cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AGM upgrade

guinness1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Coachmen Chaparral. The original battery finally died. Can I upgrade to an AGM battery? Any other changes need to be made? Or is just “Plug N Play”?
2012 Coachmen Chaparral 330FBH
(2021 GD Reflection 337RLS coming soon)

(2021 Sierra 3500HD DMax SRW LB - on order)
11 REPLIES 11

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
corvettekent wrote:
AGM is still a lead acid battery so no need to change your charging system. BTW you will not be upgrading by switching to the AGM as it won't last 8 years.

If you don't already have one a multi stage, multi battery chemistry, battery charger is advisable.

Coming from the marine world, where you don't want batteries gassing into the bilge of your boat, I am a big fan of AGM batterys.

Expect up to 3 times the service life out of an AGM compared to a wet cell. I got 9 seasons out of my 4D Lifeline. It performed well to the end when death was quick. It was never left on a battery tender during its typical 5 months of storage each year.

2019-2020 the battery was left without any attention for 9 months & had power to operate 5er legs & slides before it was connected to a charger.

No they are not cheap. The payoff is in years of maintenance free service.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you change to Lithium, almost positive it will require a change to your Converter, because Lithium is the battery that requires special charging.
I recently changed to AGMs and contacted Progressive about my converter and was told I was good to go.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to consider a change to Lithium batteries... expensive, but, long term costs re generally lower, and features and advantages may outweigh initial cost. LifeBlue has a version which can be charged down to -4 degrees - typically, Li batteries can't be recharged below 32 degrees...

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
guinness1 wrote:
I have a 2012 Coachmen Chaparral. The original battery finally died. Can I upgrade to an AGM battery? Any other changes need to be made? Or is just “Plug N Play”?

8 years is fantastic life !

Upgrading depends on the converter charger you have. Likely it is a WFCO. Upgarding to a Progressive Dynamics with Charge Wizard will guarantee the maximum life of your new battery.

I have a Cabelas AGM ,bought in June of 2012, still going . Have always charged it back up as soon as I was done with it. I can still get about 5 hours out of on my one man inflatable pontoon boat fishing.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
I did add a cheap (China) monitor with a shunt to check voltages and amps.

As long as it is "reasonably" accurate, then it is worth what you paid for it. !

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, as I upgraded to "Progressive Dynamics with Charge Wizard" as I lost 2 batteries with short life. Happy so far. I did add a cheap (China) monitor with a shunt to check voltages and amps.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
For best answers post your converter model number and the specific battery you intend to use.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
guinness1 wrote:

8 years is fantastic life !

Upgrading depends on the converter charger you have. Likely it is a WFCO. Upgarding to a Progressive Dynamics with Charge Wizard will guarantee the maximum life of your new battery.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
AGM is still a lead acid battery so no need to change your charging system. BTW you will not be upgrading by switching to the AGM as it won't last 8 years.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
guinness1 wrote:

The only thing I know about them is overcharging kills them.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You can change to an AMG. However, as others have written...

“AGM batteries are designed to be charged at a low rate and slowly. Unless your converter/charger can tell difference between an AGM and flooded battery it will charge the AGM like it's a flooded battery, which will work but it also will shorten the life of the battery.”
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad