cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood water heater won't stay on.

Paul1944
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a barely used 2017 Shasta Oasis camper, hope I didn't buy somebody else's problems. Anyway, the Atwood water heater will not keep running after it kicks on, it stays on for only about a minute or so then it shuts off for 10-15 minutes before it kicks back on again. When I look in from outside there is nothing that I can see that would cause this such as spider webs or wasps nests. I did notice that when I first turn on the switch inside the camper the "DCI-FLT" light comes on. Any ideas or suggestions?
Paul & Margie
29 REPLIES 29

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
trailrider wrote:
So did the OP fix the problem?

Don't you love it when an original poster doesn't update a thread with what fixed the problem?
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD GAS!!!
1978 Chevrolet Silverado K20 4x4
2007 Komfort 277TS
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2018 Honda Rancher TRX420FA6
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
After it runs for a while and goes out, does it reignite by itself or do you reset the switch? Flame rectification is touchy and everything in the circuit has to be kept really clean. The ignition module gets a micro amp signal, through the ignitor, when the flame is present. The flame actually is part of the circuit and conducts the signal. The igniter rod and porcelain insulator needs to be clean. Wipe off the igniter rod insulator with a CLEAN cloth and alcohol and check it very very closely for any carbon tracking. Clean the igniter rod tip with Scotch-Brite pad or really fine sand cloth. Replace the igniter rod, if in doubt. They are cheap. Primary air adjustment is important and thatโ€™s why the flame should not be roaring or lifting because of too much air. If the flame lifts off the burner Or loses contact with the flame rod, the rectification circuit is broken and the gas valve will shut down immediately. Even the ratio of flame contact area between the burner and the flame rod is important. Make sure the end of the burner where the flame contacts it, is also corrosion free. The ground path from the burner to the module is also part of the rectification circuit so I added a copper ground wire between the burner and the module ground point and I used Deox on all the rectification circuit connections.
That covers almost all of the rectification issues and if you do all of these things, you shouldnโ€™t have a problem with the flame rectification signal. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
You have a low temp thermostat and high temp thermostat on the water heater. If you got five minutes run time on propane, that might have been enough to heat the water to a point the high temp thermostat shut it down. They don't cost much. I paid 20.00 or so for both I think. They are screwed into the tank you can see them and the wiring through the service door.
First get the manual if it has the info, we found it not very helpful, and service or help line did not work. I talked to a Tech who does a whole lot of work every day on RVs and he changed them for me.
Also check your manual. Our Atwood 05 model will operate with both electric and propane on. The next year it was either or. I think they changed it back.
You didn't mention, or did I miss the on off switch led lighting up indicating a fault in all this.Without being there I can't figure it out for certain.
A good Mobile Tech cost but he'll have it repaired in no time. Water
Heaters are a frequent demand for them.
Also our manual mentions some models have adjustable thermostats but ours didn't have it and I don't know if new ones do or not.
Also the red light ours is orange does not come on unless there is a fault even when first starting the water heater.
An check that tube again. You may have pieces of dirt dauber nest you knocked loose in there and not out of the tube.

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
So did the OP fix the problem?
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD GAS!!!
1978 Chevrolet Silverado K20 4x4
2007 Komfort 277TS
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2018 Honda Rancher TRX420FA6
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

asptrader
Explorer
Explorer
I have a problem very much like what Paul1944 describes...

-- New Atwood Gas G6C-8E-SP water heater in my RV
-- When Remote Switch is switched on, light turns red, then off within 10 seconds usually
-- Water heater stays on for 10 to 30 minutes, then turns off
-- The Remote Switch light does NOT turn back on
-- I cannot turn light off and then back on for an hour or two
-- After the shutdown, the sink running water is definitely warmer for 10-15 seconds so I know the heater has heated water. I assume that means there is water in the tank.

