button.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

BEagen wrote:

Follow the battery cable (likely the negative) from the battery to where it goes under the trailer look for small (approx 1" x 1.5") circuit breaker (box). Should be 2-3 ft from the battery, it may or may not have a reset button.

Except -----
Fuse will be on POS cable
On the a-frame and will be a small 2 stud box...reset is typically on side of the DC Circuit Breaker

Example: DC Circuit Breaker
[image]

Example: Reverse Polarity fuses on DC Dist Fuse Panel----40A
[image]

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Boon Docker wrote:

BEagen wrote:

Except -----
On the a-frame and will be a small 2 stud box...reset is typically on side of the DC Circuit Breaker

[image]

Example: Reverse Polarity fuses on DC Dist Fuse Panel----40A
[image]

One should note that the breaker shown in photo IS a "self reseting" or "auto reseting" breaker (IE no reset button to push) and is typical breaker used by RV manufacturers.

HOWEVER, in order to get this breaker to auto reset, one MUST REMOVE BOTH POWER SOURCES (IE converter must be powered down AND the battery source must be disconnected from the circuit). Once all power has been removed from the circuit then and only then will the breaker reset.

Do that first before throwing parts at this.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Except -----

[image]

My circuit breaker is on the negative cable of the battery.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> No 12v input from battery, 2004 Terry Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.