Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Flying Floating Flooring
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Flying Floating Flooring

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would do it in a heart beat.

I have installed laminate flooring in every room in my house over the years and just finished the last 15 foot by 25 foot one.
I firmly believe that the spacing around the edges is a CYA thing by the manufacturers.
In some of the rooms I had to attach portions of the laminate to the sub floor for one reason or another and through winters where the house was left in sub zero weather with no heat on I saw no change at all
We have a 40 foot trailer which I will never move on a permanent RV spot, and I intend on installing it in the slide so we can get rid of the ugly carpet.
If I were hauling the trailer I would not hesitate to glue it down

What ever you do, don't by the el cheapo stuff. It is next to impossible to install ( from experience !)

Guy

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely no problems with this method.
You might need less glue than you think.
There is no need for a floor 18 or 36 inches wide to float, only a house sized room. The "expansion" will be so insignificant.
Glue away.

Sometimes engineers are the least intelligent people I ever talk to..

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

...I can and have pulled the entire piece of carpeting out of the RV for cleaning. When it gets really dirty, I hose it off and even use a broom with soapy water.
And there is one of the best selling points for using a wood product or vinyl instead of carpet.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/20 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the weight of the rollers is a concern could you put a strip of flat aluminum there and paint to match the wood? It might not look TOO bad.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are worried about the slide scraping the floor try a few of those "slide slickers" that you put down to keep the bottom of the slide from dragging on the floor.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 02:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NJRVer wrote:

If you are worried about the slide scraping the floor try a few of those "slide slickers" that you put down to keep the bottom of the slide from dragging on the floor.

Lippert sells them for that purpose .

Grey Mountain

On the rez somewhere in Indian Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

NJRVer wrote:

Lippert sells them for that purpose .

Just bought one from my RV place. $45.
GM

2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For expansion of floating floors width is generally not the concern. Length is. If each piece will expand or contract say 1/16th inch (Hypothetical for explanation) per foot. A four foot wide floor would only change by 1/4 inch. A 20 foot long floor would expand 1 1/4 inch.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is my two cents. Just had my floor replaced in my trailer by a company that does this and who often work on Airstreams through our dealer. We went with an interlocking plank that is glued down. It gets above 100 degrees inside the trailer during the summer and close to or below zero in the winter. A floating floor will expand and contract and I believe would cause issues over time.

I do think that many of the horror stories you hear about are caused by people not knowing what product to use. Buy a cheap product that is meant to float and then glue it down is asking for trouble. I shouldn't use "cheap" because the product we went with was very reasonable. Talk to a professional installer who has done trailers and they will give you the information you need. Putting a floating floor in a house that only varies slightly in temperatures is not like doing one in a trailer.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aftermath wrote:

Here is my two cents. Just had my floor replaced in my trailer by a company that does this and who often work on Airstreams through our dealer. We went with an interlocking plank that is glued down. It gets above 100 degrees inside the trailer during the summer and close to or below zero in the winter. A floating floor will expand and contract and I believe would cause issues over time.

I do think that many of the horror stories you hear about are caused by people not knowing what product to use. Buy a cheap product that is meant to float and then glue it down is asking for trouble. I shouldn't use "cheap" because the product we went with was very reasonable. Talk to a professional installer who has done trailers and they will give you the information you need. Putting a floating floor in a house that only varies slightly in temperatures is not like doing one in a trailer.

Thats pretty helpful, I am considering pulling out the cheap linoleum in my fifth wheel that looks like planking , but not. I would like to put in some quality stuff the glues down. Could you give some brand names on that stuff you used .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Flying Floating Flooring
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.