-- I installed a new RV Water Heater Thermal Cut Off Switch Kit Replace for Atwood 93866 - understood that it probably wouldn't make a difference but installed it anyway. It doesn't appear to break after cutoff and water heater can restart sometime later (like an hour or two later)
-- I purchased a new Atwood 91447 Thermostat Assembly and can install it if that would make for a difference

Old-Biscuit wrote:

"Model is GC6A-8E
Flame is more orange than blue.
There is a wire with what looks like a resistor in it, what is that for?"

8E has separate controls for electric & gas
ELECTRIC:
120VAC comes from a Circuit Breaker to on/off switch (backside of WH Tank) then thru set of T-stats to element (also backside of WH Tank)

GAS:
12VDC comes from Fused source to 'thermal cut out' (fuse in clear tubing----it blows at 190*F if flame blowback occurs and stops ALL DC to water heater. One shot device --replace if bad)
From thermal fuse DC goes to/thru TT-stat then to circuit board
Circuit Board then sends DC to ECO/Gas Valve AND spark electrode

From Old-Biscuit earlier comments, I take it that I should pay anything to the follow... Anything else?

=============
Posted earlier by Old-Biscuit
When flame lights off......is flame BLUE and quiet (very slight roar)?
IF NO (YOU stated more ORANGE then Blue)
Might need to adjust air shutter ---typically only needs to be roughly 1/4 open
Might need to clean orifice (soak in alcohol/air dry), clean burner tube (small bottle brush)
=============

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dusty R wrote:
A guy came to me once with that kind of problem once. I asked him if he had filled the water heater tank with water. He disappeared, for a couple of minutes then came back and turned water heater on, all worked fine then.

'trailrider' asked that question back on Pg 1 9/12/2020 and no direct answer.
"The obvious question is: "Is the water heater full of water?"
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
A guy came to me once with that kind of problem once. I asked him if he had filled the water heater tank with water. He disappeared, for a couple of minutes then came back and turned water heater on, all worked fine then.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
"After shut down for about 10-15 minutes the WH ignites again, the red light does NOT come on, runs for about a minute or so then shuts down again. This is a gas only WH, no electric."

One of 2 things
Spark electrode is also used as flame proving signal return
Electrode soot/carbon will impede the milliamp flame signal that circuit board must sense or it drops DC to gas valve
Clean tip using emery cloth

Circuit Board.......valve track on circuit board is failing

Contact Atwood (Dometic) and inquire as to getting a new board...they have had some issues and replace them for free.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
When ours did that, it was the circuit board

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is acting as though the water is hot and then after 10-15 min it thinks the water needs heating again to keep it hot. Must be a thermostat issue?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Paul1944
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
My gas only Atwood red light comes on first then goes out when the flame catches (you can hear that) and stays out

When I was having troubles getting it to light, the red light stayed on or would come back on after going out.

If the OP answers my earlier questions, that might help.

The red light comes on ONLY when the main switch is initially turned on. As soon as the WH ignites, the red light goes off and never comes back on again. After shut down for about 10-15 minutes the WH ignites again, the red light does NOT come on, runs for about a minute or so then shuts down again. This is a gas only WH, no electric.
Paul & Margie

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
My gas only Atwood red light comes on first then goes out when the flame catches (you can hear that) and stays out

When I was having troubles getting it to light, the red light stayed on or would come back on after going out.

If the OP answers my earlier questions, that might help.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suburban uses the Fault Light ON when switch is turned ON then it goes out when trial for ignition occurs then will come back on IF flame fails

Atwood??????
Fault light is triggered by a fault...flame failure or ECO

Fault Light Should NOT come on when 1st turning switch on

See pg 21 for testing 'Power Track', 'Lamp Test', 'Valve Track'
Atwood Service Manual

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Paul1944 wrote:
since the red "DCI-FLT" comes on immediately when I turn on the switch I'm beginning to suspect I have a bad circuit board. What do you think?
Unless I missed it - nobody seems to be responding to this. It is perfectly and completely normal for that light to come on immediately. That shows you've turned on the switch and there isn't a fun flame yet - it takes a few seconds to light.

As far as your flame going out after it lights - that is what your problem is.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics