cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Caps on personal property

dutchev
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of you fulltimers ever had a personal property loss on your rig. It seems that all electronic devices has a cap of 3,000 dollars. It also seems there might be caps on other things. Any ideas ?
11 REPLIES 11

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Anyone with a special situation needs to disclose that when the policy is written.
The most common policy off the shelf is just the low cost minimum coverage.
If you go with the basic you are self insured on many items.

I fully agree, however those with special situations might not realize that they have 'special situations' (i.e.- items requiring a separate rider to be fully covered) until they have it explained to them by a competent agent.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone with a special situation needs to disclose that when the policy is written.
The most common policy off the shelf is just the low cost minimum coverage.
If you go with the basic you are self insured on many items.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the real issue is many Today buy online without agent interaction or have agents who donโ€™t fully explain coverage. Then they donโ€™t READ the actual policy when they get it. Homeowners also have these same limits and most , until they have a loss , havenโ€™t a clue they arenโ€™t really covered Have you read your policy? Too hard? Then have a good agent to explain it to you.
Bill

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
The whole insurance situation is very complex and misunderstood, if understood at all, by most.

For example, very few businesses include business interruption coverage in their coverage. Why? Either they're not offered it, or it's not explained well by the agent. Hence, in case of a loss, it can be devastating.

Same thing with individuals who assume certain things are covered, only to find out that they're not. A simple, low-cost rider could have prevented a financial loss, but again, many insurance agents don't even mention them. Hate to say it, but riders are low-commission items, and they can involve a lot of work when it comes to itemizing and valuing.

If you feel an agent has misguided you, or has failed to offer appropriate coverage, please remember that they almost always carry professional liability insurance (much like a doctor, Realtor, etc.), so don't be concerned about going after them. They, like any other professional, should be held accountable.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a horrible experience as a full timer. I thought I had insurance appropriate for a full time RVer. I even went to an independent agent who specialized in setting up insurance for full time RVers. He was recommended and worked with my mail service provider in South Dakota.

When we had a major theft we found out the coverage was not sufficient. In most cases, people have homeowners insurance which provides coverage so coverage for RV insurance would be a duplicate service with duplicate costs. Of course, that is not true for RV insurance. After the loss I tried to find appropriate coverage. I eventually found a policy that worked but it took a long time and was very frustrating because most agents just don't understand and most insurance companies just want you to use their services even when they are insufficient.

Sure you might also need a rider for expensive items such as musical instruments or cameras. That is in addition to the issue that most RV insurance policies are very limited in theft or damage coverage for personal property aside from the RV.

If you are a full timer, check the fine print. You are likely to find that your policy provides little or no coverage except for the RV itself.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
You asked this last week re your musical instruments. Don't you like the answers you got?

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Standard on homeowners policies. There are caps on many things. Electronics, jewelry, art, collectibles, tools and most everything else you could spend a whole bunch of money on.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Homeowners policies have limitations for those type of items also, so it's really nothing particular to a full-timers policy. As other said, you can usually insure them with a rider or separate stated value policy and pay the extra premium required to do so.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Consult with an independent insurance agent.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should not be an issue to increase the limits for an additional fee.
You may need to declare the items and value that you need covered.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes read the policy limits and have your agent add riders for additional values you want insured. Itโ€™s best to have a agent who knows what they are doing.
Bill