cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee Step Motor Replacement

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
we have had to replace our step motor twice now over the years we have owned the coach (2007 original owners) we have been using an ACI 83694 motor. last one was installed just over 3 years ago. Has this been the norm for other folks or are you using a different replacement motor? Thanks
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
11 REPLIES 11

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
As others have suggested - step motors usually last a LONG time. Is the motor dead or have the gears busted? Is the step installed correctly? Do you have binding issues? You can remove a cotter pin and bar which which connects linkage between step/motor .. that way you can manually open the step and determine whether it moves smoothly.

Husband is very good about taking care of things, so yes it has been maintained. Husband changed it both times himself. It does not bind. Just wondering if we are buying the proper replacement motor. We've taken the current motor off and it appears the plastic gear inside is stripping just like the others did.
Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a 97 Winnebago Luxor and at around 15 years had to replace motor with power window motor. Sold it 3 years ago and it was doing fine. Had the new to me Monaco about a year and had to replace it also. Its to cheap, $35-$40, and 1/2 hour. Wish everything was that easy.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
The ACI motor was the best one I had in my 1990 Bounder. The one in the Winnie is doing fine.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ve replaced the step motor twice now on our 2012 Georgetown. It has LCI steps.

Replaced it first time a few years ago. Replaced it second time just last week.

Iโ€™m finding, that electric motors outside, exposed to the elements on these RVs, donโ€™t have a very long life. Step motor replaced twice, awning motor been replaced once, and now motor that runs leveling jacks has quit (just got replacement motor for it the other day, havenโ€™t put it in yet).

Bottom line, if you gonna own a Motorhome, you better be able to make at least some repairs like this yourself, or have very deep pockets.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Grease is the best cure!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
The steps still go out smoothly but stutter on the way in and don't quite make it all the way in. The same thing they did twice before, both times replacing the motor resolved the problem.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 12-yr-old Coachmen, and the step motor died. I replaced the motor with a Taurus power window motor, and the added torque finish stripping the gears in the gearbox. Replaced with a new integrated motor-gearbox and fixed the problem. BTW - the power input quill in the old gearbox was stripped smooth..
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
As others have suggested - step motors usually last a LONG time. Is the motor dead or have the gears busted? Is the step installed correctly? Do you have binding issues? You can remove a cotter pin and bar which which connects linkage between step/motor .. that way you can manually open the step and determine whether it moves smoothly.
Kevin

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Our 96 Southwind has the original steps/motor. I keep the joints clean and lubricated.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We got a 2004 Winnebago when it was 10 years old. It came with all the maintenance and repair records and the step was never worked on. They didn't go all the way in, almost but not quite. A little bending where it was binding and a little lube and it seems OK so far.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
No, my motor is original to the MH at 25 years old, had to repair control board, reinforced broken linkage, replace missing screws that attach steps to MH, repaired rusted through step areas, reset mag switch but have never had to touch the motor.