cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are the campgrounds full in your area?

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I read lots of complaints about campgrounds being full to where one can't even make a reservation and I'm wondering if that is a national problem or just one west of the Mississippi.
We don't count because we cancelled everything for this summer due to the virus and the RV has sat under cover since last October.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)
34 REPLIES 34

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
Floridastorm wrote:
I've been considering purchasing a motor home for quite some time. As of late I notice that there are very few reasonably priced used MHs available out there. My understanding is that due to the virus hysteria and panic, along with most means of transportation either curtailed or requiring draconian regulations, that so many people are buying RVs. The RV market has basically dried up unless you are able to purchase new. I also think that this is the reason why so many RV Parks and Campgrounds are packed. With nowhere to travel by plane, train, and cruise ships, possibly millions of people are seeking other means. Traveling long distances in one's car is tiring and costly. So, the next best thing is an RV. For those of us that don't feature spending overnight in a Walmart or Rest Stop an RV park or campground is a necessity. As such I am seriously reconsidering any purchase now or in the near future. ๐Ÿ˜ž
My feelings exactly. I thought it was semi-tough pre-covid to get good spots it must be insane now trying to get in somewhere. I suspect many great RV deals in the near future. In the mean time, plenty of FR-3's and Ace's for sale lol.

As an alternative to RV parks and boondocking I wonder if just staying in motels/hotels would work out. I know that motels or hotels are somewhat more expensive than RV parks and for some people would defeat the purpose of having an RV, but at least you are not jammed into tight quarters and having to put up with all sorts of park regulations not to mention setting up and tearing down the unit.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Floridastorm wrote:
I've been considering purchasing a motor home for quite some time. As of late I notice that there are very few reasonably priced used MHs available out there. My understanding is that due to the virus hysteria and panic, along with most means of transportation either curtailed or requiring draconian regulations, that so many people are buying RVs. The RV market has basically dried up unless you are able to purchase new. I also think that this is the reason why so many RV Parks and Campgrounds are packed. With nowhere to travel by plane, train, and cruise ships, possibly millions of people are seeking other means. Traveling long distances in one's car is tiring and costly. So, the next best thing is an RV. For those of us that don't feature spending overnight in a Walmart or Rest Stop an RV park or campground is a necessity. As such I am seriously reconsidering any purchase now or in the near future. ๐Ÿ˜ž
My feelings exactly. I thought it was semi-tough pre-covid to get good spots it must be insane now trying to get in somewhere. I suspect many great RV deals in the near future. In the mean time, plenty of FR-3's and Ace's for sale lol.

PanryJeremy
Explorer
Explorer
When I lived in Florida, I did have some problems with camping.

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Im booking for next year and am finding parks full. The northeast pa, nj , ny area is usally packed anyway, but now more so. Lots are booking and dropping reservations also, it will get better when when stuff starts opening up, but utill then book early.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Not all full, but most are implementing limited occupancy.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
yes!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
Wife and I always enjoyed camping after labor day because of ease of availability.....NOT THIS YEAR, everything booked.

Next year will be interesting to see if all the new RVers hold course.

yup, same here. I can usually book later in the season for our favorite spot up at the Cape Cod. We have always found sites available . As you said...NOT THIS YEAR. We ended up booking a differant campground

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Just checked three state parks in southern Arizona and all are full for the next few weeks. Nothing available, not even tent sites. This has been going on for these campsites for a few months. We had some luck earlier in the summer on the coast of Oregon but got ran out due to the smoke from the fires. Many people had to leave for that reason but as soon as they left, more people from inland Oregon came in for those campsites. Checked out the sporting goods stores and shelves were empty for camp supplies in Newport.
Good luck!
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I always enjoyed camping after labor day because of ease of availability.....NOT THIS YEAR, everything booked.

Next year will be interesting to see if all the new RVers hold course.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Braces wrote:
Just spent 2 hours calling cgs in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and Smokies Natl Park. Of the over a dozen that I called none had a site available for 3 consecutive nites in October with several saying no sites until mid November

This is a popular area and you will need to book a year in advance, COVID-19 or not. My wife and I are already discussing will we will go in Oct of 2021 so we can go ahead and book it.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
We snagged the last spot at a RV resort here for the weekend. Think they have over 200 spots but it is a pretty big area in the hills with lakes and whatnot.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just got back from 2 weeks in the Rockies, Bighorn Mtns, and Black hills. If we stopped by 4:00 we had no problem getting a site.
We only have a 17' TT so we have more options that the longer units.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Covid campers have places pretty much booked solid a month out for the places I've been looking. State park? - forget about it.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS