cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tire pressure

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
do you run the max pressure in your tires as written on the sidewall? I have the Endurance, and it states 80# psi. Seems to me you need to take the outside temperature into consideration. I an reluctant to inflate to 80 psi and go on the road when it's 90% out. Then it becomes a guessing game, what psi at 90, at 75, at 45 degrees. 8200lb 5er. The sidewall does read, max pressure, so should you put less due to the temp? Or let the pressure go well over the 80 because of the heat?
rich
31 REPLIES 31

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Oh yea, AWESOME choice of RV tires!!!

I agree , second best choice he could of made :B Sorry couldn't help myself 😛

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
Always run trailer tires at max pressure no matter how many axles.
Maybe if you're running ST tires, but I run my Sailun "G" rated tires at 95 psi rather than the 110 psi that is the max pressure. Makes for a much smoother ride. And with 2000-2500 lbs. per wheel I don't need to run the max pressure.

Same here ,but a little more pressure then you , usually right at 100 psi is what I am running them now .

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
ACZL wrote:

IMO, better to air on side of caution. Semi tires are at 95 to 110 all the time.
Intentional or unintentional pun? 🙂

My high school English teachers would probly kill me as I wasn't sure which "air" to use.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear recommended it. Corporate. I did not ask if he was a engineer and would love a tire engineer to weigh in. This is the manufacture recommendation.

Long story but when I blew a tire this year coming home from Branson I knew it was time to put a set of new tires on and get rid of original tires. I ordered new tires from tire rack, but after delays of a month and a half I called Goodyear direct and they laughed and said i could get a set installed the next day at a Goodyear dealer in Tulsa.

I canceled my order at Tire Rack and just went to a Goodyear dealer.

Not passing judgement but think that TR just wanted to sell cheaper tires...
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh yea, AWESOME choice of RV tires!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Know your ACTUAL tire weights!!! Then use the weight/inflation chart for your RV tires. Now add 5psi to what the chart says. Per GY Tech when upsizing load range or wanting the best possible ride, tire wear and stopping power.

Class Dismissed!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:

IMO, better to air on side of caution. Semi tires are at 95 to 110 all the time.
Intentional or unintentional pun? 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I run max in my trailers and no problems at all w/ anything moving inside, ride is good and overall AOK. 1st 5er max was 80, and RV weighed 12,800 (out of 13,800 max weight). New RV, tires at 110, weight is 16,000 out of 16,000 (max weight). As we all know, all this weight isn't on the RV tires alone, but it's what it weighs when loaded up.

With my previous trucks (SRW) I ran max pressures and yes it made for a harsher ride w/o a doubt. Now w/ the DRW, I run PSI from door jam label and all seems to do well. Still can go up to 80 if need be, but don't need to. Fronts are 70, rears are 65. Makes sense to me.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
DogTrainer wrote:
I just had the Goodyear Endurance installed 5 days ago. Goodyear recommended and told me to keep the tires AT 65lbs per tire unless I was at MAX LOAD.

Do not run tires at MAX LOAD unless at full weight capacity
Goodyear recommended it, or the guy at the tire shop?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
I just had the Goodyear Endurance installed 5 days ago. Goodyear recommended and told me to keep the tires AT 65lbs per tire unless I was at MAX LOAD.

Do not run tires at MAX LOAD unless at full weight capacity
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Rich&Mar wrote:
do you run the max pressure in your tires as written on the sidewall? I have the Endurance, and it states 80# psi. Seems to me you need to take the outside temperature into consideration. I an reluctant to inflate to 80 psi and go on the road when it's 90% out. Then it becomes a guessing game, what psi at 90, at 75, at 45 degrees. 8200lb 5er. The sidewall does read, max pressure, so should you put less due to the temp? Or let the pressure go well over the 80 because of the heat?

Rich....best pressure for long service life/mileage for tires on a trailer depends on OEM axle capacity along with actual scaled axle weights.

However if no scaled axle weights then use the trailers OEM axle size numbers with maybe 10-15 percent max reserve capacity mostly to help eliminate side stress internal issues when tire on a multiaxle trailer side scrubs going around corners or tight backing maneuvers.
If the Endurance are the OEM size and load range then use max sidewall pressures.
If the trailer is over tired (D to E) then use Goodyears minimum tire pressure/load charts and add 10-15 psi to that number at a minimum.

I've found tires with lots of service life/old tires can rupture from over pressure vs a new tire. Tires like that has lots of bruises = weak spots....and lots of stories to tell.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have run my trailers tires at max sidewall pressure for over 30 years with no blowouts or even a flat tire. If I were still towing today I would continue that practice. Most trailers are loading the tires to very near their maximum load and the tires need all the help they can get. I also upgraded my tires and rims from stock "C's" to "E's" as the tires wore or aged out.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MikeRP wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
Always run trailer tires at max pressure no matter how many axles.
Maybe if you're running ST tires, but I run my Sailun "G" rated tires at 95 psi rather than the 110 psi that is the max pressure. Makes for a much smoother ride. And with 2000-2500 lbs. per wheel I don't need to run the max pressure.

I was just wondering if you only have 2500 lbs per tire, why did the manufacturer put g rated tires on your rig? I agree you probably don’t need to run that weight at max pressure. I’m probably at 3000 lbs per tire loaded.
It's a triple axle toyhauler that came with "E" rated ST tires from the factory. They were the notorious "China bombs" and I had two blow out within 2 years. I wasn't about to go back with another set of ST tires, and LT tires would have been okay, but not great. So I went with the Sailun "G" rated tires. When I bought them, they were labeled "LT" tires, but stated on the sidewall: "For Trailer Use Only", and now they're labeled "ST" tires.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:
Just so everyone knows: The burst pressure of a tire is many times the max pressure. Unless a tire is on fire, there is no risk of the tire bursting on its own without it being damaged by some object - even in Death Valley!

Interesting...I know it would vary, all ST tires not being equal, in quality and design, but what would you consider a possible psi bursting point of the OPs GY Endurance E-rated tire, if air is continuously added? I know you can not give an exact psi, but maybe a range of psi guess?

Jerry

Over 200 psi!

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com