cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well water

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
We are at a permanent site that we love but the water source is well water and the sulfur smell is very strong. We have a filter but it doesn’t really help. We never drink the water anyway but would like suggestions on what to do about the smell.
11 REPLIES 11

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
SB a lot of articles/post on how to remove sulfur smell from wells. It's a common issue.
Kevin

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
here is one to eliminate the smell.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Npdchief07 wrote:
We are at a permanent site that we love but the water source is well water and the sulfur smell is very strong. We have a filter but it doesn’t really help. We never drink the water anyway but would like suggestions on what to do about the smell.

Use an activated carbon filter to eliminate the H2S smell.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Sulfur will be a challenge to remove but you could ask the well owner to drop chlorine tablets into well then all you need is a simple charcoal filter at the RV to remove chlorine.....believe me it works.

Google hydrogen peroxide injection tanks and see if anything is available for RVs as this is the most effective method I know of to eliminate sulfur.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water softener is of no use.
I have been on wells for decades. The H2S hydrogen sulfide mostly occurs in hot water as a byproduct from algae. You can charge the well with Chlorox to improve the water quality. Follow your county regulations. Usually it takes 1-2 quarts down the well head to do the job.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
There are filters, and then there are better filters. The basic ones simply filter out sediment. Better ones filter far more. Some people buy the much better home type filters although it sometimes takes a little more imagination to install them.

Well water info

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
An RV water softener would likely solve your issues.
2010 Suncruiser

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Just be sure that the smell is present at the hydrant to rule out issues in your RV.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
I have a well at home, your smelling Hydrogen sulfide, likely smells worse from the hot water than cold. Not sure they make a portable filter for it, you'll have to do some google searches. I have a potassium permanganate filter at home.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
try another type of filter.
bumpy

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
How many people use the well?