cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 RAM CTD Diff Oil Change Question RE Gasket

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
When you changed the oil in your differential, did you install new gasket or re-use the old one?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
24 REPLIES 24

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bigfoot affair wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"But you wonโ€™t be able to have a look at the ring and pinion and clean the magnet. Not good IMHO."

Even when I was running a MagHytec that has drain and fill plugs I always removed the cover for inspection.

When you changed your engine oil did you remove the oil pan to have a look around? LOL!!!

No but I do let it drain overnight. I also do a Blackstone oil analyses.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot affair wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"But you wonโ€™t be able to have a look at the ring and pinion and clean the magnet. Not good IMHO."

Even when I was running a MagHytec that has drain and fill plugs I always removed the cover for inspection.

When you changed your engine oil did you remove the oil pan to have a look around? LOL!!!

That was my point , the average guy with some mechanical skills can change the differential fluid without a problem , but not a clue what heโ€™s looking at .

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigfoot affair wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Good point.:)

Cummins12V98 wrote:

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
The cover is 14 bolts. It is a metal and rubber, reusable seal, so unless it is damaged in some way, it should be just fine. Carefully wipe it off and examine both sides of it. New ones are expensive, about $45 or so. There are no drain plugs and you should pull the cover and examine the insides.

Do NOT use any sealer on this seal, just wipe it off and possibly wipe a fresh film of gear oil on it.

GM uses the same basic rear end on many models but they use a throwaway gasket.

Charles

And just exactly what is the average guy looking at when he examines the insides ? I have done my own maintenance on vehicles my entire adult life, that I could ,changing spark plugs ,points back in the day ,fluids, a lot of things that some pay to have done. I suppose if there is some chipped gears or something that is obviously worn, I wouldn't have a clue what I am supposed to be looking at in a differential .

I changed the fluids front ,and rear in the last couple years on my truck as well as friends ,and my sons. They all look pretty much the same to me, but I wouldn't know . Lets put it this way there is no indication of a problem with my differentials , would I like a drain plug, and magnet combination on mine to change the fluid, absolutely .

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The cover is 14 bolts. It is a metal and rubber, reusable seal, so unless it is damaged in some way, it should be just fine. Carefully wipe it off and examine both sides of it. New ones are expensive, about $45 or so. There are no drain plugs and you should pull the cover and examine the insides.

Do NOT use any sealer on this seal, just wipe it off and possibly wipe a fresh film of gear oil on it.

GM uses the same basic rear end on many models but they use a throwaway gasket.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:

But you wonโ€™t be able to have a look at the ring and pinion and clean the magnet. Not good IMHO.

you'll have the magnet/plug out to add fluid...so yes you can clean the magnet.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:
Can you not suck the oil out and not open the case ?

You sure can as this is the method most dealers use. Unless there's a drain plug.

But you wonโ€™t be able to have a look at the ring and pinion and clean the magnet. Not good IMHO.

x2

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:

You sure can as this is the method most dealers use. Unless there's a drain plug.

Bingo!
Better than not maintaining it, but not as good as doin it right.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"And I've heard the "Right stuff" gasket maker works awesome."

It's DA CHITZ!!! NEVER had a leak using it.

I do reuse my gasket on my 15 DRW RAM.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II