cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone towing a TT with new Silverado 1500, 3.0L diesel?

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious if anyone here is towing a TT with the new Silverado 3.0L Duramax 1500. If so, how do you like it? How well does it tow, up hills especially? How does the towing compare with the same truck, but with gas 5.3L V8? What fuel mileage are you getting with it city/highway and towing a TT? Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

MissyandRob2005
Explorer
Explorer
So just got home from a long weekend trip from California to Arizona and back pulling a 30 foot camper with the 3.0 RST. Towed pretty nice. The camper was at the top of what I would tow with it though and this trip was the furthest I would actually go. That being said I averaged 13.6 MPG and stayed between 55-62 mph. The truck handled it well, even the hills. The camper has a hitch weight of 980lbs. and an empty weight (we only tow empty) of about 6600 lbs. Coming home I did have a few hundred pounds extra in the bed (wife's mother passed away and we brought home some boxes).

MissyandRob2005
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Curious as to what the payload is on a 3.0.

Google search says 1870 lbs

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Curious as to what the payload is on a 3.0.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

MissyandRob2005
Explorer
Explorer
I will let you know soon enough. Just picked mine up 3 weeks ago and getting a TT within the next couple of weeks.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I can't compare, other than a generalized "our previous diesels (1 each of the Big Three) outpulled my Silverado" - but our 5.3 V8 got about 11.4 mph pulling our (small!) #4500 20' TT on a recent trip. We ran around 65 mph on relatively flat expressways. Ed got around 13+ mpgs pulling our car hauler with a large SUV loaded (around #5000) but that's much more aerodynamic than a TT....LOL!

Our previous diesels pulled our 30' 5th wheel like it wasn't there. Going up mountain highways, it just boosted the turbo a little bit - if the truck actually downshifted, Ed and I would laugh and say "Oooh - steep!" The 5.3 downshifts a lot, and generally runs over 2000 rpms when in tow/haul mode - BUT: as my also "daily driver" - the Silverado is one sweet truck. We don't camp enough to justify the cost and extra maintenance of a diesel, nor does our trailer require it.
Deb
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious too. I tow with a new 5.3 8 speed and I would be surprised if the diesel pulls better but I'd like to know. My 5.3 pulls pretty good.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Very rare in California. I watch for them closely. Three spotted, none towing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad